• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    To answer your follow-up question, there is no doubt in my mind. It would be an M1 Garand. Along with lots of clipped ammo from the CMP.

I would go to war with one of mine anytime.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    You're willing to pay twice as much to pull the trigger everytime just to not look like a follower?

Follow along with your friends and get something in .223 or x39 first.

As far as paying twice as much for ammo I disagree. I have a 223(AR), x39(SKS), and 308(PTR-91). It costs me .40 to shoot the 223 and .50 to shoot the 308. My PTR eats everything I put in it and is a lot easier to clean than my AR. It obviously has more recoil, but really not that bad. If you want a 308, then get a 308. I was on the fence for many years, and finally got one. I couldn't be happier. Don't let people talk you out of it!!! A FAL will probably be my next purchase. Good luck in your decision.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I have a L1A1....with a scope ...flash hider etc....nice shooting rifle, I have never had any problems with it. But the only thing I don't care for is the weight, it has to be in the 10-11 LB range. I would hate to have to carry that around all day.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I have a L1A1....with a scope ...flash hider etc....nice shooting rifle, I have never had any problems with it. But the only thing I don't care for is the weight, it has to be in the 10-11 LB range. I would hate to have to carry that around all day.

I saw a century one of these today for $599 I think it was. I was curious on how good they were.

to the OP I've been trying to figure out the same sort of thing you are. I've already got an SKS and a good amount of ammo for it, but would like something more powerful in a semi auto. But personally since I've got plenty of 7.62x54r ammo as well, I'm actually thinking about a PSL as well as the ones you are thinking of. I'd just do some shopping around, see if you can get to hold some of the ones you are debating on. And if possible get to shoot them so you can decide which you like best.

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    Don't worry about being a follower or not being a follower! Just get what you want. I can not really offer you much first hand info on the different FALs and variants because I am a M14/M1A and AR-10 man but I would much rather feed a 308/7.62NATO over a 5.56 or 7.62Soviet! Accurate, hard-hitting and a wonderful all-purpose round! From target to plinking, varmints to large game, and SHTF situations, it won't let you down and it will definately be enough to do the job!

Don't rule out a M1 Garand though, Fabulous rifle and a time prove round!:rockwoot:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    As far as paying twice as much for ammo I disagree. I have a 223(AR), x39(SKS), and 308(PTR-91). It costs me .40 to shoot the 223 and .50 to shoot the 308. My PTR eats everything I put in it and is a lot easier to clean than my AR. It obviously has more recoil, but really not that bad. If you want a 308, then get a 308. I was on the fence for many years, and finally got one. I couldn't be happier. Don't let people talk you out of it!!! A FAL will probably be my next purchase. Good luck in your decision.

Well that's not really a fair argument since you aren't comparing the prices of equal quality .223 and .308.

I'm not telling him too not get the .308 either, I have rifles in both too, but if they only reason he isn't is because he doesn't want to be a "follower," I think that is silly because .223 is definitely cheaper and I think it is a better round to start out with if he's new to the (semi auto) long arm game.

But if you are just wanting something different, then .308 is a great round...On a $1000 budget, if you are looking for (exceptional) accuracy, you may want to get an AR15 in .223.

But on a $1000 budget you won't be able to get quality optics for your AR 15 either, so it may not matter.:scratch:

Ahhh, heck, just flip a coin. :D

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Hmmm, I thought that was what I was doing. Asking people who SUCCESSFULLY ACCOMPLISHED purchasing and owning a .308 battle rifle for information so I could avoid any mistakes they might have made.

So Jack, are you a fan of the AR or the AK?

I wouldn't say I'm much of a fan of either one. I do own an AR in 223 though. Commonality of amunition and parts, it also will accomplish the same job I use another 223 for and still I can pull the scope off and bust in doors and take names. I doubt any one is going to be pleased with what they find if I'm awake and aware with it in my hands when they come busting down my door while my single shot may just serve to PO the ones left alive.

That was my reasoning, the AK or SKS would not get the job done of popping coyotes, beavers, and other vermin at the distances I want to be able to do it.

IMG_0085.jpg

DPMS Panther I believe, something like that. It's not my favorite gun but it get's the job done I bought it to do. Owner operator at Harder's guns on Gun Shop road south of Shoals built it for me.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    Mooresville
    You might also want to think about how much you are going to shot, Last time I saw the price of 308 ammo. It made me wonder why the price of 308 rifles wore not going down. I dont know how a lot of people can afford to shot large cal. with the prices of today

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Well that's not really a fair argument since you aren't comparing the prices of equal quality .223 and .308.

I'm not telling him too not get the .308 either, I have rifles in both too, but if they only reason he isn't is because he doesn't want to be a "follower," I think that is silly because .223 is definitely cheaper and I think it is a better round to start out with if he's new to the (semi auto) long arm game.

But if you are just wanting something different, then .308 is a great round...On a $1000 budget, if you are looking for (exceptional) accuracy, you may want to get an AR15 in .223.

But on a $1000 budget you won't be able to get quality optics for your AR 15 either, so it may not matter.:scratch:

Ahhh, heck, just flip a coin. :D

Good point sir! Either way though, both are expensive to shoot. I was actually comparing similar quality 223 and 308. I have been buying 7.62 NATO surplus for around $10-$12 and 5.56 NATO for $9-$11. I agree if you are just getting into the evil battle rifle market, your first choice should be an AK. Not too much maintenance required if any at all on them. Plus, it is an intermediate round between the two (i.e. 223 & 308). As far as maintaining a 308, the FAL probably wins. As far as parts and mags go, HK91 clones win. I've bought used alloy mags for my PTR for $1.50. M14/M1A are fantastic, but are way tooo pricey IMHO. Once again though, get what you want:ar15:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Battlerifle Questions
    I am trying to do my homework so when purchasing one of these rifles becomes feasible I have some idea of what to pursue. I am interested in a semiauto .308 that will be accurate out to the 400-800yrd range. Any suggestions and especially those based on personal/range experience would be greatly appreciated.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    POF.
    Springfield.
    FNAR
    older non parts FAL

Battlerifle Questions
    I am trying to do my homework so when purchasing one of these rifles becomes feasible I have some idea of what to pursue. I am interested in a semiauto .308 that will be accurate out to the 400-800yrd range. Any suggestions and especially those based on personal/range experience would be greatly appreciated.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Current 308 semi auto style guns on the market include the M1A, FAL, HK91, CETME, SCAR heavy, AR10, KelTec RFB, PTR91.

Where have you seen one of these? THAT is on the list.

If you want the .308 get it. You will want one in the long run anyway.

Lots of great advice in this thread. I haven't ever shot an FAL but I do own 4 rifles in the m1a/Garand pattern and these are GREAT rifles. Also DPMS pattern .308 rifles are a cheaper route than the other .308 ar's out there.

Good luck, have fun, and get a reloader.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    I have a Entreprise FAL but at around $1,100. Many good post here so for whatever your reasons to consider .308 semi-auto you are reasoning well to consider FAL pattern MBR. Right Arm of the Free World. Check on gunbroker, the Falfiles forum or check local gunstores. I have at times seen one in PSS(DSA STG 58 ~1,100) and a used Imbel at Wannamaker Guns(1,000). I will be tough to stay under the $1,000 mark for a FAL but put your time in and it can be done.
    100_0847.jpg

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    I think that Jack made some valid points. There is great advantage to having the collective experience of friends as well as parts and ammo commonality. Perhaps it isn't that you want to be a follower, but rather you want to do something different? The resualt might be the same, but the reasoning is different...thus giving a slant to what it is your looking for.

I too am interested in a few rifles in .308, not because I don't want to be a follower, but rather I like the idea of a "full" caliber type rifle, in addition or to compliment the rifles I already have. I am thinking of a bolt action .308 first though, but I have considered either the FAL or the AR-10 type platform.

I love my AR-10A2 carbine! It reminds me of my old issued M4 carbine—only on steroids :rockwoot:

Top Bottom