25 years ago today the Challenger exploded do you remember where you were?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I was stayed home from work that day. I had the flu and was on the couch watching the telecast of the launch. There was so much anticipation and excitement that the first teacher was going into space. It was a very sad day.

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I was in 2nd grade and I remember the teachers were so excited. They combined both 2nd grade classes. Then rolled the TV in and made sure we were all quiet during lift off. Then I remember I couldn't understand why they were all crying

YouTube - Challenger Disaster Live on CNN

^^^^Exactly the same scenario for me. Only I was talking to my friends too much, missed the whole thing. Looked up, teacher was crying and the t.v. was rolling out. I remember thinking, but, we didn't even get to see the spaceship launch! Wow, how things are different when your 7.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    I was sitting in the back of a C-5A at Dover AFB getting ready to take off for a short deployment to the Air National Guard Base in Louisville KY. We were held for about an hour before we could take off. It seems like it was yesterday...

f'nstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    i was like 5 but i remember it plain as day i was at home with my mom and we watched it tagather. Kinda like the trade towers getting hit she and i watched that as it happened to. sorry its off topic but that is another thing i will never forget

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I was in the first grade but don't remember if they told us at school. I do recall being at home and seeing it on tv later that day.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I was watching the launch on TV at our base in Morgan City, LA. Couldn't believe it when we saw the explosion. Like many others, I wondered what had happened and if anyone had survived. A half our later, I was out flying in the Gulf of Mexico and heard the first Challenger disaster joke over the local traffic radio.

I was attending a military course when the Columbia broke up on reentry. Indiana-1 US&R TF provided searchers for the wreckage, but I couldn't go.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    3rd grade and watched it intensely! I remeber asking the teachers when were the boats gonna pick the astronauts out of the capsule that floats like a boat!

Top Bottom