• ...and so much more!
  • Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    To those who reload .44 Magnum-

Is there anything special I need to know beyond what I'll find in my Lyman reloading manual?

Are there any particular components, pieces of equipment, etc., that you've found to be great, or that I should avoid?

also what size primer do you guys use.

Thanks.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Great Caliber Jerm..

Mostly Large Pistol (standard) Primers.
    Large Pistol Magnums for H-110/W-W-296.

A 240gr. cast Keith Type SWC is a GREAT all around target load. A lot of people load this with 2400 powder.

Most all companies have a good 240gr. JHP for anything on 4 legs (Or 2 for that matter)

A lot of loaders like the Hornady XTP with a heavy load of H-110/W-W-296.

DO NOT load under Min. spec. for H-110 or W-W-296. See warning on data site..

Go to the Hodgdon.com web site for GREAT load data on your .44 Flamethrower...Bill.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I reload other magnums and .45 Colt +P, so maybe that qualifies for having an opinion...

The Lyman manual is my favorite. There's always more to learn but after reading the Lyman manual a few times you'll be ready to go.

For magnums I like to crimp in a separate operation from bullet seating so I have Lee Factory Crimp Dies for all my revolvers. USUALLY the neck will split first on a magnum (high pressure, brass stretching, firm crimps) BUT keep an eye on your case length (use calipers) to make sure you stay under the limit, you don't want to introduce problems by having brass that's too long.

.44 Mag uses Large Pistol Primers. Depending on the powder you choose, you can select standard or magnum primers. The load data will tell you what primers were used during load development. I like Alliant 2400 powder for magnums and is a great powder for beginners... it's much less sensitive than H110/W296 and it uses standard primers (not magnum primers).

Last edited:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    as kludge said..

Jerm, you DO want a FIRM roll crimp. Mostly for holding the slugs in the case until complete burn is made in the case. Also to prevent "Bullet Jump" and tying up a revolver.
    The first time that you jump a bullet foward on a revolver, you WILL remember to run a tight roll crimp..HA HA...Bill.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    If you want to load comfy-to-shoot,accurate ammo,rather than full power boomers,get some 240gr cast SWC's [as mentioned],and some bluedot or unique-still blow thru a deer at 1000fps or so, but alot easier on the ears and gun;,good cheap fun! Enjoy

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I run 180 and 200 gr JHP's on max+ charges of WW296 with a hefty crimp. Accuracy has been great. But.........for the OCD it probably isn't the best of loadings, as light bullets and ball powder do get a bit of flame cut on the topstrap. Doesn't do anything other than cosmetic, but it freaks some people.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    My loading of 44 Mag has been limited to use in a 14" Super barrel on my T/C, but I've basically stuck with the same kind of loads you might use from a revolver. My go-to hunting load is the 240gr XTP over a heaping helping of H110. This load is as accurate as my ML, at 100 yards. For plinking, I've been using a 200gr XTP and a moderate charge of Power Pistol. This is a lot more gentle on the wrists. :)

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    44 mag

For hunting deer I use W296 or H110 with CCI 350 primers and Hornady 240 gr XTP's. While in bear country, I use all the above except a 300gr hard cast bullet. For plinking, I use W231 with a 240gr hard cast bullet with CCI 300 primers.
    As Billybob44 stated, make sure you use a heavy crimp to prevent bullet jump during firing. The 240gr Keith style hard cast bullets see the most use in my 44 mags and 44 specials. Good shooting

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Everyone gave you good tips. I do not make low velocity .44 mag loads. I have other target pistols or .44 spl for that, so I save the Magnum for heavy duty & hunting use. I only load jacketed bullets with the Hornady XTP being my favorite by far. I do really like Accurate Arms #9 powder in my magnums. It is more accomodating to a wide range of loads that WW296. Not saying bad about 296, it performs really well at the high end of the scale.

A good solid crimp is needed, not for bullet set back, but to keep the bullets from being pulled out of the brass on recoil. .44 Mag is really a pretty straight forward cartridge to load. Good Luck

Sagamore - One

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Near Bippus
    Favorite all around 44 mag load

250 gr Keith type cast lead semi wadcutter over 7.5 of Red Dot lit by a standard primer yields 1150 - 1200 fps from my 4 inch Smith . Very consistant velocity and extremely clean burning. Shooting is pleasant and cleanup is easy.

Lucky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Shelbyville
    I used a Smith 29 for a lot of years and killed several deer including a "Hoosier Big Buck" using 180 grn jhp sierra bullets loaded to the max. I never lost a deer that took a hit from one of these rounds. Most did not make it 20 yds before going down. The recoil was not that bad and the accuracy was the best of all the loads I tried.

rabbit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I load 240 cast bullets over ether 11 or 12 grans IMR 4756 with standered primer for plinking. Need to check my notes to make sure but both are good loads. I use the same charge with XTP bullets for hunting. At 25 yards my S&W 629 with scope makes 1 ragged hole, my Super Blackhawk without scope groups about the size of my I phone. At 100 yards my 77/44 Ruger is about 3 inches with the same loads. I have also killed deer at 100 yards with the same load with my S&W

Top Bottom