• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XDS45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2014
    Indiana
    I told my fiance that if she uses a .380 that will only make a person mad and not stop them as well as a 9mm would.I talked her into a 9mm,now I have to find one. She wants the M&P Shield. She likes how my Shield feels and wants one in a 9 mm.
    I have actually considered getting a small cheap .380 to carry in my jacket pocket during the colder months. I found one that is the perfect size for 150$ new,but I would get what I paid for. I'll make due with my Shield now.

Nicr1991

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I'd vote for 9mm. It's a bigger round but the circumference is pretty similar, so you'd have greater stopping power per round and minimal capacity sacrificed. Just my $.02, but what ever you feel most comfortable shooting is really the best benchmark.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    .380's suck
    if you do any research at all, you will come to this conclusion as well.
    No, I wouldn't want to get shot with it, but I wouldn't want to be shot by a .22 either... doesn't mean either one is good for self-defense.
    9mm/.38spl is minimum IMHO.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I told my fiance that if she uses a .380 that will only make a person mad and not stop them as well as a 9mm would.I talked her into a 9mm,now I have to find one. She wants the M&P Shield. She likes how my Shield feels and wants one in a 9 mm.
    I have actually considered getting a small cheap .380 to carry in my jacket pocket during the colder months. I found one that is the perfect size for 150$ new,but I would get what I paid for. I'll make due with my Shield now.
    Show me your evidence that .380 won't stop someone. Show me the evidence that it angers people instead of making them rethink the error of their ways.

USAFVet

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Indy
    9mm Shield, Ruger SR9C, M&P9C, XDS 3.3 9mm, LC9, LC380, Sig 238, Sig 938, etc. Their are many options to think about so just check them all out and see what fits you.

Tobias

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    If you comfortable carrying a .380, by all means, go for it. They are certainly better than nothing......but just barely!

I personally can't see where a person would rather carry a lcp over, say, a Sig 938 but to each his own.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I'll be the first to say I WANT 9mm as my minimum in my carry gun - but that often means a bigger gun than the situation for carry and concealment dictates, for me and many people. And in some cases more recoil than the shooter can handle.

380 and 9mm are for all intents and purposes the same diameter, so no gain there by going 9mm. Penetration and expansion with that penetration are the 9mm strengths over 380. But 380 is still capable of getting the job done with the proper loading and shot placement.

This has been discussed ad nauseam all over INGO and every other gun forum - with good reason, I'll submit, since we're ALL looking for the perfect sweet spot of carry. It doesn't really exist, since every situation so different as to make choosing the "best" gun and caliber to have with you for EVERY scenario is absolutely impossible - hence the "best gun is the one you have with you when the balloon goes up and shoot well" creed.

But 380 CAN be effective if utilized well, and in a much smaller pkg than is controllable in 9mm most times.

I submit:

380 SUCKS! LOL watch this!! - YouTube

380 SUCKS! EPS 2 - YouTube

And, finally, the most comprehensive and useful testing I've ever seen done seeking "real world" application, the excellent series by Shooting the Bull:
    Final Results of the .380 ACP Ammo Quest | Shooting The Bull

Something's always "better" in these threads. I'll take putting all my rounds in the area I aim to in the fastest time I can with the biggest I can do it with that I can have on me in the situation I'm in. And I'll be darned if I'm to judge the situation for everyone and impose my standards on them. Next.

Last edited:

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Thanks wesnellans. That was the best post on here. It has evidence that .380 is adequate. Yes 9mm is a better choice, but that doesn't mean .380 is a poor choice.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

So do you always lie to your fiancee, or just have double standards? If its so bad and "will only make them mad" why are you getting one? those two highlighted comments are quite conflicted.

I've never seen a 9mm the same size as an LCP or P3AT. The Sig 938 is close, but that's the closest I can think of.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

380 and 9mm are for all intents and purposes the same diameter, so no gain there by going 9mm. Penetration and expansion with that penetration are the 9mm strengths over 380. But 380 is still capable of getting the job done with the proper loading and shot placement.
    COMPLETELY INCORRECT except for the part about 380 will get the job done. check out the ballistics comparison:
    .380 940ft/sec, 200 ft/lbs
    9mm 990ft/sec, 320 ft/lbs

So the 9mm is half again as powerful. Yes, 380 is quite capable, but to say its nearly equal to the 9 simply because of diameter is like saying a pound of black powder is the same as pound of C4, or that a .223 round is less powerful than a 380 because it has a smaller diameter... you are trying to make a comparison based on irrelevant features.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    So do you always lie to your fiancee, or just have double standards? If its so bad and "will only make them mad" why are you getting one? those two highlighted comments are quite conflicted.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

COMPLETELY INCORRECT except for the part about 380 will get the job done. check out the ballistics comparison:
    .380 940ft/sec, 200 ft/lbs
    9mm 990ft/sec, 320 ft/lbs

So the 9mm is half again as powerful. Yes, 380 is quite capable, but to say its nearly equal to the 9 simply because of diameter is like saying a pound of black powder is the same as pound of C4, or that a .223 round is less powerful than a 380 because it has a smaller diameter... you are trying to make a comparison based on irrelevant features.

Wounding vitals is what's doing the work in handgun rounds, sir, not energy. Were we talking about rifles I'd agree with you. However, the almost universal consensus among those much more knowledgeable than me is that we're not anywhere close to energy playing a role when dealing with the measly rounds we're all carrying in our handguns. Penetrating to and destroying or disrupting vitals is all a handgun can do. Granted, a larger caliber (or if you will, a more powerful one) can more easily and effectively do that job, but there's a point of diminishing returns in going bigger than the shooter can handle effectively. And the general recoil impulse is one of the biggest factors in control.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Wounding vitals is what's doing the work in handgun rounds, sir, not energy. Were we talking about rifles I'd agree with you. However, the almost universal consensus among those much more knowledgeable than me is that we're not anywhere close to energy playing a role when dealing with the measly rounds we're all carrying in our handguns. Penetrating to and destroying or disrupting vitals is all a handgun can do.

We are in agreement, I was simply illustrating that a 380 does not equal a 9 simply because they share the same diameter. a 9 has much more energy, which results in much better expansion and penetration under almost all conditions. a 380 can get the job done, but is more likely to have penetration and expansion issues.

Bottom line the 380 with the right round is nothing to sneeze at. I'd feel perfectly comfortable carrying a 380 myself.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    We are in agreement, I was simply illustrating that a 380 does not equal a 9 simply because they share the same diameter. a 9 has much more energy, which results in much better expansion and penetration under almost all conditions. a 380 can get the job done, but is more likely to have penetration and expansion issues.

Bottom line the 380 with the right round is nothing to sneeze at. I'd feel perfectly comfortable carrying a 380 myself.

Cool. I always get all warm and fuzzy when people agree with me.

Happens about as often as the proverbial blue moon, feels like. ;)

Top Bottom