• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    So I'm looking for a new carry. I can't decide between a 9mm and a .40. Anyone able to sway me in either direction? Pros and cons of each? Thanks in advance. =D

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    the availability of .40 at wal-mart would be one advantage. Typically a 9mm will hold slightly more ammo. I have a 9mm, wish i had bought a .40. Most ppl will tell you .40 has more "stopping power" yet my friend was shot by a 9mm and almost died. Ask him if a 9mm is a puny round. All things considered i would go with a .40. But i feel perfectly safe with my 9mm. hope this helps:D

trophy hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    southern indiana
    the availability of .40 at wal-mart would be one advantage. Typically a 9mm will hold slightly more ammo. I have a 9mm, wish i had bought a .40. Most ppl will tell you .40 has more "stopping power" yet my friend was shot by a 9mm and almost died. Ask him if a 9mm is a puny round. All things considered i would go with a .40. But i feel perfectly safe with my 9mm. hope this helps:D

i just bought a .40 last week that was my deciding factor,my walmart always has .40 compaired to 9mm.
    i bought an xd and they have a conversion barrel from .40 to 9. so if i want a 9 i`ll be looking into that...:D
    only other thing is you will get a few more rounds in a 9mm magazine vs a .40.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    it comes down to personal preference, there is lots of variables. what kind of handgun are you getting?, are you an experience shooter?, and the list goes on. I recomend that before you buy shoot both and then make choice your rather than buy what people tell you, .40 recoils very different than 9mm and .45acp and some people don't like it. like other people said before don't ignore 9mm because loaded with the right ammo is to be taken as effective as any other self defense caliber.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Buy a Glock 22 - 23 - 27 all of these models are .40S&W

For an additional $99 you can buy a 40-9mm Lone Wolf conversion barrel.
    ( you will also need 9mm magazines )

And then you can shoot 9mm to practice with at the range and still carry a .40 S&W :dunno: This is how I do it...

If you need more on how to do this PM me.

TK

gmiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    A .40 obviously has more "stopping power", but the gun is larger too, and that stopping power isn't going to help if the gun is sitting in your gunsafe at home. The correct answer is the one that you will carry.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    A .40 obviously has more "stopping power", but the gun is larger too, and that stopping power isn't going to help if the gun is sitting in your gunsafe at home. The correct answer is the one that you will carry.

In some popular models, the .40S&W & 9mm versions are the exact same form-factors...the only differences being the barrels & mags.

That said, my .40S&W XDm is pretty f'n snappy. It takes a good grip to bring it back down to sight-in the next shot. If you don't have gorilla hands or aren't getting a full-size pistol (or both)...make sure you shoot some .40S&W before you buy the farm.

Personally, I like it. I've gotten compliments at the range for my speed/accuracy combination...but I'm also a gorilla-sized guy with a full-size pistol. :twocents:

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    +1

When you point it at the bad guy, I think it will have the same effect either way. If it comes to pulling the trigger, I like the 9mm for staying on center mass for more shots. I would think that anyone who will run through a 9mm hit isn't going to just drop like a rock from a .40. The difference is there, I would just prefer a smoother firing action and greater selection of compact models from which to choose.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I have switched all my carry hand guns to 40 cal.

The fact that walmart always has ammo for them was a small deciding factor.

I really like the caliber.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Well depending where you buy your ammo, .40 has been easier to find lately then 9mm. I have been paying a little over $13 for 9mm, and a little over $14 for .40. In the same model of gun the 9mm will have less snap, which allows for faster follow up shots. Also you are going to have a higher mag capacity. As said above many guns allow you to buy 9mm barrels, which allows you to shoot different cailber rounds. Allot of people think the .40 is to snappy, I beg the differ. In terms of balistics, a 147 grain 9mm and a 180 grain .40 well have basicly the same level of penetration. The .40 will just cause a slightly larger wound cavity. Best thing if you can, is try shooting both, and see what caliber fits you best. Remember shot placement is more important then caliber size. No one is going to know the difference, when a barrel is pointing at them.

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    I've carried my Kimber 1911 for years now. I'm getting a job that requires a different gun though, and I want something a bit easier to conceal.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    i have both and both are good. just comes down to personal prefference. i prefer the .40 and that is my EDC. cant really go wrong with either though. good luck in your decision.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I carry both 9mms and .40s.

BUT, ballistics wise the .40 wins.

And, I don't really buy into the "snappy" .40 talk. I really don't think the .40 is that snappy.

Top Bottom