• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Isn't it odd, the different positions people take?

I was discussing hunting with a former friend. I had a hunting ethics question for him (since he had been a prolific lifelong hunter of anything that crawled, ran, swam, slithered or flew for 50 yrs). He stopped me and said " there isn't 'ethical'. There is 'legal' and 'illegal'."

That was part of the reason I no longer consider him a friend. He has far more compelling reasons for not wanting to be around me.

pgreene, I think you have an awesome story of the one that got away!

I hope you tell it to your hunter education classes. What a great way to reinforce the duties of responsible hunters to secure their kills. And how even skilled, well meaning hunters sometimes can't find their kill. And most importantly the obligation to try. ( which I think you did- certainly your motivation was high! Nice rack!). Clearly, it bothered you for years. I'd share that as well.

Would I hang it on the wall if I were you? Absolutely!
    I'd have the game cam pictures in an album with topographical maps. It's an astounding story!

Congratulations on the reunion!

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Isn't it odd, the different positions people take?

I was discussing hunting with a former friend. I had a hunting ethics question for him (since he had been a prolific lifelong hunter of anything that crawled, ran, swam, slithered or flew for 50 yrs). He stopped me and said " there isn't 'ethical'. There is 'legal' and 'illegal'."

That was part of the reason I no longer consider him a friend. He has far more compelling reasons for not wanting to be around me.
    !

It's a shame that no one taught him ethics along with lawful and unlawful..
    When my son and I took Hunter Safety Class togeather about 8 years ago, the instructors and the MD DNR Officer giving the class handed out some recommended reading to everyone. It was a small book with a huge message.
    The book is,...
    Written by Jim Posewitz
    Beyond Fair Chase: The Ethic and Tradition of Hunting.

Neat little book, my son enjoyed it. It sits on his bookshelf with his other keeper books.
    When you teach a child to be a Fair Chase Sportsman, it sticks with them.

Good on you OP.

Top Bottom