• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which bolt-action rifle would you prefer?

• Total voters

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Which do you prefer? I am wanting a high powered rifle when I get the $$. I looked at some ballistic charts, but I just want opinions of people who have shot them on a regular basis.

Indysioux

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Carmel IN
    I voted .308. I've shot multiple .308's and 30-06 rifles. The 30-06's recoil is a little too harsh for me, while I don't mind the .308.

I've never shot a .270.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I've never really been able to see what a .270 will do that a .30-06 will not do. Or a .308 for that matter. Maybe the trajectory will be a fraction flatter with a .270, but if that makes the difference on a shot, it was probably too far to begin with.

On 30-06 vs 308...
    The rifle you have in mind may decide that for you. If it is available in one caliber and not the other, the choice is obvious, but if available in both you have some details to look at and things to consider.

Will you ever go after anything very big? Because if you would ever go after anything where a bullet heavier than 180 grains would be a good choice, the .30-06 has the edge. Up to that point, there is usually little difference with most ammo, but the 30-06 pulls away there.

Do you, or will you, reload? I think .308 brass is a little easier to find. You also usually use less powder loading it and it's enough to add up and give you a few more shots per pound of powder.

Is rifle size and weight important? Some people make a big deal out of the .308 allowing the use of a short action, but will that little bit less steel make a difference to you? To me, it depends on the rifle and action. On a rifle with a blocky, heavy action and a long fairly heavy contour barrel, trimming a half inch of action out still won't make it light, so it doesn't matter so much to me.
    I see the bigger plus to a short action being the slightly shorter bolt throw. It may or may not prevent a short-stroke sometime, and it might keep the bolt from whacking your shooting glasses or nose each time you run the bolt.

I've never been able to tell the difference in recoil between a .30-06 and .308, assuming everything equal (bullet weight, velocity, rifle weight). I shoot Garands a lot, and the two I use most are a .308 and a .30-06, but I can't tell the difference. I feel a bigger difference when shooting the same caliber in two different model rifles due to the stock shape differences, weight, etc.
    Naturally if the .30-06 and .308s being compared were Daisy Red Ryder weight, I bet we'd all feel the difference.

Then there is Col Townsend Whelen's quote that I love:
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake."

Last edited:

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    If you are going to hunt everything on the North American continent I would go with the 30-06.

If you are going to keep to anything nothing larger then a large goat then I would take the .270

If you want a short action, go with .308

Personally I would take the .270 because I don't go after the larger game anymore.

farmboy365

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   1
    Dec 22, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I voted 308 because that is the next cal I will buy it is more modern than 30-06 and bigger than 270 that said I have a 30-06 that is fun to shoot and a 270 that drives tacs so it is all up to you to get what you want.
    I do like how flat a 270 shoots it is the most forgiving of the 3.:twocents:

rex soldier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Valley of Dry Bones
    i'd go with the .308 / 7.62x51 .
    it's cheap (ammo bulk ) , it's good easily up to 1,000 meter's , enough stopping power for just about any thing , recoil is easy ( depends on the rifle really ).

it's really up too you tho in the end .

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    You can always get recoil reduction amo or use the lighter load recomendations when reloading for the '06 if you decide you really wanted something with less power like a 308. Load smaller lighter bullets in the range of the 270 if that's the way you want to go.

But a 270 will never handle the heavy weight bullets an '06 will, nor will a 308 ever match the 30-06 velocity in equal weight bullets. Any bullet available for a 308 can be pushed faster, further, harder from a 30-06.

bigdaddy1427

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    .308. The variety of ammo is unsurpassed. Also, most of the actions for a .308 are shorter, more rigid, which means more accuracy if that is what you are looking for.
    The .270's and 30-06's require a long action rifle.

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I like the versatility of the 270....you can load from 55 grain all the way up to 185 grain...long actions yes but in a good rifle they are very accurate and except bears they can take any game in north America. Lots of ammo options...ground hogs to elk...the 270 can do it all and probably the easiest to shoot of the three options....:twocents:

If icould only pick 1, I would choose the 300 Win Mag...even though it was not one of the options:patriot:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    . . . I am wanting a high powered rifle when I get the $$. . . .

For what purpose?

They're all decent cartridges. The 30-06 is the most versatile of the three, and if I could have only one for the rest of my life, that would be it.

But, the .270 shoots flatter and is arguably better for certain applications.

The .308 runs out of a shorter action and has some military compatability.

So, what's the primary purpose?

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    I voted 30-06 because im too poor to buy a 308 right now, and I love my 30-06.

But buy a 308, cheaper ammo, better selection of specialty ammo.

But I love my 30-06, its just a PITA to pay $1 a shot and im not set up to load it yet. BTW: those 32acp conversion things are amazing, its like shooting a 30cal airrifle.

hunter46140

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I was really looking at the remington vtr. It is only made in 223 and 308. I had $ in the hand and like you I started asking ?'s. I heard over and over again that the 06 is the more versatile round but the 308 aint a bad round either. So I mumbled and grumbled and started looking at ballistics. I found a round hornady makes that i was impressed with and then compared the same grain and bullet in the 308. Hands down the 06 whooped it. So I bought the remington 06 and a nice leou to go on top and bought the rounds. I must say WOW!! Love the gun. If u dont mind the recoil go 06 all the way!!!

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    It's hard to beat the versatility of the 30-06, especially if one reloads. I have both 308 and 30-06 and prefer the latter as a hunting rifle.

Steve

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Like all such questions, it depends on what you want it for.

I live out here in Colorado, and if you want a gun specifically for mule deer, the 270 and mule deer go together like peas and carrots.

The 30 06 is perhaps the best all around big game rifle. Great for people who only want one gun. Recoil is stiffer than the other two.

The 308 is a great SHTF caliber because of ammo availability.

All three will take any big game North America if you respect their ideal ranges.

I live in Colorado, and when I was a kid, the 270 was the choice of the best hunters. The 30 06 was the choice of most people, and the 308 was relatively unheard of.

I choose to have a 270, and I will buy a 300 win mag if I decide to hunt a lot of elk at longer ranges.

IMO, though, the best all around gun is the 7mm mag.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    So basically what I'm getting is that the .270 is the flattest shooter and lightest recoil, .308 is most available, and 30-06 is the most powerful? That's kindof the gist I got from my research prior to this post at least...

Top Bottom