• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    What type of game would a .410 be effective on? What kind of ammo?

I have a single shot .410, smooth bore and am thinking of breaking it out sometime in the neat future.

Thanks

Hookfish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I am looking at a box of Remington Express Rifled .410 (2.5 in shell) Slugs right now and the trajectory shows that at 100 yards the slug will have dropped 8.2 inches. From my experience with them, I would think that would be sort of of your top end value. :twocents:

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Thanks! When I'm feeling better I'll get a box of slugs and a box of shot, hit the range and see how it does.

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    410 is a great deer gun and yes 100 yards will be the max you will want to take a shot and that will need a considerable amount of compinsation but can and has been done time and time again. like you said buy a box or two and take it to the range and play to get the feel of when and how far you have to compinsate. i would recomend you checking the choke on your gun befor you run a slug down it though. Also I would recomend you sending a PM to tactical shot gun and ask them what they would recomend for a slug specific to your gun. Make shure you give them all the specs like choke and barell length. Im a little rusty at the ammo part of it all since I kind of swayed away from shot guns and more to hand guns and rifles.

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    I have a side by side 410 that I use rabbit hunting with 3" # 6. I love it but only has about a 20 yard range.

mrwil34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    i think there good for Squirrels and Rabbit, never tried the slugs but know a lot of people who use them for deer and love it.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    What kinda game can you bag with a .410?!

Anything you you can take with a 12 gauge you can take with a .410. YOU just have to be a better shot. The .410 requires more finesse than a 12 gauge. It will have a lot Smaller shot pattern than a larger bore gun. Take it out with shot at the range and get an idea of the pattern then take it out and try to bust some clay pigeons... With practice and patience you can...

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I have used a .410 since I was a kid. Hunted rabbit, squirrel, dove, pheasant, turkey, deer and shot many a varmint with it including raccoons, opossums, black birds, snakes, gophers, ground hogs and it always shoots well.

Like mentioned before, smaller amount of shot and a little more challenging but an ample gun for most things in my humble opinion..

willie69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    i have taken my share of game with a 410 from rabbit to ducks also remember the slug is equal to a .41 cal. good luck

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I like the .410 for small game, squirrel, rabbit and dove in close. Its not a long range gun. I absolutely do not like the idea of the .410 being used for deer. Will it kill deer, yes, but so will a .22 LR. That little 1/5 ounce of lead just isn't moving enough. Shot placement is crucial. I don't mean to offend any .410 deer hunters out there, but it just isn't enough gun for me. I know that I put a 50 lb feral dog down with a russian load of #4buck in .410 and it took a bit of time to put him down. The shot was less that 20 feet away. Shot was from the side, behind the shoulder and all rounds stayed in the chest cavity. Would have felt better using my 9mm or a .38.

xHwyLT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Monroe
    Depending on how it does at the range I may decide to try deer hunting with it next season.
    Just by your description of the shotgun, I'm guessing it is the NEF Pardner. If it is, the barrel is choked full. I don't think you can shoot slugs out of a .410 full choke barrel safely. Check with one of the other posters, that have more experience. I've always used a IC choked barrel for slugs. Anybody know the answer?

Last edited:

xHwyLT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Monroe
    I was just told by a friend that if you shoot a slug out of a full choke, you will damaged your shotgun. Please verify your guns choke & this information with a more experienced member before you shoot slugs out of your gun.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    i have taken my share of game with a 410 from rabbit to ducks also remember the slug is equal to a .41 cal. good luck

Maybe in diameter... Most .410 slugs are 1/5 of an ounce, or about 90 grains. Thats more like .380 bullet weight there. Now, the velocity is up around 1800fps on a 24" barrel, which is good and fast. Fast enough for a kill at 100 yards I'd say. Don't think I'd go after bear with one though.
    Here's a link I found: Ballistic Testing of Select 410 slugs.

As far as using a .410 with shot, the above fellas are correct. It will take small game, but you have to do your part.

Top Bottom