• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vaughn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    greenwood
    what are the +/- of each I have a 9mm, didnt like my 45 much ,.40 seems to be the best of both right, checking because im new to this and want to make the best decision on my next purchase another 9 or 40?

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Like I said in another thread, right now I would go with a 40. 40 is plentiful and about the same price as 9mm right now. Why not get the extra power for the same price? Im still really considering switching from 9 to 40 to consolidate calibers but Im keeping it on hand because Im going to start reloading 10mm.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    9mm - cheaper to shoot, slightly more capacity, generally more plentiful/popular, less recoil/easier to shoot, good performance as a defensive cartridge

40 - more power/more recoil, easier to find locally right now, some guns can be converted to 9mm by switching the barrel, meets major for USPSA, many good choices for defensive ammo.

Overall I like the 40, carry a 40 and have more guns chambered for 40. But 9mm is easier to shoot.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I settled on .40 S&W a while back. Seems like a good balance of capacity and energy, especially if you are looking at the compact and sub-compact handguns.

If you are recoil-sensitive, then .40 in a small handgun may be a lot to deal with. 9mm can become a lot more attractive.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    This is a good question and the internet is full of advice (some good, some bad) about the 40 vs 9mm debate.
    What the previous posts show is true (capacity, recoil, etc.)
    For me, I found that a .40 in a subcompact frame (any given brand) is a bit snappy - not hallacious, but just snappy. I'm not really recoil sensitive, but I like the controlability of a 9mm. In any medium or full size frame, I'll take either without any problem.
    ** I don't know where you guys are getting your ammo, but the .40 is costing me 20%-25% more than the 9mm in cheap/plinking FMJ ammo. In self-defense rounds, prices are similar and you could expect to pay .80-$1 per shot.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I switched from the Glock 23/27 .40 platform to the 19/26 9mm why?
    Cheaper ammo .40 was almost the cost of .45
    Recoil in the 27 was rough and too much for my wife
    Capacity and knock down power are irrelevant to me personally, accuracy and shot placement is far more critical. The 9mm I can shoot more accurately more often.
    Primary switch was to accommodate my wife can't say 100% I would had otherwise.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Either which way, with premium defense ammo, you won't find a statistically significant "stopping power" difference.

While right now, in the midst of widespread....nonsensical, panic, .40 S&W is easier to find, the 9mm is by far the more common weapon out there- for long term ammo availability and price, I go with 9mm.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    This is a good question and the internet is full of advice (some good, some bad) about the 40 vs 9mm debate.
    What the previous posts show is true (capacity, recoil, etc.)
    For me, I found that a .40 in a subcompact frame (any given brand) is a bit snappy - not hallacious, but just snappy. I'm not really recoil sensitive, but I like the controlability of a 9mm. In any medium or full size frame, I'll take either without any problem.
    ** I don't know where you guys are getting your ammo, but the .40 is costing me 20%-25% more than the 9mm in cheap/plinking FMJ ammo. In self-defense rounds, prices are similar and you could expect to pay .80-$1 per shot.

A .40 can be snappy, but what a lot of people don't realize is that factory loads are all over the place for recoil.

I would recommend a .40, but start with a softer load like the Speer Short Barrel loads. They are only loaded to 950fps w/180gr. They should recoil less than a 230gr .45 moving at 890fps.

Then, you can move up to the faster .40 loads that push a 180gr up closer to 1100 fps. Those loads get MUCH snappier. you'd be surprised at the difference just 100fps can make in perceived recoil.

JH

Signal23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Greenwood
    My wife carries a .40, I have .40, and we have .40's in the house, all glock, (also have a 9mm Shield) but our reason was, glock mags, fit other glocks, so .40 is around and mags are around, if something happens we can keep rolling.

mike45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    east central
    Hey if you allready have a nine and don't like the .45, then it is only logical to buy the .40. I have .22 380 9 40 and 45. You are not married to your pistol and it will not get jealous if you have more than one.

variety is the spice of life.

vaughn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    greenwood
    I just didnt like the way the 45 I had shot, the 9mm shoots great but its going to my wife , i want something to plink and carry, considering a glock, but right now the prices are all over the place for everything,never had a 40 , ive got fairly large hands so i need something that fits, im gonna do some more looking, thanks for all the advice thats why i joined ingo, people that know and will give thier perspective without looking at yoy like your a dumba**

IXC

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I back what many have said. 40 is plentiful right now but its a high pressure round and has a lot more felt recoil. I prefer 9.

Top Bottom