• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Henry rifles have ALWAYS been made in the USA, and according to their advertisements, "...always will be."

He means the original Henry, just not a rifle made with the name Henry stuck on it.
    1860_henry_rifle.jpg

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Henry rifles have ALWAYS been made in the USA, and according to their advertisements, "...always will be."

Everyone should know all Henry's are made in the USA. SERparacord is correct, I am referring to is the Original Henry clones are made overseas. It will be nice to have Henry make an Original henry in the USA

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have two henry levers and really think they are great. I would like to get the new remake of the original. I am sure it will be a exellent gun but the 2K+ price slows me down a bit. I will probably will end up with one I am sure :-(

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    November 16th I plan on being in my climbing tree stand with a Super Blackhawk 44mag on my belt and a lever action 44 mag rifle in hand just like every other year. Most years I take 2 deer, because 2 is enough. The .357 mag is a fantastic caliber and will kill deer alright, but if you have ever tracked a deer for hours, and not found it, then you most likely will want to increase your chances of that not happening. I believe that a 44 mag will kill a deer quicker. And I also believe that is important. You can argue all day long that a .357 will kill a deer same as a 44 mag, but if you are truely honest with yourself, you will admit the 44 mag will kill quicker. I've been hunting deer for 30 years, and will admit I don't know it all, but I do believe the 44 mag is a better choice.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    From the Henry website:

Now, the Original Henry Rifle is back in all its American-made glory.
    The Original Henry Rifle is virtually identical to its history-making forerunner in all aspects. The only exception: it is a .44-40 caliber. The 1860 version was made in caliber .44 Rimfire, also invented by Benjamin Tyler Henry, but long an obsolete cartridge. Every other facet remains true to its inventor, and each gun's serial number begins with the initials BTH in his honor.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Here is an interesting tid bit of history to relate back to the OP's original interest of same caliber for rifle and pistol. S&W had the patent, that only they could drill all the way through the cylinder. That patent did not run out until 1873, and that is when the Colt "Peacemaker" came out. But S&W made revolvers prior to that in 44 rimfire, so that a guy could have a pistol and rifle shooting one cartridge. A good gunsmith could convert the old cap and ball Colt revolvers to fire the 44 rimfire though. And often times the Colt was preferred.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Here is an interesting tid bit of history to relate back to the OP's original interest of same caliber for rifle and pistol. S&W had the patent, that only they could drill all the way through the cylinder. That patent did not run out until 1873, and that is when the Colt "Peacemaker" came out. But S&W made revolvers prior to that in 44 rimfire, so that a guy could have a pistol and rifle shooting one cartridge. A good gunsmith could convert the old cap and ball Colt revolvers to fire the 44 rimfire though. And often times the Colt was preferred.

Colt must have cheated a little if the patent for a bored through cylinder expired in '73. The 1873SAA (Peacemaker) wasn't the first bored through cylinder gun to come from Hartford.
    They had cartridge firing versions of the 1860 Army and 1851 Navy before then( Richards/ Mason conversion) and complete from scratch guns, now typically called the 1871/1872 Open Top for sale by 1872 at the latest.
    Repros of these made by Uberti have been around for several years, often sold by Cimarron, Taylor and Co and others.
    Pretty cool guns if you like the old west stuff.

Uberti 1860 Army Conversion, 1858 New Army Conversion, 1851 Navy Conversion, and 1871-1872 Open Top

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Always thought the '66 Yellowboy was one purty gun. Beautiful pic. I have the 20" short rifle in 38sp, great squirrel and fox gun.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    OP, 44mag is very common, very powerful, and will out-perform either of the other 2 cartridges you just mentioned. If I had your choice to make right now, my choice would be easy. One thing I would like to point out: A double action revolver will give you a WAY more user-friendly gun (that still has a single action option) than any single action out there. My choice would be a SW 629 or 29 for the handgun and a Marlin for the lever gun. I only say this because Ruger doesnt make its semi auto 44 anymore. Point being, unless you have a certain affinity for cowboy type guns, there are better choices out there.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    OP, 44mag is very common, very powerful, and will out-perform either of the other 2 cartridges you just mentioned. If I had your choice to make right now, my choice would be easy. One thing I would like to point out: A double action revolver will give you a WAY more user-friendly gun (that still has a single action option) than any single action out there. My choice would be a SW 629 or 29 for the handgun and a Marlin for the lever gun. I only say this because Ruger doesnt make its semi auto 44 anymore. Point being, unless you have a certain affinity for cowboy type guns, there are better choices out there.

i can run 45C at the same speed as 44mag with 18% larger diameter.....i'm pushin' a 270gr 1500fps from a 7 1/2" barrel...and as far as from double to single action is all in who is runnin' it.....

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    i can run 45C at the same speed as 44mag with 18% larger diameter.....i'm pushin' a 270gr 1500fps from a 7 1/2" barrel...and as far as from double to single action is all in who is runnin' it.....

I was waiting for a post like this. Very true, but the OP did not indicate the desire to reload. The 44mag is way more practical.

Top Bottom