• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Okay guys, I'm looking at getting a cheap plinking toy that can reach out for a little ways. I would be shooting it primarily out at Atterbury and need some opinions. I have it narrowed down to the Remington 597, Crickett 22, or Savage 64. I would like to keep it under $200, so the question is does anyone have any experience with any of these? All input is welcome.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    My good friend has/had the Savage 64 FXP. We really liked shooting it at cans, and stuff like that. He took it squirrel hunting a couple of times at his dads land, and he did very well with it. When I shot it I liked it, felt good in the hands, and on the shoulder. Not too heavy IMHO. Good gun, however I don't have any shooting experience with the other two. I did play with the Crickett .22, and thought it felt too "toyish" for me.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Okay guys, I'm looking at getting a cheap plinking toy that can reach out for a little ways. I would be shooting it primarily out at Atterbury and need some opinions. I have it narrowed down to the Remington 597, Crickett 22, or Savage 64. I would like to keep it under $200, so the question is does anyone have any experience with any of these? All input is welcome.

Just FYI Dunhams had the savage on sale with a free scope included for like $129 this week. Not sure when the sale ends

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I've had the Savage and the Remington and while both were good guns the Remington was the most accurate of the two. Remington also seems to hold it's value more and has a 30 round mag (that works) available for around $20. A marlin model 60 or 795 would be hard to beat also.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Keep an eye out at the local gun shops. This past year, I have found two different used 22's with scopes for $100 or so and they fit the bill perfectly. Some of them will actually contact you when they take one in on trade if they know you are looking.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Okay guys, I'm looking at getting a cheap plinking toy that can reach out for a little ways.

Well, what's it gonna be, pardner? 'Cause iff'n you get a cheap plinkin' toy, it ain't gonna reach out too far. An' iff'n you get a rifle that will reach out a little ways, it ain't gonna be a cheap toy.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Well, what's it gonna be, pardner? 'Cause iff'n you get a cheap plinkin' toy, it ain't gonna reach out too far. An' iff'n you get a rifle that will reach out a little ways, it ain't gonna be a cheap toy.

Nah, 100yds is a little ways (I know several people who have never really got a chance to shoot past 50yds, not everyone considers 200yds everyday shooting), and a good .22 can do that accuratly all day long...and cheaply. I for one have yet to shoot past 500yds but a distance gun is gonna be my next project gun. Currently I'm building a 10/22 that should be a nice little nail driver and I'd like to reach 150-200yds with it just to see what it's capable of (and it should be considering the cost at this point, lol).

jontz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    I could spit into Michigan
    Some more love for the Marlin 795 here. It is well built, accurate, and can be found for under $120 if you are patient. I bought mine on sale for $119, and I have talked to others who got them as low as $105. For the money they are hard to beat and out of the box have a much better trigger than the 10/22.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Well last weekend I got a message from someone on here saying he had a Remington 597 with scope for a fair price. He got rid of it because he went with a different .22 for a project. I paid $185 and he says it's had maybe 10 rounds through it. So here it is.

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq165/stv_lo/temporary.jpg

Sorry I just realized I can't post pictures from my phone. Can someone fix it for me?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The old model 60 marlins with the long barrels will help a bit at long range and help if you dont use a scope. More accruate than they should be and available at 100 dollars if you look around.

I think the new model 60 have a shorter barrel and you will get some guys who say that and ww with a barrel over 16 inches is to long.

ajanes10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    I sell all three of those and I personally like the Savage. I would go with it especially if you dont want to "trick" out the gun or add a crazy magazine. If you can tho I agree with the above statements and say go with the 10/22. Save a little money and you definately wont be sorry. Neither will your grandchildren you give it too.

BoomstickBuff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Noblesville
    Some more love for the Marlin 795 here. It is well built, accurate, and can be found for under $120 if you are patient. I bought mine on sale for $119, and I have talked to others who got them as low as $105. For the money they are hard to beat and out of the box have a much better trigger than the 10/22.

^^^ this. I have one too ... love it. Got it for $100 (after rebate from Marlin) - good deal on a well made gun. It's accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. I'd strongly recommend you take a serious look at the 795.

Only downside is that you won't have nearly as many accessories for it as something like a 10/22...

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Here you go stephen87. I edited out your toes. :D

stephenyz.jpg

Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    I vote the Rem.. My brother and I both have this rifle and love them. We can sit and plink empty shotgun hulls at 75yrds (with factory scope) without a problem. I use mine for squirrel hunting also and has never let me down. Been a good rifle.

Top Bottom