• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 09hemi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    OK so 3 gun... I got a springfield xd9 and 5 mags so pistol is covered. I going going get a winchester 1200 from my dad. Question number one, what is a good barrel length for 3 gun competitions? That covers shotgun. Now rifle...i dont have one. What would be a good starter rifle for some interested in 3 gun. I do not want to spend a ton of money on a rifle jsut to get into the sport. On a tight budge currently

Owen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Fishers
    Almost everyone shooting 3 gun uses an AR... But you might be able to get by with a cheap pistol caliber carbine. Check the rules where you intend to shoot before you lay down the cash.
    One way to limit your expense some is to stick to iron sights for all your guns.
    As to shotgun barrel length, at a beginner level it isn't really that important. Shoot what you have and go from there. You will find it useful to put an extended mag tube and an 8 shot sidesaddle on the shotgun. Additionally, you will need a way to carry some extra shotshells on your person. The nice way is the belt stripper things, but you could go cheaper to get started.

If money is really a problem, you might be better off shooting IDPA and USPSA with the pistol for now... 3 gun has a way of racking up the costs pretty quickly.

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    From what I've read the AR 15 with an 18" barrel and rifle length gas system is the ticket. The rifle length gas system will give you the best recoil impulse.

Not too sure on the shotgun barrel length. I'd say 22" or 24". Get one with chokes so you can change it out. Make sure if it's an autoloader that it will function with light loads. Most of what you'll need will be #7.5 or #8 shot.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I shot a 3 gun this last Sunday near Harlan. XD9, 870 Police, M1 tanker in .308. None of them choked because of the cold, unlike some of the AR's and Benelli shotguns brought to the match. It was about 12 degrees afterall.

All of them iron sighted. Lots of A zone hits. Even the M1 did pretty good time-wise. One stage included 4 slugs out of the shotgun.

It gave the match director fits that I shot a minor pistol and major rifle in a transition stage, but he got over it pretty quick when he realized I only had two B zone hits out of 24 shots.

I say all this because I am a new 3 gun shooter and I urge you to just bring what you have and have fun. If you had shown up with ammo, any of us would have loaned you a rifle or shotty.... Just focus on doing some of the complex stages safely. The high speed stuff can come later.

Last edited:

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Shotgun - the most common length is 20-24". If it already has a 26", you can run that until you decide you want something else. Just put an extension tube on it and learn to load in hurry.

AR - if you want a new carbine, a Stag Arms model 3 will get it done for under $900. Then you have the option to scope/dot it, or put on iron sights. That would be plenty of rifle for local matches to start with. If you decide you want something else, buy a new upper.

You can also watch the classifieds here and other places for a used AR. Nothing wrong with that, either.

And, um, why aren't we continuing this conversation in this thread? https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/shooting_sports/127732-where_to_start.html

jwfuhrman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Decatur
    It comes to personal preference on either a 18in with Rifle gas or 16in with mid length. I'm running a 16in BCM SS410 barrel with mid length gas, Troy 15in TRX Extreme and MagPul PRS(rifle buffer). Combine that with a good Comp like the Surefire MB556K or SJC Titan and you will have a very soft shooting gun(although EVERYONE around you when you shoot will want to kill you if you use the SJC because its so freaking loud).

I'd also recommend the Giessele SD3G trigger.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    Use whatever rifle you happen to have access to. AR, AK, M1, M1A, M1carbine, any semi auto. Just go and have fun and don't worry about gear. Last month I saw a guy shooting an M1carbine with a scope. On the first stage the scope rattled loose and he finished the stage and match with just his front sight. It doesn't really matter the first couple matches until you find your ass and figure out the rules etc. Just go do one.

jwfuhrman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Decatur
    I like the find your ass and figure out the rules comment because that's the truth. I ran a 14.5in Midlength gas EOTech'd AR, a pump Winchester 1200, and a Glock 34 at my first 3gun, had a freakin blast and now I'm hooked like its a nasty mix crack, meth and heroin..... Can't get enough.

Top Bottom