• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Sorry I missed alot, I started the thread and then realized I had papers to write. Anywho, the "40 sucks" comment basically came from a James Yeager video I watched when doing some research on the subject.

Based on my very limited experience with 9mm, I do enjoy the more manageable recoil it has compared with 40SW.

IMHO, the 40 S&W cartridge doesn't "suck." But, you have to go with what you are comfortable with. Nobody can decide that but you.

OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka
    I swear there are a million girly men on here that say 40S&W has too much recoil. Maybe my 9 year old daughter can teach you how to shoot. She is rather efficient with a Shield 40...

:):

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    ahhhh i cant take it anymore....what about 45's vs 9mm....what about ak's vs ar-15....go with what you got...40 is fine...maybe better than nine mm ...maybe worse depending on which jackleg you talk to...glocks suck and thats why i own three...1911's suck harder unless they shoot 40 then those suck more than a 45 but less than a 1911 that shoots 25 cent per shell 22's...ok its time for me to go to bed...seriously 40 is fine!!!....

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I dunno. I carry a .40 S&W regularly. Shoot it regularly. I find the recoil 'mild'. At least in comparison to the .44 I've also carried regularly for years. I guess it all depends on your perspective.

I no issues with the 9mm, I have no issues with the .40 S&W. For me, I prefer the slightly larger round, but that's just me. Big bullets make big holes, LOL...

Armed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Michiana
    .40 is definitely easier to come by than 9mm I haven't seen 9mm at my walmart in at least 5 months but I can normally snag a couple boxes if .40 every other week or so at that same walmart.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I switched to .40 after having a 9 for a year. I like a little more power than the 9 offers, and the recoil doesn't bother me or my 110lb fiance...

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I have a M&P 9c and have a conversion barrel in 9mm. I prefer the 40. Getting back on target and recoil are no problem for me. I can shoot the 40 & 9 at the same speed pretty much. I use the 9mm barrel for when everyone else is shooting 9mm or I have the subgun out so I don't have to sort out the 40 brass.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I have a M&P 9c and have a conversion barrel in 9mm. I prefer the 40. Getting back on target and recoil are no problem for me. I can shoot the 40 & 9 at the same speed pretty much. I use the 9mm barrel for when everyone else is shooting 9mm or I have the subgun out so I don't have to sort out the 40 brass.

Which one, where? (Conversion barrel). Does the 9 go in the same mag?

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I have the Storm Lake. BIL has an OEM S&W on the way for his. I plan to try them side by side next week to see if one shoots better than the other. You use the 9mm mags for shooting 9mm. It's my understanding that if you use the 40 mags the last round doesn't feed. Never tried it as I had no reason to. I can try it if you like and let you know how that goes as well.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    ahhhh i cant take it anymore....what about 45's vs 9mm....what about ak's vs ar-15....go with what you got...40 is fine...maybe better than nine mm ...maybe worse depending on which jackleg you talk to...glocks suck and thats why i own three...1911's suck harder unless they shoot 40 then those suck more than a 45 but less than a 1911 that shoots 25 cent per shell 22's...ok its time for me to go to bed...seriously 40 is fine!!!....

One of the best comments I've read in a while :yesway:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sorry I missed alot, I started the thread and then realized I had papers to write. Anywho, the "40 sucks" comment basically came from a James Yeager video I watched when doing some research on the subject.

Based on my very limited experience with 9mm, I do enjoy the more manageable recoil it has compared with 40SW.

You are wanting to change guns because of a Yeager video?

9mm will give you slightly faster followup shots, all else being equal. The .40 is a slightly more powerful round, all else being equal.

The differences are minor, and the platform they are in and the ammo selection will have a greater disparity than the caliber itself.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My experience with .40 is limited to my G23 and G27, but I've shot a ton of 9mm, .45 and 10mm. I don't find the .40 to be snappy at all and have settled on it for my daily carry. I think it hits the sweet spot in performance, capacity and caliber when carried in a Glock 23. I'm a happy camper with it.

heeringa

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've shot 9mm Luger from a friend's Springfield XDm, and I own a Ruger SR40c. They both kick much more than my GSG 1911 .22LR. As has been said numerous times in this thread, they both will get the job done rather effectively. My Ruger was a little harder to get back on target with the compact magazine in, but with 50 rounds of practice from the compact mag, I don't notice a difference between it and then 15 round extended mag. So, my solution to your question, is to use the practice range until you feel comfortable with your gun of choice.

Back when I was in college, a professional brass quintet was giving a masterclass. One student asked the tuba player which type of valves he recommended for students to use, pistons or rotors. The professional answered: "Practice."

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    My Sig 229 is in 40, it's obvious snappier than the 9 in 226. However, after shooting it a few times, I found it pretty easy to shoot. I can shoot it as well as my P226 9mm. Hitting balloons at 25 yards is fun.

Top Bottom