• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which bolt-action rifle would you prefer?

• Total voters

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Kindof a fun-gun/SHTF sniper rifle. And of course, if I choose the .270, I'll use it to hunt coyotes too.

The 270 is not an ideal coyote rifle if you want to keep the fur, and if you don't any of the three are equally good.

I doubt you could tell a difference in the rounds by what they do to a coyote. A whitetail deer, either, for that matter.

You might notice a statistical difference on an elk, if you shot enough of them at longer ranges than 300 yards.

A lot of these discussions are angels on the head of a pin. The recoil of a 270 and 308 are near identical, and the 06 is just a little more.

As to flatness of trajectory, you're talking about 6 inches holdover at 300 yards as compared to 9 inches, and maybe three or four inches more or less at 400 yards.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    The 270 is not an ideal coyote rifle if you want to keep the fur, and if you don't any of the three are equally good.

I doubt you could tell a difference in the rounds by what they do to a coyote. A whitetail deer, either, for that matter.

You might notice a statistical difference on an elk, if you shot enough of them at longer ranges than 300 yards.

I had heard otherwise about the .270, but oh well. :dunno: That being the case, I probably will use any of them considering fur has hit the tank lately. I don't have any specific plans, this is just some speculation really.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I had heard otherwise about the .270, but oh well. :dunno: That being the case, I probably will use any of them considering fur has hit the tank lately. I don't have any specific plans, this is just some speculation really.

The 270 is a devastating round. Out here in the West, the old timers consider it to be the deadliest mule deer round that doesn't waste meat.

Have you considered the 243? I've got one coming in the mail and it seems to me that it's a fantastic combo of flat varmint round, small deer round, and long range ballistics. Combine that with the fact that there are ARs that will run it and it might be the best all around round there is.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Which do you prefer? I am wanting a high powered rifle when I get the $$. I looked at some ballistic charts, but I just want opinions of people who have shot them on a regular basis.

I have a 243 (Savage Predator), 270 (Ruger SS) and a 338 (Ruger SS), you're welcome to shoot any of them if you like.

243 for coyotes and pronghorns, 270 for whitetails and mulies, 338 for elk/moose/bear and whitetails in Canada.

Yes, you should have all three!!

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    .308 works well.....

....in AR- form. Plus, Raufoss API is available readily for .308, "...because bad people sometimes hide behind hard things." (I forget who has the sign-line, but I credit him.) Both my M1-A and DPMS are GTG at 900 yards, 10-in. groups, and I'm blind in one eye. I'm looking for a longer shooting-range. Pat

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    My choice is 30-06 all the way. More versatile, more power, velocity, and more case capacity for reloading. When reloading there are some loads out there where you can reach near 300 win mag power if you want to. 308 can't even come close. Or you can download it for lower recoil.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I have a 243 (Savage Predator), 270 (Ruger SS) and a 338 (Ruger SS), you're welcome to shoot any of them if you like.

243 for coyotes and pronghorns, 270 for whitetails and mulies, 338 for elk/moose/bear and whitetails in Canada.

Yes, you should have all three!!

I may take you up on that offer eventually, right now I'm so busy between work and school it's ridiculous. Thanks for the offer though. :cool:

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    The 270 is a devastating round. Out here in the West, the old timers consider it to be the deadliest mule deer round that doesn't waste meat.

Have you considered the 243? I've got one coming in the mail and it seems to me that it's a fantastic combo of flat varmint round, small deer round, and long range ballistics. Combine that with the fact that there are ARs that will run it and it might be the best all around round there is.

I had thought about that one too. I asked my dad about .243 and .270 and he acted like they weren't ideal because the ammo isn't as abundant. I said, well yeah that's why I stockpile. :D

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    If your considering .270, .30-06, and .308, then you should also look at the 7mm-08... the most versatile of the bunch, IMO.

The 7mm-08 is flat shooting and lower recoil like the .270, higher downrage energy past 300 yards than the .308, hard hitting, just as accurate as the .308, great bullet selection (140-150gr hunting bullets and 168gr match bullets) better sectional density than the .30 calibers with comparable bullet weights, what's not to like?

If I could only have one of the 3 you mentioned I would take the .30-06.

If I were going after big game then 7mm-08 or .30-06.

If it were shooting surplus ammo, then the .308 or .30-06.

For sheer long range accuracy the 7mm-08 or the .308.

I currently have a .30-06 and a .308. If I were a hunter out west I would have to get a 7mm-08. My .308 is a target rifle (heavy) and my .30-05 is a M1903 and will not get a scope.

GMack_1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Montgomery Co.
    Why Not All Three?

I see nothing wrong with any of the calibers mentioned. By the way, I'm the one who posted the ".308 Question"..., some of you replied and I must say..., Jeez..., you dudes are good.

Is there a rifle out there that would accept a simple barrel change? Depending on the situation..., I could swap between .270, to .308..., whatever.

We do it in the "hand-gun" business all the time. Just wondering here...

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    Well, you could get an encore rifle and get different barrels. That said, I think that all this boils down to the whole Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge debate. There is nothing "wrong" with any of the 3.
    Now.. as far as the flat shooting arguement goes, let me add something. My personal opinion is that sometimes we allow factory ammo to "lock" us into perceptions that aren't always 100% certain. For example, I am a 30-06 guy. I have used all 3 to take animals of various size and distance. All my animals were just as dead as the others. Why? I hit the critter where it mattered. Now - If I reload my 30-06 with 130 grain bullets, I have a really flat shooting rifle. Is it any flatter than a .270 or .308? I don't know - I just know it is.
    My sincere advice is to decide what your maximum likely game animal is going to be. If you are even thinking elk, go with the 30-06. If not, any of the 3 will do. Any worry or question you have about what to use evaporates after the first 500 rounds that you shoot through your rifle. By then, you pretty much have it all figured out and the exact cartridge is irrelevent. Just buy a reloading set with the rifle and don't look back.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I voted .30-06 as I own one. I went out looking for a .308... I was thinking Rem 700 in some varient. A Wally Mart in Louisville had .30-06 Weatherby Vanguard on sale for $369, so I bought it. :D Shortly thereafter, I discovered that CMP (CMP Sales) sold surplus ammo for $65/240 rounds (they're sold out right now, but more is on the way!). I'm glad I went .30-06!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    What kind of ammo do you recommend for 06 on deer? I have am going out of state this year where I can us 06 and am exploring options. I would guess soft nose or hollow point but... :)

The 150 SP will work well. The 165 is the all around good performer.

BTW, I own all three calibers. The 30.06 is far more versatile as far as bullet weight than the other two. If forced to just have one, it would be the 30.06 for me.

Top Bottom