• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dhayse32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    Buying my first carry handgun in a month or so and one of my deciding factors is the availability of ammo. Around here (Bloomington) I do not have a lot of options when it comes to quality firarms dealers so I cannot get a good read of what really is hard to come by and what isn't. I am leaning towards a 9mm just because it fits me needs but the others listed might also work. I like the little Ruger .380 but once again, ammo seems to be an issue. Thanks for any info

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    There is very little of anything available right now. It will all become readily available again, in my opinion.
    after last november, people got scared because of what they thought obama might do and started buying all that they could buy.
    After ammo became scarce, other people got scared because ammo was scarce and bought all that they could buy. This is the stage we are in right now.
    Other people quit buying when ammo got scarce because they had already bought ammo at a reasonable rate and have enough to weather the current storm.

Soon, the people involved in the panic buying will have as much as they think they need. The reasonable people will return to buying at a reasonable rate. Ammo availability will increase, and price may decrease. We will see.

That's just my take on the current situation. Feel free to spend your money or not based on my hypothesis, or on any other, since right now, the future is all theory.

lpso708

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2008
    If you are using for carry go with stopping power and what you can handle well. This is to say if you get 45ACP an can't hit a barn it is no good try them all an what feels good to you use. Cannot say more than practice , practice and more practice. Use fmj when you do this an carry good defense loads with you.Ammo will be back saw this in 1994

Marshall74

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Michigan
    I have been to every store in my area ( I'm in Michigan) and all I ever see is .45, .44mag
    .25 auto. I havnt seen any .40 or 9mm or anything else for a few months. I've checked Cheaper Than Dirt's website, they dont have much ammo and neither does Sportsmans guide's website. So before deciding on a caliber, I would do some research and find out what ammo is the most available. Theres my :twocents:

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Welcome to the forum by the way! It may be worth a trip to Indy. Several great local gun shops here. The good news is that there is lots of experience here and lots of people willing to help. I shoot all of the above mentioned but find the Glock 19, 9mm to be available and reliable. you will get lots of "opinions" on Glocks, you have to make up your own mind on that. Hook up with someone who has what you want to try. Pitch in for the ammo, have a fun day at the range, make a new friend.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Welcome to the forum by the way! It may be worth a trip to Indy. Several great local gun shops here. The good news is that there is lots of experience here and lots of people willing to help. I shoot all of the above mentioned but find the Glock 19, 9mm to be available and reliable. you will get lots of "opinions" on Glocks, you have to make up your own mind on that. Hook up with someone who has what you want to try. Pitch in for the ammo, have a fun day at the range, make a new friend.

:+1:

I agree. 9mm isn't too hard to find and is significantly less expensive than .45. It's DEFINITELY worth a trip to Indy to check out what's available for you to see, touch, feel. Once you've decided what you like to "touch" - shoot it - and if you like it, buy it!

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    If you're in NWI or willing to make the trip, stop in at Precision Cartridge in Hobart for bulk ammo. 1000rds for under 300 bucks.

I just picked up my online order from Cabelas today as well, 2500 rounds of various calibers from a few different manufacturers. Now it's time to buy more guns to fit the ammo.

dhayse32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    Thanks everyone for the replies and information. All we have around here is a MC Sports (like a Dick's). There is a place in Bedford names Cosner's but I don't know much about it, apparently they have some stuff there. What are some quality shops in Indy?

D.T.O.M.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    martinsville
    Cosners is a kick a-- gun shop they have a lot of guns, accessories a big selection of mags and last time I was there not too bad a selection of ammo I do not know where you live in B-town but it is not too far from you You should check it out!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    There is a local shop not far from me. He has everything. The last time we went, was last week. His shelves where stocked, and he had boxes of ammo lining the floor. So I personaly have not had a problem finding ammo, at reasonable prices. Walmart, can kiss my anus!

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I went into the local Walmart a few mornings ago looking for .22LR, and found they had 8 boxes of Blazer Brass 9mm @ less than $9 / box. They only let me buy 6 boxes.

exodusc20v3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Ammo

9mm is cheap, easy to find, but doesnt have much penetration, when its counting. 40 I feel is a worthless caliber, 45 has good penetration, but at a higher cost, and finding ammo for it now is very hard. hmm I vote 9mm, so you can get u a 9mm carbine too and share ammo.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    This morning, I stopped at a Walmart on the west side of Indy, just to check on ammo. I was stunned to find boxes of .38, 40 cal., .22 LR, .223 and shotshells.
    There were two other customers waiting for the clerk with locker key. We all discussed what we were hoping to purchase and came to an agreement to split the ammo up fairly. No other customers showed up in the meantime, so we wiped out everything but the .223 stock.

It ain't hoarding anymore folks....it's investing!!!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom