• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lambo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    I have been reading all the information in all the threads I could find about these reloads. You guys have covered this very well and I apologize for beating this horse up again but I could not send a PM until I have 50 posts? I know Broom has done a lot with these rounds and DJones I believe has also posted info.
    My questions are:

• The resizing of other brass where to get dies and what die
    • What brass to use, it looks like 308 win brass matches up well as does 30/06 dimensionally and I have some 308 win
    • I have a Dillon xl650 and a Rock Chucker single stage press
    • I would like to have the set up for both.
    • Caliber conversion "shell plate" used on the Dillon as they don't offer one in the 35 rem unless the 35 rem mag is the same?
    • I have bullets and bought 60 200 gr ftx Hornady factory rounds along with 20 rem 200 gr interlocks to have some brass ad something to shoot.
    • I have the Lee 3 die set with the factory crimp (yet to be modified) w/ shell holder so I'm good for the RC after crimp die mod.
    • Powder I have bought anything I could find in stock for my various loads (460 s&w, 9mm, 45acp, 223, 35 rem) as I am just getting started reloading. This can be tweaked as needed.

I started out here asking about 460 loads now I have a Marlin 336 35 rem better be careful what I ask about. I agree with what someone said "this is what hunting is all about, the preparation takes all year the shot is the result of all the work we do throughout the year"

Maybe we can get a summary of what is required to load these rounds all in one place as I agree this is a great setup. Thanks for all the good info!

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Lambo,

I don't say this to be rude or condescending, but you're both "over-thinking" this, and possibly lack some of the basic knowledge of reloading that is required to make it happen. I'm sure we can resolve both in this thread. :)

* The ONLY brass you need to buy is 35 Remington brass.
    * It does not need to be resized, initially, only trimmed, chamfered and deburred.
    * The RC single-stage is the better tool for this job; it's not like you're going to need 500 rounds.
    * Once you have the cases trimmed and they are once-fired, I don't see why you couldn't use the 650, the speed of reloading just isn't indicated.
    * The 35 Rem Mag is entirely different than a 35 Remington, so the shell plate would not be interchangeable. (Again, no need to over-think this or make it more complicated.)
    * You can shoot the 80 rounds of factory ammo for fun, and then trim them to legal length, but for future needs, just by virgin, unloaded brass. (The 80 pieces you have may last 10 years.)
    * As far as powders go, you want a medium-fast rifle powder for this cartridge. H335 is a good choice, as is RL12.
    * As far as a load combination, the 200gr FTX bullets and LVR powder is probably the very best option.

Hunting and shooting are fun. When you can't go hunting and shooting, it can be almost as fun preparing to go hunting and shooting! :D

The summary of what to do is painfully simple: Trim factory 35 Remington cases from 1.920" to 1.800", chamfer, deburr, load with a documented load for 35 Remington, crimp with a modified Lee FCD. Presuming you have the required knowledge to reload bottlenecked metallic cases, that is ALL there is to it. If a jug-head like me can do it... ;)

Lambo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Broom,

Thanks, I may have a little George Washington in me I believe he once said "if I had 8 hours to chop down a cherry tree I would spend 7 hours sharpening my axe"

No I am new to the reloading process, bought some of my supplies last year and am still gathering items. Just so many choices and sources of information. Not to mention everyone you talk to seems to have different ideas.

Just got back from the 1500 not much there in the way of powder, still need a case trimmer.

I have the Dillon set up for 9mm and will be starting there. The RC is where I will start with the 35.

I have some IMR 8208 to get started with some 200 gr interlock bullets and some 200gr FTX ordered.

Over thinking is definitely a possibility....

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    I like to resize mine before and after trimming. I'll send you a PM with my email if you have any specific questions. I loaded the 35 short on both the Dillon 650 and a single stage.

antiquejd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Columbia City
    My reloading book notes that if you are reloading for Marlin rifles with Micro-Groove rifling, you should keep the velocities below 1600 fps for best accuracy. Closest to that is IMR 4064, 34 grains, with 1652 fps using a 200 gr jacketed RN.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    AntiqueJD, I think you are reading some misinformation. Probably Lyman cast bullet handbook. I shoot jacketed and cast out of my Marlin 336 35 Rem micro groove well above 1600 FPS with great accuracy.

antiquejd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Columbia City
    Djones. I have not tried to determine if the information is accurate. You are correct that it is taken from the 49th Edition Lyman Reloading Manual. I also do not know the degree of difference between "great accuracy" and "best accuracy". It does however create the desire to set up varying cartridges and go to the range and test them. Learn something new everyday is and will continue to be my goal. Thanks for prodding me on this one...

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    In my experience with the 35Rem short-neck in a Marlin with micro-groove rifling, and jacketed bullets, groups are good around 2000 to 2100fps, but most groups start to open up quick around 2200fps. I am sure cast bullets will not take that much speed.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Affirmative. Most certainly gas-checked. straight wheel weight alloy. Liquid Alox lube. About .3585 diameter as I recall though I may not recollect that number off the top of my head. No leading. Spank 'em just like a jacketed bullet. No problems here. Not in a short case, though - I don't put cast bullets in the short cases.

Sadly, my cast bullets aren't particularly accurate whether I shoot em fast or slow. I can only get about 4 or 5 inch groups at 100 yards.

I've since decided that having the throttle wide open all the time is good when racing go-karts but not as much fun when shooting. I load both cast and jacketed bullets more mildly now. It's cheaper, easier on my shoulder, easier on the rifle, and the paper targets can't tell the difference.

Top Bottom