• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speedway

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I am looking for a reduced load to shoot target with my 30-06 (Ruger M77). I want to reduce the wear and tear.
    I found a Trailboss load on the IMR site, but haven't tried it yet. (150gr NOS BT, 13.3 gr Trailboss).
    Has anyone tested this load or have a different/better load for target shooting?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895 Reduced Rifle Loads.pdf

NOTE: I'm not sure Sierra still makes the 135gr bullet listed on that page.

There are tons of reduced recoil, "plinking" loads out there for 30-'06. I load the 125gr NOS BT and H4895 for my wife to hunt deer with in Michigan. It's very accurate and at the speeds we get (~2,500fps) the recoil is mild but the terminal performance of the bullet is excellent!

Trailboss is another way to get there, but since I use H4895 in a bunch of other loads, it made the most sense for me. Let us know which way you decide to go! :)

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    NOTE: I'm not sure Sierra still makes the 135gr bullet listed on that page.

There are tons of reduced recoil, "plinking" loads out there for 30-'06. I load the 125gr NOS BT and H4895 for my wife to hunt deer with in Michigan. It's very accurate and at the speeds we get (~2,500fps) the recoil is mild but the terminal performance of the bullet is excellent! :)

yeah, they're called .308 rounds /flamesuiton

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    Buy a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. It will open up a whole new world of shooting. Check out the Cast Boolits forum. Those guys are real experts at making anything shoot cast bullets well. I do this with all of my African big bore cartridges all the time. The gun, as well as your shoulder will last much longer, and you'll shoot a lot more, and a lot cheaper.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    125 gr Speer TNT .30 bullets make good, light recoil rounds, and are very accurate inside of 250 yards. If you buy them in the 500 piece bulk pack, they are not too bad of price.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Sorry. I don't understand the original question. Reduce wear and tear on the rifle or you? The rifle is designed for full power loads. You can shoot thousands before the barrel shows any wear in the throat.

If you want a puff ball load to ease what pummels your shoulder, 16 grains of 2400 behind up to a 190 grain lead bullet will serve you well out to 100 yards.

What distance do you plan to shoot?

Speedway

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I wasn't sure about the wear and tear on the barrel, but I really noticed the barrel getting really hot shooting my hunting loads. My shoulder can handle about 20 rounds of the high power loads, but I would like a load I can shoot all day.
    I will shooting target at 200 yards mostly, so I looking for a reduced load that will get me a good grouping at that distance.
    I tried 16gr of Trailboss behind a 150gr Sie BT. The barrel was a lot cooler, but not enough power to go over 100 yards. I am going to try 19gr of trailboss next.
    Thanks for the cast bullet tip, I will check it out.

Top Bottom