• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimmythang

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    I have reloaded .223 and have not had this issue. I ordered these lake city bullets from Wideners. They are 150 grain. OAL =2.7850 OAL on a IVI factory .308 (known good round) is 2.7865. When I go to chamber the round (no powder or primer) the bolt does not go forward all the way. It takes several times to get the round to eject. The ivi (right) is 147 grain and the one on the right is the reload 150 grain. obviously the cannelure is quite a bit higher. But I was told not to go by that cannelure but the OAL
    5C85C2B7-400B-4ACE-AA7A-A84429FF0EEA-150-00000039FCFF8C6C_zps66997b38.jpg
    [/IMG]

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Will the brass chamber without the bullet? And rifling marks on the bullet when you eject it?

I'd seat to the cannelure, the ogive on the left looks a little higher than the one on the right. If the brass chambers easily then just keep increasing the seating depth until it chambers properly. You can smoke the bullet with a match to have the rifling leave witness marks.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Double check the length of the brass. Place a caliper on the diameter just below the shoulder to make sure you haven't ballooned it a little bit when sizing or seating the bullet. If the case neck has been work hardened the tension of the bullet entering the case has, on a couple of occasions, been enough to cause this problem for me.

If you take a dremel and a cut off wheel and make a vertical cut across the neck of a properly sized brass so you can push a bullet into the neck part way then gently chamber the "test cartridge" you can gently extract it and measure the length. subtract .010 and try that for length.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I would think a size problem..

Will the brass chamber without the bullet? And rifling marks on the bullet when you eject it?

I'd seat to the cannelure, the ogive on the left looks a little higher than the one on the right. If the brass chambers easily then just keep increasing the seating depth until it chambers properly. You can smoke the bullet with a match to have the rifling leave witness marks.

+1^^^ Also be sure that the shoulder is push backed enough.
    Size your EMPTY brass back just enough that your bolt will close easily. Chances are that your size die is NOT down enough-you MUST over-cam on your press to get the .308 to size properly...Bill.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Good tip.

Double check the length of the brass. Place a caliper on the diameter just below the shoulder to make sure you haven't ballooned it a little bit when sizing or seating the bullet. If the case neck has been work hardened the tension of the bullet entering the case has, on a couple of occasions, been enough to cause this problem for me.

If you take a dremel and a cut off wheel and make a vertical cut across the neck of a properly sized brass so you can push a bullet into the neck part way then gently chamber the "test cartridge" you can gently extract it and measure the length. subtract .010 and try that for length.

Good tip for O.A.L. setup. Cheaper than a Stoney Point tool. Works just as well.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I would make sure the neck is pushed back far enough as suggested. When I was reloading .308, I had three rounds that would not chamber. I pulled the bullets, and the brass would not chamber. You can set just enough neck tension to hold the bullet and chamber the round, then carefully extract it. Then you can measure the OAL. It's another method you can use to soft seat the bullet for OAL.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Double check the cases in a case gauge to make sure they are sized properly.

Once that is ruled out, check your manuals for proper COAL, just to make sure your seating to right depth.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I hate when threads like these are not answered by the OP. The odds are 90% or more that the chambering problem was caused by an insufficiently sized case or bullet seated too long. Determining either would take just a few minutes and it sure would be nice to hear back on what the root cause was. :)

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Priorities??

I hate when threads like these are not answered by the OP. The odds are 90% or more that the chambering problem was caused by an insufficiently sized case or bullet seated too long. Determining either would take just a few minutes and it sure would be nice to hear back on what the root cause was. :)

+1 on that J.
    It seems when someone is in a bind that they have enough time to come here for help. After the problem is fixed, they do not have enough time to reply.

Hell, next time we should tell them to:
    1. Install a spent primer backwards.
    2. Fill case with Purple Kool-Aid.
    3. Insert flat base bullet upside down.
    4. Seat bullet with base flush to case mouth.
    5. Apply HEAVY roll crimp case mouth.

^^^Do all of the above, and let us know how it worked out?? HA HA...Bill.

-Jake-

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    NWI
    I'm going with improperly sized brass. Do you have the dillon case gauge or anything?

Top Bottom