• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Savage is known to make reasonably priced rifles that are accurate out of the box. I have no personal experience, but I've read it a lot. .308/7.62x51 is pretty much described as not the best at anything, but pretty good for a lot of things. It is a current NATO caliber, so, at least until the latest unpleasantness there was a good bit of surplus available. It can take any game on the continent. It's fairly well regarded as a sniper round. I have a couple of bolts and an SA chambered for it. You can fire 7.62x51 in a .308 but are advised not to do the reverse.

MG77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    If you are going to own a larger caliber, it's not the most expensive to shoot, ammo is not to hard to find, and as stated above will be large enough to put anything down hunting wise in North America. In my research many rounds are better but this is the round that works for a lot of different applications and doesn't break the bank.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    You can fire 7.62x51 in a .308 but are advised not to do the reverse.

Incorrect, unlike .223/5.56, MOST the time you are ok switching between 7.62 and .308, again I stress MOST.

As far as the Axis, its a cheaper option from Savage, I think they have somewhat replaced the Stevens line if I'm not mistaken. No personal experience with them, but from a little bit of reading I've done, they can't be upgraded with normal Savage 10/110 parts like the Stevens line was capable of.

MG77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Does the Axis have an adjustable trigger? It is rated at 6.5 pounds.

I don't know if the factory is adjustable I am sure there are adjustments that can be done but folks I know that shoot savage rifles usually do a home project swap out with an accutrigger. You can find all kinds of videos online that will take you through the process. I don't know the price off hand but the accutriggers are reasonable.

My brother loves anything Savage, he loads his own ammo and gets good results from the guns he owns and he owns several different calibers.

Cowboy45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Whitley County
    I have a Savage smokeless muzzle loader with an acutrigger and like it a lot.. I don't specifically own an axis.. But when I was shopping for a .308 I ran across a Howa 1500.. Gun and scope combo.. Pulled the trigger once and fell in love with it.. Little more expensive than the savage.. But a very nice and accurate gun.. My father shoots a Sako 7mm Rem Mag because of the flatter projectory.. But I never liked the inconsistentsy I got out of my Remington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag so I switched to a .308 plus what they said above it was cheaper and a lot of it..

Last edited:

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    I have the Ruger American in .308. A few $$ more than the Savage but I love it. Haven't had a single issue, smooth action, and pretty accurate as far as I am concerned. My only minor complaint is the forend seems a little flimsy considering it has a free floated barrel.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I'll throw in my two bits on this one. You should also consider a T/C Venture (similar to the Axis), it's a better value in my opinion. Slightly more money, but feels more solid and shoots as well, if not better.

country85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Friend of mine just picked up a Remmy 700 at Dunham's for a tad over $400, very solid rifle, adjustable trigger. Shoots 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards with crappy steel case stuff

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I traded a Charles Daly Semi Auto Shotgun for the rig. I thought I was making out okay but it is tough to find ammo for the 308. I did see some subsonic yesterday but did not go for it. AMMO AMMO?

MG77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    I traded a Charles Daly Semi Auto Shotgun for the rig. I thought I was making out okay but it is tough to find ammo for the 308. I did see some subsonic yesterday but did not go for it. AMMO AMMO?

Natchez and Cheaper than Dirt have some 308 shown as available online, Natchez has Barnes I believe and Cheaper than Dirt has some higer grade stuff can't remember the name.

Top Bottom