• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Love my FAL, got it before the garand, the AK, the si556, ( still haven't gotten into AR's but plan on about 6 of them down the line) I love it, however I may be gettign rid of it if I can't find a job soon. gonna cry that day, I bought mine for 500 bucks and the only real problemn I have is magazines, hopefully magpul makes a PMAG for the FAL someday. the isreali contract mags work fine but some of the others I have picked up have caused many FTF's I even have one mag here the folower gets hung up on the BHO and I have to partialy tear downt he gun to get it out.

The only weak points I see to the FAL are the magazines. Understand that the sights were desinged with simplicity in mind, preset for 100-600 meters in 100 meter increments, and windage is adjusted by lossening screws and using other screws to push left or right, much less to break then a garand style sightm but not as eay to adjust. the front sight post is adjustable to help fine tune elevation though.

the trigger is a bit stiff on mine but I goused to it with what I call a mosin trigger job. ( shoot a 91/30 50 times and most other triggers instantley seem better) One thing to watch out for is the Gas plug if you tunr it 180 degrees the to far you shut off the gas system and will suffer stovepipes. it is a great rifle and will keep up with any other .308 battle rifle save the AR-10 for accuracy, and maybe a fully accurized M1A/M14. just wish the mags were a bit more like the G3.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    I got my metric hesse FAL last week for $650.....lol

so does that answer for my vote??? The FAL or G3 style is the way to go for under 1000 with 308. Also, check out gunbroker for 308 surplus ammo, its not that pricey

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Go PTR. Will cost you over a thousand, but why take a chance with lesser quality 308s. Plus, replacement parts are the cheapest of any of the 308s out there. They are built like tanks!

picture.php

picture.php

mudwater

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Wells County
    Do what I do when researching for a new firearm. Go to Gunbroker, select semi-auto rifles and search 308. Gives you lots to look at with prices. I would not buy that way but it is a good way to see a variety of guns.

Personally stay away from a saiga. Ok rifles but only if your budget is much tighter.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom