• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm curious: Are reloading dies available for .380 acp?
    Are components scarce?

Some enterprising reloader could do well at a show if possible. the only reason I won't buy a new .380 is because of the ammunition situation. I have an older Italian .380 like new because I can't justify shooting it. Plus it's heavier than a modern .380. So it sits.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    My advice to anyone...forget the .380..buy a CZ-82 9x18 is cheaper and a little more powerful. Yes, you can get a 50 rd. box of hollowpoints for about 15-16 bucks.

Jesseatteberry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Are components scarce?

Some enterprising reloader could do well at a show if possible. the only reason I won't buy a new .380 is because of the ammunition situation. I have an older Italian .380 like new because I can't justify shooting it. Plus it's heavier than a modern .380. So it sits.

Yes RCBS makes dies for .380. I just loaded up 500 rounds, But be careful
    They are little and it is easy to get pinched fingers in the press.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    Are components scarce?

You can get the dies, it uses standard primers and a light 9mm bullet, but the cases are as hard to find as loaded ammo. The other caliber I've had trouble getting is .45 Long Colt, and then only the lead cowboy rounds, no jacketed ammo to be found.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    I have read a lot of thread about the price of 380. I picked up several boxes of PMC 95 gr. hard ball for $14/ 50 at Rural King. It makes very good practice ammo. The price of high quality defense ammo has always been high but how often do you shoot it.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Supply and demand.

Not all that long ago (2003 maybe?), 380acp was somewhere around the #8 spot in terms of handgun cartridge popularity. To put that in perspective, anything past #6 or #7 is getting into cartridges carried by 1-2% or so of shooters.

Fast forward to today and we have shall issue laws in most states (8 more than 2003). We are awash in 380 pocket pistols from the likes of Kel-Tec, Ruger, SIG, Kahr, Taurus, Magnum Research, North American Arms, etc. We've had many people buying guns for the first time since the last election (with first time buyers often choosing smaller calibers, like 380).

So, the popularity of 380acp for carry has jumped to about #4 or so (just behind the trifecta of 9mm/45acp/40S&W, and ahead of 38 spl and 357 mag). This created a situation where a cartridge that wasn't all that popular has shot up in popularity and there's been upward pressure on the demand for most cartridges since the last election.

I think the manufacturers are still playing catch-up adjusting their production to meet demand, and they have little wiggle room in terms of capacity with the general rise in demand for ammo in general.

I'm not expecting the situation to change much over the next 5 years. It will be interesting to see what happens.

bigbore

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Indy S Side
    To add to cosermann's excellent post...
    Don't forget .380 bullets share the same size (.355-.356) as other popular rounds like the 9mm and 38 super. 9mm is very popular and it is used by the military as well- it just isn't cost effective to retool from 9mm to 380.

Keep in mind 9mm is still hard to find- all the stuff I see is Russian made. 9mm WWB has been awol for a few years.

With the rise in popularity of 380 this may change. Pocket carry has become very popular. 9mm for most is either too large a pistol or too much recoil in the smaller guns for pocket carry.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    You call the NRA "shameful" in the same sentence you mention Obama, Pelosi, and Harry R.?

The only reason they haven't slammed us yet is because of people like us, an administration losing popularity as fast as George W. Bush, and groups such AS the NRA.

They will be on it in a flash given the smallest of opportunities. Shame on you............

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I got so tired of empty shelves and high prices of .380 that I don't even look for it anymore. I have been buying 9mm which is much easier to find and less expensive. It's crazy to have to pay $20 for .380 when you can pick up 9mm for $13 or less.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom