• ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Neither. I pocket carry a .357 magnum. :cool:

No joke, right now in my back pocket is a Ruger LCR .357 loaded with Hornady Critical Defense .357 ammo in a Blackhawk pocket holster. It feels just like my wallet and is just as easy to draw.

baddyna96

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Demotte, IN.
    Not that I am doubting the numbers of the Buffalo Bore ammo quoted in the article, it gives both the 9mm and .380 a bit of a lift in the energy department over the average, commonly used SD ammo. Generally speaking, the .380 is good for around 200 fpe, the 9mm in the short barrels is closer to 300 fpe. Try sending a few of those hot loads downrange in a micro-compact pistol, and you might decide for yourself that its just a little on the warm side of comfortable. I have tried BB .380 in my LCP, and have run Winchester +P+ in my wife's PF-9, but only to satisfy my curiosity.

As for pocket carry, I have an LCP, and a J frame that sees occasional pocket duty, and I have given both the PF-9 and Kahr MK-9 a try in pocket duty. The LCP is the most comfortable for me. The 9s are both just a bit bulky for me, though I will admit, even more than a few keys on a key ring in my front pockets are annoying. Fast forward to winter pocket carry, and my J frame becomes a favorite in jacket pocket duty. Its a hammerless, and as such, it would tend to be more reliable in the confines of a pocket over either semi-auto fired from a pocket.

Would I prefer a 9mm over the .380, definitely. Under normal circumstances, I dont pocket carry. But there are always times when "normal" doesnt happen, and .380 in the pocket is better than a .45 or 9mm left at home in the safe...
    I carry a 938 loaded with BB ammo. While it isn't a comfortable round for practice, it is nice to have 8 rounds of ammo that approach .357 power for a self defense situation.

djhuckle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    Pics or it didn't happen.

What do you think, is he printing?

196505_4673_2337_man-likes-tight-jeans_jpg5ea60b95f6ec82fc48e90f91729aea3e

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Generally speaking, you should carry what you shoot and practice with right?...
    So the big problem I have with "pocket guns", is that they usually don't get shot and practiced with much.
    How many guys/gals shoot IDPA, Steel Challenge, or go to a big firearms training school with a pocket pistol?
    Most people I know only have about 100-200 rounds through their pocket guns which isn't nearly enough.
    I'm sure there's people here on INGO that have 3000 rounds+ through their LCP's, but you are the exception and are probably an exceptional shooter to begin with.
    Personally, I would never advise somebody to buy any gun for self-defense/carry that wasn't at least 9mm or .38spl.
    IHMO, .380's and under are just a novelty that's fun to shoot every now and then but shouldn't be seriously considered for self-defense.
    Just my opinion. don't bash me too hard! :ingo:

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    I'm splitting the difference I guess. A couple of weeks ago I picked up a Polish P83, 9mm Makarov. When I get used to it, I plan to start carrying it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm quite happy with a Sig P238 for pocket carry. It conceals very well and is both easy and fun to shoot. I have a PF9 and it's both large and a PITA to shoot. I also have a Bersa Thunder and a PPK and both of those are on the large side for pocket carry. But, I have pocket carried a Glock 27 when wearing cargo pants. It concealed well enough, but that was a lot of weight to be flopping around a pocket all day.

Top Bottom