• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hanen42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Ossian
    I hope this posting is forum appropriate, if not please delete moderators.

Bruce Pond to learn punishment Tuesday for shooting 4-year-old boy

Man Sentenced for Death of Young Boy Because of Flashlight | Indiana's NewsCenter: News, Sports, Weather, Fort Wayne WPTA-TV, WISE-TV, CW, and MyFOX | Local

If none of you are from the Fort Wayne area, back in July a 4 year old boy was shot and killed by an intoxicated neighbor while the boy fished with his father at their home. Today the neighbor was sentenced to serve all 40 years. Many thoughts and prayers go out to this little boys family. I graduated high school with the boys father and his mother was a year younger. Both great people. Such a tragedy. Just a reminder to know what we are shooting at and what is around! Never be too careful.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Stories like this cause a flood of emotions ranging from sadness to rage. It breaks your heart to hear about a child being taken away by something so foolish. Thoughts and prayers go out to this young childs family.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I love the statements made by most criminals at sentencing, finding God while incarcerated and "I was abused as a child" Standard statements for a standard criminal, too bad it was just 40 years, he'll be out in less than 20.

Valor35

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Lafayette
    QUote: Michuda goes on to say, "There was no winner in this case. Nothing will ever heal the scars that we have in our hearts from our loss due to this senseless act."
    Then he urges for new gun laws. "I hope the state of Indiana will begin to recognize such acts as these as a precursor for further state gun laws to enable only responsible citizens to have ownership of firearms. With a gun comes a responsibility. Firearms and alcohol are a tragedy waiting to happen."

Sigh . . . 'further state gun laws' . . .

My heart breaks for the family, but I don't think this route is the answer.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    That just goes to show that the sentiment for gun laws is purely emotional. My sympathies to the parents for their loss, but this guy is crossing over into jackass territory. The laws do only allow for the responsible, but you have to be able to count on them remaining responsible. When they don't, you punish them. What happened here? Someone stopped being responsible, and is being punished. Mirabile dictu!

Riflemen14

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    Wells County
    Firearms and alcohol are a tragedy waiting to happen."

Neither one of these ended that boys life. The person who picked up the alcohol of his own choice, consumed it, and then picked up the firearm and chose to discharge it. That person is the root cause of this whole tragedy. I'm so tried of objects being blamed for the cause of awful incidents such as these. Personal responsibility for your actions is what it boils down to. When someone can't act responsibly, it seems others pay the price. There are laws for alcohol and firearms already in place. That person chose not to follow the law, unlike a responsible, lawful person chooses.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Neither one of these ended that boys life. The person who picked up the alcohol of his own choice, consumed it, and then picked up the firearm and chose to discharge it. That person is the root cause of this whole tragedy. I'm so tried of objects being blamed for the cause of awful incidents such as these. Personal responsibility for your actions is what it boils down to. When someone can't act responsibly, it seems others pay the price. There are laws for alcohol and firearms already in place. That person chose not to follow the law, unlike a responsible, lawful person chooses.

Well said.

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    This guy is getting off lite. Yes 40 years is a long time, but not near as long as that child's family will have to deal with the loss of a child. He should not have been able to plead the charges down he meant to kill that kid when he pointed the rifle at them.

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Two things come to mind. One, my thoughts and prayers go out to the father. I have a 4 year old son, and I don't know if this guy would've made it to trial had it been my son. I hope I'd have the resolve to not do something stupid. Two, notwithstanding the grief he's feeling, his statement about gun control is ludicrous. As a previous poster stated, it's more proof that gun laws stem from emotion rather than reason. Following his logic, we could reduce the rates of violent crime, drug abuse, rape, etc., if we'd only make them illegal.

Oh, wait....

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I hope the state of Indiana will begin to recognize such acts as these as a precursor for further state gun laws to enable only responsible citizens to have ownership of firearms. With a gun comes a responsibility. Firearms and alcohol are a tragedy waiting to happen."

What other gun laws would have prevented this?

It is already illegal to commit Manslaughter.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    "I still feel horrible for the Michudas and Warwicks."

I can't begin to tell you how upset I was when this happened. I know the grandfather as he taught both of my two oldest sons in school and was also a firm supporter of the 2nd Amendment. Bruce Pond was always a trouble maker ever since I knew him in high school. He was a convicted felon before this conviction and should not have had access to any firearms. No new laws would have been any help, do you think criminals are going to obey any new laws when they don't obey existing laws? He will get his in prison, and at 47 years old with a 40 years sentence he will most likely never make it out of prison.

Top Bottom