• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trav_3897

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Spencer Co.
    I have a couple of questions that I am hoping to get some help with. First one is what type of .380 acp ammo should I get that is effective and accurate yet not so expensive? Keep in mind, I am looking for reasonable...not cheap. Also, does anyone know anything or have any suggestions about the Galco "Summer Comfort" iwb holster? I am needing to buy an iwb holster and this looks like a nice one for a reasonable price. I will need all the help I can get with these two items. Thank you in advance for all helpful answers and discussions.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    .380 ACP is one of those loads that has, in the past, offered EITHER adequate penetration OR good expansion, but not BOTH at the same time.

FMJ is the least expensive and will penetrate fine. Makes a caliber-size hole however, which has a tendancy to close up in flesh. IF I carry a .380 as a BUG, it's loaded w/FMJ.

The newer loads that promise more performance from the 380 tend to be expensive. One example: Corbon DPX. But, you're still looking at only about 9" of penetration with the Corbon, so it's still a bit of a compromise in that respect. There's another load that's come out more recently that looks promising, but I can't put my finger on it right now. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Might I ask what model of handgun this will hypothetically be used in?

Trav_3897

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Spencer Co.
    I have a Bersa Thunder .380. It will be my daily carry. I know it isn't the best, but as a college student and part time employee, I don't have much money.

92FS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Phoenix
    On a different forum I read where someone else who carries a 380 alternates the ammo in his magazine between hollow points and FMJ. He figures that way every other bullet the BG gets will either be clean and deep or shallow and expanded.

Don't know if that's a good idea or not, will be interested to see what others on here might think of the idea.

Getting ready to buy the same Thunder 380 for my wife with backup use for me.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Hornady has recently come out with a product called "Critical Defense" that has gained good reviews. Currently offered in .380, 9mm, 38 SPL and 38SPL+P. I saw some pictures of a 38+P that was shot into water jugs and it mushroomed beautifully. The design is said to eliminate problems with fabric plugging up the hollow point. Has a plastic tip similar to PowerBall. Sounds like it has merit. I paid about $20 for 20 at Beach Grove for +P 38 SPL. Carry it in my 442.
    Don't feel down about the Bersa. I had one that was dependable and very accurate. They do the job intended and don't cost a fortune. Carry it proudly and with confidence.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I carry Remington Golden Saber 102gr ammo in my LCP based on results from numerous independent tests. The extra weight of the Golden Sabers gives them expansion that rivals most 9mm rounds and only sacrifices an inch or two of penetration. I have never had a problem with the .380 cartridge as it has served LEO's in other countries well, even to this day. Other names for the .380 acp are 9mm browning and 9mm short, since it shares its diameter with other 9mm cartridges.

Dozens of independent tests here: KTOG Forum - Links to .380 Ammo Tests

bullettest1ye9.jpg

As to your holster... I have not found any that I find fitting to my finicky taste, so I had my wonderful wife make a couple to my specs. I have found that with the proper amount of wide elastic and faux leather, you can do some amazing things.

Last edited:

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Hornady has recently come out with a product called "Critical Defense" that has gained good reviews. Currently offered in .380, 9mm, 38 SPL and 38SPL+P. I saw some pictures of a 38+P that was shot into water jugs and it mushroomed beautifully. The design is said to eliminate problems with fabric plugging up the hollow point. Has a plastic tip similar to PowerBall. Sounds like it has merit. I paid about $20 for 20 at Beach Grove for +P 38 SPL. Carry it in my 442.
    Don't feel down about the Bersa. I had one that was dependable and very accurate. They do the job intended and don't cost a fortune. Carry it proudly and with confidence.

Jimbo-Indy - Can you share any reviews that you have seen showing Hornady's Critical Defense as compared to other brands? I have wanted to like Hornady's CD since I first heard about it, but I've only seen the marketing video from Hornady and one incomplete article. I have however seen a lot of people talking it up on other forums... Just wondering if this stuff is real or hype. I'm in marketing, so I know the power of hype.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    There was a nice thread about it on The Firing Line (I think). Either there of Smith-Wesson Forum. This e are the others I frequented today besides INGO. It was in the "Ammunition" section of the forum

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Critical Defense; that's the one I couldn't think of! Thanks.

Trav, there's nothing wrong with a Bersa 380. They're a good value. Perform just as well as the Walther PP/SIG 232 for half the price. I find the Bersa more comfortable than the Walther actually. And the "full-size" .380 gives you the full 3.5" barrel length. The lack of recoil allows for very rapid follow-up shots.

When you get out of school and start earning some dough, something like a Kahr CW9 will give you more firepower in the same size package. And, 9mm is cheaper to shoot in the long run.

Top Bottom