• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tiki bar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    I am looking at a marlin 1894 for my kids for deer hunting and was wondering if there is a big difference in recoil for these two calibers
    in a rifle? thanks!

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I recommend the .44because I believe it will be more versatile than the .357.
    I'm pretty recoil sensitive, so I put a slip-on recoil pad on mine.
    If your child could handle a 20 gauge, I'd think they could handle the 44.
    On the other hand, if you handload you could tailor your loads for recoil tolerance. Or you could shoot .44 specials. Either way, if the recoil is too much now, it might not be when they grow a little. Handloads or .44 specials would let them shoot now and give them time to grow into the gun.

That's my :twocents:

Doug

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I think the 357 gets sold short in a carbine. I know a guy who has taken several deer in the 100-120yd range with one - use a well constructed bullet and it will work. There is a difference in felt recoil; obviously other factors come in to play as well beside cartridge. I let my daughter's boyfriend use may 500Mag carbine when we would go hunting which left me with a 20" 357Mag to use, it bothered me not at all.

csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    I can't speak to the difference on in the Levers, but I have shot and H&R in both and the difference was negligible. I also agree with DB that I feel a good .357 will get the job done for you.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Can't go 357 with you guys, a .35 hole is smaller than a .429 hole, bigger hole = more blood = more game recovered

Download 44's to practice with and change your sight for the hunting loads in season, after season go back to light 44's

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    .357 mag/.38 spl is cheaper and more versatile for hunting. The .44mag/44 spl. will give you more potential range because of retained energy.

With would you rather have?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The trajectory of both is essentially the same for similar loads. So that shouldn't be a factor.

I like .357 because it accomplishes the task with a minimum of fuss and makes a dandy small game carbine as well.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I am looking at a marlin 1894 for my kids for deer hunting and was wondering if there is a big difference in recoil for these two calibers
    in a rifle? thanks!
    I have shot an 1894s several times. .44 mag/spcl with 240, 225, and 200 grain loads. They do not have any real recoil. I would say like a .410, maybe? I think you will be very surprised with the recoil from one of these rifles. I also say go with the .44 especially to hunt.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    in a rifle? thanks!
    In a carbine, it probably will not matter, how old are the kids, weight, how long have they been shooting.... Might want to start them of with .44 spl., loads, then move them up...

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    The way I see it is,

You have to get both! :D If the kids are too small to shoot the 44 you have the 357 for them to use. How many kids? You may need more then one each! What are you going to use? One Marlin in the safe will get lonely, you do not want that to happen, do you? :D So see!! You need both! And maybe more then one each.
    So tell the Wife you need to get both because I said so! :D Oh just do not tell her where I live!!! :yesway:
    Then let us all know how this works for you! We will be waiting! :popcorn:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    My 1894C really didn't recoil. Kind of bounced a bit. With .38s, it just kind of went "pop." A very easy, and VERY fun gun to shoot. Very accurate, too. The .357 is good enough for deer, just bear in mind the limitations. With my handloaded .38 target loads, it was a doozy for bunnies, too.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Make sure to do some research before you go for the Marlin in .44. The twist rate is WRONG on that gun. It took me a while before I could find ammo that didn't keyhole at 100 yards. The twist is too slow and the bore is too large. I have problems if I shoot anything over 300 grains. The faster I push lighter bullet, the better it does. Hopefully my experience isn't typical, but I've read many accounts of the same on the web.

I believe most .44 Mag rifles are 1:20 and the Marlin is 1:38. Way too slow.

Indycar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Birthplace of Steve McQueen
    If you reload, you can tailor the bullet weight and velocity of the load to the recoil capability of the little ones. The .44 is very versatile and can be loaded down to gallery load power and up to full bore and still achieve wonderful accuracy.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county

All marlin and most winchester lever are 1-38 twist. the winchester black shadow and a few others are 1-20, the ruger carbine 44 is 1-20.

1-38 is perfect for 200-265 grains bullets and 95% of ammo sold is under 265 and most likely 90% sold is 240 grain. I do see the need for 300 for big bear or elk or moose if all you had was a 44 mag. The bigger problem was marlins 444 with 1-38 twist and microgroove. Marlin latter changed it to 1-20 for bigger bullets.

If you want to shoot the big grain bullets the 45 colt long 1894 has the tighter twist but then you have to reload ammo to get the big bang. Factory loads are for the old revolvers that can't handle hot loads.

I would not let twist rates get to you to much if it's an Indiana deer/target gun. I have yet to see a bear, elk or moose here.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Recently shot my sons Win. .44 lever action, and,frankly, was suprised at the recoil. I'm pretty used to my .44 Redhawk, figured the rifle would be pretty tame; using factory 240 gr. ammo, it kicked a bit more than my 30-30 Marlin. Still plan to buy one, but for kid use, starting out with light loads would make sense.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Wow! I never would have thought the .44 Mag would kick more than the .30-30.
    Has anybody else had experience with both?
    Did you find the .44 to kick more than the .30-30?
    Inquiring minds want to know...

Doug

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Make sure to do some research before you go for the Marlin in .44. The twist rate is WRONG on that gun. It took me a while before I could find ammo that didn't keyhole at 100 yards. The twist is too slow and the bore is too large. I have problems if I shoot anything over 300 grains. The faster I push lighter bullet, the better it does. Hopefully my experience isn't typical, but I've read many accounts of the same on the web.

Actually the bore diameter often is the bigger of the 2 issues. Some people have had to go to cast bullets with a slightly larger diameter. I had one of those rifles that even after being sent back to the factory would not group up. I didn't feel like going that custom cast route - they are out there - so I got rid of it.

Top Bottom