• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sinner Man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Thank you for repeating Ruger's advertisement.
    For hunting the magnum loads are great. Do you really need a magnum for self defense loads? How far do you want the bullet to travel and Through what? You kids room that is behind the intruder?
    Is this over kill for self defense?
    20% = 1 bullet. Why not carry a speed loader and add 100% firepower?

If he carries a speedloader, he might as well carry a speedloader for a .327.

That's 12 rounds versus your original 5 being 240 percent. Or even at 12 to 10 that's 120%.

Don't compare 6 with no speedloader to your 5 with speedloader. That's silly.

It's also silly to compare a HOT .327 to a standard 357 to "prove" it's almost as good. That's like saying a 9mm +P+++ is almost as fast and effective as a light 357SIG round. I mean, come on, seriously, who are you trying to fool? If you get a gun, you're going to want to run the hottest stuff or at least compare hottest to hottest. Why not compare a weak .327 to the hottest .357 magnum and tell us how they compare?

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    Looking for a female friend. I personally love my 357. She is somewhat recoil sensitive, and likes the 32 H&R mag, figure she can shoot the 32mag until she is ready for more then go to the 327 without buying a new gun. If that is marketing then so be it. Being as how I am spending her $$ shouldn't matter to me, but she is a friend. She has shot the sp101 in 32 mag and a j frame smith with 38's, 38 is more than she wants right now.

Listen to the woman (and yourself). Buy the .327 and shoot H&R mag and then move up if need be when she's ready for it.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Okay. She shot the sp101 327 and liked it.I'm not surprised. However, she tried the fired cases in each spot in the cylinder an low and behold they wouldn't go in each hole. Glad I saw that Ruger had aan issue and told her to look for that. The seller was surprised and didn't pus anything. So the search continues.

Sinner Man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Wait what? There's a problem fitting spent cases into the cylinder? What does that show? Where did the cases come from?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'm guessing the cases came from the gun they were just fired in and the test was supposed to check chamber uniformity. I've never performed this test on a carry/snub revolver. If it shoots, there's no sign of blowback around the brass inside the cylinder, and the brass extracts fine, the chambers are close enough, and I wouldn't worry about it. You'd resize the brass if you reloaded anyway. Now, if the cases split or were difficult to extract that would be a problem. It should be said, that slightly oversize chambers wouldn't necessarily result in an unsafe revolver although they could have a negative effect on accuracy (so I might try this on a competition/target revolver).

I'd check the chambers this way (really checks for proper restriction at the end of the chambers):

Take a cast bullet (correctly sized for the caliber in question) and drop it down all the chambers to check to see if they are over-sized.

If the chambers are correctly sized a cast bullet (not loaded round) of the appropriate size will NOT fall free of the holes when dropped in.

Not sure what the appropriate size cast bullet would be for these 327 mag revolvers.

Here's a helpful thread on checking out a revolver:
    Revolver checkout: how to tell if a particular specimen is any good - TheFiringLine Forums

Last edited:

Sinner Man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Oh I see. I'm thinking of a lot of autos where the brass is of course no longer going to be the correct size for the chamber after firing- wasn't sure if revolvers worked the same. Even when expanded an empty casing should still fit back into the same gun once fired, no? Maybe not a different one but the same one I'd guess.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Unless one of the chambers was really oversize. Then it might not fit back into a different, smaller chamber.

Sinner Man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Oh so Ruger had problems creating different sized chambers in the SAME cylinder? Wow. I could see different machines cutting different cylinders at the same time and perhaps one has a larger tool than the other but in the same cylinder? wow!

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I think it was on ruger.com I can't remember where for sure. It had something to do with sticky cases after firing the guy called Ruger and was told the gun eas dangerous. I will look for it again, but I will need help with posting a link.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think it was on ruger.com I can't remember where for sure. It had something to do with sticky cases after firing the guy called Ruger and was told the gun eas dangerous. I will look for it again, but I will need help with posting a link.

No problem. Find the Ruger reference page. Highlight the URL in your browser, ei, "http://ruger.com/blah/blah/blah" Copy it and paste into "insert link" dialog box that opens when you click the world icon in your reply to thread area.

Clear as mud, right? I hope that helped.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I bought the Taurus model 5306 in .327 fed mag in Nov. '08? I've not had the first issue with it.
    Yes, it does have near the power of my model 605 in .357mag.
    They are both "snubbies" (2' barrels), the .327 is 6-shot, and the .357mag is 5-shot.
    .327 is SS, .357 is total titanium. BOTH KICK LIKE MULES!:D
    I, personally, do NOT see the reduced recoil, but that's o.k.
    I kind of like the big booms! :draw:

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I told her about a Taurus I found today, I think she is going to go look at it. I had a taurus total titanium really liked it, got a S$W now like it too. The really big boom is great, still miss the super redhawk.

Sinner Man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    dak109- I don't believe there is a "she". Me thinks you are saying this because you are afraid people will call you a girlie man for getting a smaller round- you're just testing the waters, ain't ya? ;)

Just like when you call the radio station you say "your friend" has pain when he pees ;)

I'm just kidding ya! :-P

Top Bottom