.25 auto carry pistol.....better than nothing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    In that case, I'd treat it as an heirloom, take care of it, and maybe shoot it on special occasions so my kids could inherit grandpa's gun some day, especially since it sounds like it's in such nice condition.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    A 25 is better than nothing. Chances are when/if you shoot some one with a 25 and its not a fatal shot, they're going to think twice about continuing the attack.
    People always ask me why I CC a 380. They say 22, 25, 32, and 380's are only going make someone mad if you shoot them with it and won't do hardly any damage. Yet, when I ask if I can shoot them to see what the effect is, they never let me.

Kmann

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Denver,IN
    Thanks for all the interesting responses. I'll probably just go with my gut and get either a glock 22 or the new xdm 40. had a glock23 years ago and it was just too small a grip for my hand. The slide always seemed to hit the webbing between my thumb and index finger when doing speed drills from a concealed holster.

Kmann

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Denver,IN
    In that case, I'd treat it as an heirloom, take care of it, and maybe shoot it on special occasions so my kids could inherit grandpa's gun some day, especially since it sounds like it's in such nice condition.
    I will of course keep the colt. I would never dream of selling it.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I Have Your Answer!

I have applied mathematics to your question and have found the perfect answer.

The average .25 ACP cartridge has a muzzle energy of 64.93 ft/lbs.

Let's say that your firearm is a .25 sub-compact pistol. The average weight of this class of pistol is 13.57 oz. empty, which is to say it weighs 5,936.88 grains. If you could throw it at 75 mph, which is far slower than Major League baseball pitchers throw a fast ball, that velocity works out to be 110 fps, and will yield 160.35 ft/lbs of energy on your target.

This tells us that you will have a much higher energy on target if you just become more proficient in throwing your empty .25 caliber handgun. (Please be sure to remove the ammunition from the handgun before throwing to avoid an accidental discharge... Safety first.)

.25 ACP Cartridge
    Projectile weight - 45 gr
    Projectile velocity - 804 fps
    Projectile energy - 64.93 ft/lbs

Thrown Handgun
    Projectile weight - 5,936.88 gr
    Projectile velocity - 110 fps
    Projectile energy - 160.35 ft/lbs

Behold The Power of Mathematics!

Check it out for yourself: http://www.classifiercalc.com/misc_calcs/me.php

Safety Notice - Whether it is shot or thrown, you can still put an eye out with a .25 caliber handgun!

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I Have Your Answer!

I have applied mathematics to your question and have found the perfect answer.

The average .25 ACP cartridge has a muzzle energy of 64.93 ft/lbs.

Let's say that your firearm is a .25 sub-compact pistol. The average weight of this class of pistol is 13.57 oz. empty, which is to say it weighs 5,936.88 grains. If you could throw it at 75 mph, which is far slower than a Major League baseball pitchers throw a fast ball, that velocity works out to be 110 fps, and will yield 160.35 ft/lbs of energy on your target.

This tells us that you will have a much higher energy on target if you just become more proficient in throwing your empty .25 caliber handgun. (Please be sure to remove the ammunition from the handgun before throwing to avoid an accidental discharge... Safety first.)

.25 ACP Cartridge
    Projectile weight - 45 gr
    Projectile velocity - 804 fps
    Projectile energy - 64.93 ft/lbs

Thrown Handgun
    Projectile weight - 5,936.88 gr
    Projectile velocity - 110 fps
    Projectile energy - 160.35 ft/lbs

Behold The Power of Mathematics!

Check it out for yourself: http://www.classifiercalc.com/misc_calcs/me.php

Safety Notice - Whether it is shot or thrown, you can still put an eye out with a .25 caliber handgun!

With information listed above, I would suggest that you carry a rock!!! Definitely keep the .25 as a family heirloom, it'll retain value for you as a memory...and you'll be safer. :cool: :twocents:

If it doesn't say ".357" on it, I don't carry it. Everyone has their personal preference, mine is a .357! I know it only goes bang five (5) times, but it strikes exactly where I'm pointing it. If I need more than five (5) shots, I need a hole in the ground. Thank goodness Sig Sauer helped develop the .357SIG...now I have an automatic that says ".357" on it. End of story! :D

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Sounds like my little .22 auto might be a more effective choice given the opinions stated in many responses though.:dunno:

NO!

If you are going to use a rimfire for self defense, get a double action revolver. And furthermore it should be a .22 Magnum.

Ammunition failure (failure to feed, failure to fire, failure to extract, failure to eject) are far too common in semi-auto .22's especially the ones sized for carry. I simply can't recommend it.

It's arguable as to which round is "better", .22LR or .25ACP for self defense (I would take the .25ACP). But when you can get a Kel-Tec P-32 or P-3AT, Bersa Thunder .380 for $250 or less, then it really becomes difficult to recommend a .22 or .25 at all. Also consider that a P-11 or PF-9 can be had for $300 or less.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Steve44
    Top Bottom