• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    You're not going to get a "sniper" accurate M1A for less than $1,500.00, if that's what the OP wants. M1A's have too many parts that have to be worked on (unitizing the gas system, etc...) to squeeze top-shelf accuracy out of them to come in at that price point.

Very good point :thumbsup: Then again, "sniper rifle" is a very over used term. I've seen people put a Mosin in a polymer stock, cheap scope mounted on the rear sight base, and a barrel clamped bipod, and then refer to it as "cheap, modern day sniper rifles" :laugh: Try running that against an M24 or M40. I say this to raise the question, what are you realistic goals for this rifle? Are you wanting to shoot a beer can at 100 yards, or are you looking to stretch a 308 to its ballistic limits.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    I like the M1A, however, after going through seven of them (one NFA the rest semi) from Springfield Armory and never having one that would fire 200 rounds with out major issues (guns have been back to the manufacture, M14 smiths etc. and always something going wrong), gave up on the brand ... at least for a couple more years ;-). Lots of other higher end options but not at $1500.

For accuracy you have to work on a semi auto 308 to get a consistent low MOA (i.e. average groups not best group of the day and all others were "fliers" ;-) and like other posters said a 2 MOA rifle (aka ~ 2.1" at 100 yards) is probably a good "typical" rifle. For the money it is a lot easier to get a sub MOA bolt gun and w/o optics one might get close to a half MOA at $1500 with a little work, luck and lots of load development (lightly used Sako TRG etc.).

Again like the M1A (which is why I kept coming back) but harder to make a clean and good scope mount.

First think is go with what you want and/or need as if not you will be getting another gun in the near future. And shoot before you buy, has to be someone on line that can be talked into shooting if you bring good ammo and soda ;-)

hnts4fun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    I bought a DPMS LR 308 last year for around a grand. It came with decent rings and a $100 scope. I let a friend, who is our PD's TAC team sniper, ring it out "as is" with Federal premium ammo. Granted 200 yds is not all that far but this rife hung in at that range shooting 1-1.5 inches all afternoon.

I had been worried about a lot of the negative press these rifles had been getting as well, but I'll be keeping this one for awhile.

BTW I bought this used with a 3 day return agreement with the seller. Couldn't have worked out better. I'll be looking to stretch my dollars on used glass soon. If the manufacturer has a history of backing their stuff; it's hard to go wrong with used.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I bought a DPMS LR 308 last year for around a grand. It came with decent rings and a $100 scope. I let a friend, who is our PD's TAC team sniper, ring it out "as is" with Federal premium ammo. Granted 200 yds is not all that far but this rife hung in at that range shooting 1-1.5 inches all afternoon.

I had been worried about a lot of the negative press these rifles had been getting as well, but I'll be keeping this one for awhile.

BTW I bought this used with a 3 day return agreement with the seller. Couldn't have worked out better. I'll be looking to stretch my dollars on used glass soon. If the manufacturer has a history of backing their stuff; it's hard to go wrong with used.

i get used scopes in pretty regular, check with me when you get ready to buy

KENPO333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2012
    fnh fnar 308's have dropped in price and are good to 800 meters with the right ammo semi with 20 round mags get the 20 inch fluted barrel

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    Not sure about "sniper" rifle but how about a "precession" rifle.
    Heres mine and its under 1500.

savage Model 10 FP
    Bell and Carlson Tactical Medalist Stock
    Harris BR Bipod
    EGW Base
    Burris XTR Rings
    SWFA 10x40 SF Super Sniper.
    I have an Eagle Stock pack and a Tac-Ops Quick Cuff sling.
    Add in a Midway USA drag bag and your still under 1500 bucks.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    In all honesty, for the money, I would go with an M1A. You can get a nice one for around $1,200. They are time proven battle rifle, still used in combat today.

Yes! And to think I have three complete GI M14 parts kits. They appear to be unfired and are complete with torch cut receivers. Wonder what they are worth? Two Winchesters and a Springfield.:rockwoot:I picked these up in a trade about 15 years ago and I am in them right.

econnell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Story (Brown Co)
    I personally love the FN FAL as a semi auto in .308..get a heavy barrel put on it and INMHO it's better than any of the others on a AR platform but then Again you can spend 3k on a gun and if you don't know your ballistics or how to shoot some 10 year old with a red Ryder will out shoot ya ....lol
    Good luck and best wishes on this.

Okimeister

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    Central Indiana
    For around $1300 you could get a Springfield Armory Standard M1A, then as you get used to it and tweek out for accuracy then replace the sights, barrel and trigger group. I say the Standard rather than the Loaded because I believe it's the sights that are upgraded and you can do that yourself much cheaper.
    Plus SA has a lifetime warranty and GREAT customer service !!!

Top Bottom