• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Not if the party that better represents a significant part of the electorate's interests does so by confiscating from those who work to prop up those who don't/won't.

Perhaps you should get involved beyond voting and moaning. Run for office.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No. We have to take America back. From other Americans. I guess.

Of course, if you try to take America back from illegal immigrants, then you're a fool who will crash our economy when radishes go up 2 cents in the grocery store.

The Americans from whom I think America should be taken are the ones who subvert what average Americans really want. The list of entities who unduly influence American politics are numerous and bipartisan: news media, the chamber of commerce, college professors, CEOs, politicians, judges. Americans drink whichever sugary drink tastes sweetest.

The new America into which we're progressing will fail as the nation greedily imbibes the kinds of societal changes that cause social entropy. America has never been perfect but as we've progressed from the bad we've also progressed towards some very dangerous new societal norms. I'd like to see Americans regain the good traits they once had, like a greater sense of personal responsibility, accountability, and self-sufficient individualism. I'd like to see America return to what was good, but without loosing the ground that it gained progressing from the bad.

I do think there is a happy median between collectivism and individualism where people are not substantially harmed by either, but that range is much closer towards individualism and personal liberty. The momentum towards "social justice" has swung to the absurd. The Mizzou campus is just a microcosm of the social [STRIKE]justice[/STRIKE] entropy to come. Of course the "Chamber of Commerce" types don't really give a **** about that as long as they can assure their corporate welfare. So when I say I want to take America back I am talking about the the people who are trying to progress America into all that.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    No. We have to take America back. From other Americans. I guess.

Of course, if you try to take America back from illegal immigrants, then you're a fool who will crash our economy when radishes go up 2 cents in the grocery store.

The Americans from whom I think America should be taken are the ones who subvert what average Americans really want. The list of entities who unduly influence American politics are numerous and bipartisan: news media, the chamber of commerce, college professors, CEOs, politicians, judges. Americans drink whichever sugary drink tastes sweetest.

The new America into which we're progressing will fail as the nation greedily imbibes the kinds of societal changes that cause social entropy. America has never been perfect but as we've progressed from the bad we've also progressed towards some very dangerous new societal norms. I'd like to see Americans regain the good traits they once had, like a greater sense of personal responsibility, accountability, and self-sufficient individualism. I'd like to see America return to what was good, but without loosing the ground that it gained progressing from the bad.

I do think there is a happy median between collectivism and individualism where people are not substantially harmed by either, but that range is much closer towards individualism and personal liberty. The momentum towards "social justice" has swung to the absurd. The Mizzou campus is just a microcosm of the social [STRIKE]justice[/STRIKE] entropy to come. Of course the "Chamber of Commerce" types don't really give a **** about that as long as they can assure their corporate welfare. So when I say I want to take America back I am talking about the the people who are trying to progress America into all that.

I agree with where we should be heading. But I don't think you can "take the country back" when you are a slim majority at best but likely just the winning majority of folks that get off their sofas to vote in a particular election. I'm probably just preaching to the choir when I say, to really "take our country back" there is much work to be done before we ever go to the ballot box. The winners of elections can certainly affect the trajectory and velocity of the depravity spiral, but they don't do all that much to convince people demanding free college education or federally mandated minimum wages that that's not the role in our Constitutionally framed government.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010

I'm curious why you list college professors in a negative light. Without higher education the US will fall even further behind in education.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm curious why you list college professors in a negative light. Without higher education the US will fall even further behind in education.

If college professors are teaching/condoning/embracing/etc. the kind of crap we've recently seen at Missouri (as one example), I'm not sure we should be bragging about our "higher" education.

Of course there are exceptions. Maybe if more professors and administrators took this stance:

http://www.okwu.edu/blog/2015/11/this-is-not-a-day-care-its-a-university/

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I'm not listing education in a negative light. I'm speaking to the progressive bias of those charged with teaching.

If college professors are teaching/condoning/embracing/etc. the kind of crap we've recently seen at Missouri (as one example), I'm not sure we should be bragging about our "higher" education.

Pretty much this. Progressives dominate academics, especially the soft sciences. You'd be hard pressed to find sociology professors at major public universities who are not progressive.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I agree with where we should be heading. But I don't think you can "take the country back" when you are a slim majority at best but likely just the winning majority of folks that get off their sofas to vote in a particular election. I'm probably just preaching to the choir when I say, to really "take our country back" there is much work to be done before we ever go to the ballot box. The winners of elections can certainly affect the trajectory and velocity of the depravity spiral, but they don't do all that much to convince people demanding free college education or federally mandated minimum wages that that's not the role in our Constitutionally framed government.

Given what I want to take back, we're in a minority. I'd like to go back to a government that isn't powerful enough to lead us into social entropy. But mainstream America probably won't go along with scaling government back. Everyone has their ideas of societal ills that they think government can solve. And don't get me wrong, government can solve some problems. But if things continue, government will be called upon to protect people from whatever pop-culture thinks is offensive. Constitutionally, the government isn't currently powerful enough to provide those kinds of "protections". But when our education system churns out the next generation of leaders, it will be made powerful enough to do that.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

You will never "take America back" from CEOs and politicians as long as there is no campaign finance reform and such weak regulations on lobbying. The payoff for lobbying is simply too great, and it's too invisible to most of the population. News media? Stop rewarding trash journalism. Right now division and fear is the new sex. Serious journalism is boring and doesn't make any money. Liberals eat your babies and conservatives want to starve your granny sell. I'm not sure what to do there, we've regressed to Civil War era journalism, but with far greater reach.

So help me out, if I want to take America back from the corporate welfare CEO/lobbyist/politician triangle...why is so much of the political scene about who owns the oldest shoes, who cares if two dudes get married, etc? It seems to me most of the time I see this phrase it's about culture wars. News media and colleges seem to be a consumer issue, I'm not sure how politics could effect a sea change there. So who's trying to take America back, and will anyone care as long as we can argue about guns and gays?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You will never "take America back" from CEOs and politicians as long as there is no campaign finance reform and such weak regulations on lobbying. The payoff for lobbying is simply too great, and it's too invisible to most of the population. News media? Stop rewarding trash journalism. Right now division and fear is the new sex. Serious journalism is boring and doesn't make any money. Liberals eat your babies and conservatives want to starve your granny sell. I'm not sure what to do there, we've regressed to Civil War era journalism, but with far greater reach.

So help me out, if I want to take America back from the corporate welfare CEO/lobbyist/politician triangle...why is so much of the political scene about who owns the oldest shoes, who cares if two dudes get married, etc? It seems to me most of the time I see this phrase it's about culture wars. News media and colleges seem to be a consumer issue, I'm not sure how politics could effect a sea change there. So who's trying to take America back, and will anyone care as long as we can argue about guns and gays?

You've identified the group you want to take America back from. The group I've identified is probably a prohibitively larger group. I'd like to have a government that isn't powerful enough to prescribe how people should live, and isn't powerful enough to establish classes and entitlements. I'd like to get back to a government that is based on rule of law rather than the rule of pop-culture's whim tempered by what the CEO/lobbyist/politician triangle allows. But too many people cling to a little piece of government that they're unwilling to live without, so we end up with what we got. And the only people who like it are the ones who like big government.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    You've identified the group you want to take America back from. The group I've identified is probably a prohibitively larger group. I'd like to have a government that isn't powerful enough to prescribe how people should live, and isn't powerful enough to establish classes and entitlements. I'd like to get back to a government that is based on rule of law rather than the rule of pop-culture's whim tempered by what the CEO/lobbyist/politician triangle allows. But too many people cling to a little piece of government that they're unwilling to live without, so we end up with what we got. And the only people who like it are the ones who like big government.

The rule of law doesn't apply to the CEO/lobbyist/politician triangle though, and that's the problem. No accountability towards those who actually have a say in anything.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The rule of law doesn't apply to the CEO/lobbyist/politician triangle though, and that's the problem. No accountability towards those who actually have a say in anything.

That's the whole point. I want to get back to the rule of law, and not the rule of men. The former doesn't care about your class or status, the latter makes up expedient rules as they go.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    ...too many people cling to a little piece of government that they're unwilling to live without, so we end up with what we got...

And THIS ^^^ is why I loved the sequestration!!! Thank you so much Rep Paul Ryan (R:dunno:) and Sen Patty Murray (D) for gutting the one (1) piece of sunshine we've had since... well... EVER!

Ok, maybe not EVER, but since Pres Eisenhower.

Doug

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

And THIS ^^^ is why I loved the sequestration!!! Thank you so much Rep Paul Ryan (R:dunno:) and Sen Patty Murray (D) for gutting the one (1) piece of sunshine we've had since... well... EVER!

Ok, maybe not EVER, but since Pres Eisenhower.

Doug

Oh but for the weeping and gnashing of teeth to legislate back into the slush! From BOTH sides of the isle.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I'm not listing education in a negative light. I'm speaking to the progressive bias of those charged with teaching.

Pretty much this. Progressives dominate academics, especially the soft sciences. You'd be hard pressed to find sociology professors at major public universities who are not progressive.

Was wondering because college and university education seems to be frowned upon here.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Not really. I just want to level the playing field a bit. I'm all for people pursing their interests and trying to better themselves. I'm not for such an uneven playing field. They haven't "taken America" they've just gamed the system to their betterment and with the "drown gov't in a bathtub" crowd, the regulatory agencies that are tasked with keeping them in check are undercut. One of the reasons cited for corporations being prosecuted by individuals not is the cost and the lack of resources for such prosecutions.

As far as the government telling us how to live...examples? Aren't pretty much all laws telling us how to live? Even "Thou shall not kill" is prescribing how people should live, like "not as murderers".

Top Bottom