• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The only problem is that Lee has been SO busy making other tools, they haven't taken any customer orders for at least the last 6 months, IIRC.

It's true that you don't feel the shots you take in the woods, but you have to get your gun sighted in...and you'll definitely feel the recoil off a bench! I have a couple of buddies who shoot slug guns and they seem to always want to come over and use the Lead Sled while sighting in. :)

Like you said, the cost of those slugs is no joke, either. You could load your own shortened 35 Remmy rounds for way less than half the cost of the slugs. If that means you can afford to shoot a lot more often, and with a rifle capable of better 200-yard accuracy, does that mean you'll do more practicing with it?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I too run a TC Contender in .35 Rem.
    Added 7.5 shot and epoxy to the G2 (easy mod for older TC) synth forearm hollows (16.25" bbl, was a little wobbly offhand). It helped.
    Going to add a Bullberry hanger bar, to hopefully reduce the once in a great while flyer.
    Also making a Kydex cheekpiece for the TC synth buttstock. To shoot farther accurately, added weight and better stock fit I think to be "must haves". Off the bench @100 yds I can keep 5 at around an inch. Have been running a Choate M4 grip/Magpul CTR with riser and ext pad (the thicker pad does nothing to help with recoil). Too tacticool for the look of the rest of the rig IMHO. Ordered a reg TC synth.

Recoil........

It aint bad, think 20 gauge shotgun. I considered it no big deal............until I screwed my neck up at work. 20 shots from the bench 2 days later and I was pretty beat up/sore.

Effectiveness? Killed the deer dead. Clipped onside shoulderblade, quartering to me, down in a flat about 50 yards out. Rib was blown pretty good going in from there, one lung shredded, 2"+ path chewed through liver, bullet (or piece of it) dinked rib at diaphram and chipped it, but no exit. Looked for the bullet but never found it, only recovered a 50gr chunk of lead. Reaction at the shot was to just gun it for 30 yards (with shot side leg up) and slam into a big fallen tree. No movement after that.

200 grainers pretty warm, at the edgde of making extraction sticky. Was hoping for a bit more severe reaction at impact site.
    BOOM! and she was running...........knew she was toast but was "WTH?" Was trying to buckle her. Nope.

get-attachment (2).jpg

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Man, BOTH of those guns are way cool! :D

If you shoot a deer, any deer, and it only goes 30 yards, I'm not sure it's fair to ask for any better. They are tenacious little ungulates!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've killed several dozen, and enjoy bloodtrailing.
    But I also like hammering them down at the spot ;)
    Just wanted a bit more reaction to getting swatted.

BTW, still waiting for my reg TC buttstock (edit: got it today- looks way better, but comb is too low- order Kydex from Knifekits.com)
    I won't be using the .35 in the late season...............but my kid might!

If she says no to hunting, and I haven't shot one with my recurve, I'll probably go out with the Python.
    Got a few does hanging around, none big..........but two adults. Set up my groundblind, a heater, and carry the snake ;)

My TC.35 is done as far as my usage this year.

Last edited:

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I definitely got spoiled by the compact set up on the Contender, but didn't realize it until yesterday when I was carrying the muzzleloader around. My 35 may be done for the season as well depending on what happens with the muzzleloader and bow before the late anterless season. Hookeye, send me a PM on your stock, your box is full.

Top Bottom