• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Back in my college days, I had a 22 pocket pistol.
    I think it was an AMT but it's been a while ago and I am not sure.
    Anyway, I am thinking I would like to do something like that again.
    Don't lecture me on it not being a good self defense round bla bla bla.
    This would be purely for fun.

I don't follow your line of thinking here. Where does the "FUN" come in, in carrying a concealed weapon for the purpose of protecting ones life or the lives of loved ones. Please explain this to me?

Edit: You aren't looking to carry this are you? Just for like plinking and such right??

Last edited:

Bryanearl

Plinker
    Rating - 57.1%
    4   3   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Rosedale, Indiana
    A description of a round is typically based on the diameter of the bullet itself.

.22 and .22 LR are generally used to mean the same thing, a rim fire shell that has a .22 diameter bullet that is usually around 40 grains.

.223 is a round that is shot out of the AR-15 and M-16/M-4. This is a MUCH more powerful round than a .22 LR, and only shares close size in bullet diameter.

To make it even more confusing, some bullets don't have the diameter that they are named. Like .44 Magnum that is around .429 to .432 diameter.

Or the .357 Magnum and the .38 that are the same diameter.

Thanks a bunch on the info. Another question that has been haunting me is why so many AR and other auto's in .22lr? Seems odd to have such a powerful weapon throwing out a large amount of rounds but choosing a.22 as your choice.

Is it for learning the weapon or just cheaper target practice per round?

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Just a little more information...
    The reason I said 22LR instead of just 22 is because the .22 rimfire comes in 3 sizes.
    Ken%27s_bullets.jpg

There are pistols made to shoot the 22 short, but I was specifically looking for one that would fire the long rifle.

I think people do buy the .22 rimfire AR's just for cheap practice.

You aren't looking to carry this are you? Just for like plinking and such right??
    Right, If I need to carry something pocket sized for defense, I will use my P3AT. (If I can't fit the Kimber compact in somewhere)
    But even though it is just for fun, I want it to be pocket sized.
    Think of it as a "back up plinker" ;)

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    NAA revolver,
    -reliable
    -good warranty
    -discreet

One could argue that a 22 does not make a good carry gun, but I don't think anyone wants 5 rounds of 22lr poked up their nose!

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    Surprised i haven't seen any mention of a Jennings J22. Sure it's old, and not the best, but any gun is better than no gun.
    *I* wasn't going to be the one to put it out there. But I also have one. It isn't accurate, at least in my hands. But up close a personal, it doesn't have to be.

paulgl26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    MOKENA
    NAA revolver,
    -reliable
    -good warranty
    -discreet

One could argue that a 22 does not make a good carry gun, but I don't think anyone wants 5 rounds of 22lr poked up their nose!

+1 on the naa
    i have a 22lr and a pug with both cylinders
    i carry the pug 24/7 in my pocket
    this are the only 22 guns that i never had problems with

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Iver Johnson copy of the Walther TPH

I have an Iver Johnson TP22, great little peashooter, a little large for a pocket gun but fits. It is not finikey with ammo brands but must be clean for reliable function.

When I feel like something small for a short hike, I carry it with a snake shot in the chamber and regular rounds in the magazine. I dont trust it to feed the shot shells from the magazine.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I own most of what has been mentioned here. I have found them all to be reliable....so far. So here are my :twocents:
    Taurus PT 22 shoots fine, reloading fast is an issue for me
    Taurus PT25 shoots fine, reloading fast is an issue for me
    Taurus 941 nice shooter to big to carry.
    Phoenix HP22 shoot fine, I do not like the mag safety
    Jennings J-22 not as accurate as the rest, but is good enough.
    Walther P22- Great shooter, to big for a pocket gun
    Naa 22LR folder, decent firearm, I have not got used too the "folding" mechanism.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    A little big for a pocket gun, but the best small .22 (that I've shot) is the Beretta 87 Cheetah. A little pricey at $600+, but one gun I will never sell. Lots of fun.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I bought my first Beretta m21 in 22LR in 1990. I just bought a second a while ago here for $200.00. Any 22lr I put in has functioned fine in both guns and you can load birdshot or cb caps individually in the tip up barrel. Can't say enough.

Hold out for the M21.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I have a Phoenix 22 and it has been a fantastic gun. No malfs what so ever in about 1,000 rnds. If you ever wear one out send it back and you get a new one, can't beat that! I know a guy who has a Taurus PT22, bought it new. He had to send it back after about 400rnds, numerous probs, light strikes, FTE, FTF etc. He got it back and it works better but still not 100%. He also bought a used Phoenix HP22 and he likes it much better than the Taurus.

popeye

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Deepest, darkest, Indiana
    Keep in mind: There's no extractor on a tip up barrel Beretta. They use spent gas to blow the spent case out. When you want to unload it, hold your hand over the barrel and keep it from flipping the cartridge across the room. Dump the bullet out and remove the mag.. If you use the standard procedure to clear the gun, and pull the slide back the bullet will stay chambered as there's no extractor. I believe 950b was only made in .22 short and .25.

dweezil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Fishers
    I've got both a Taurus PT-22 and a NAA mini.

The PT-22 has been reliable for me with Mini Mag, and Federal bulk. If you look at one of these, stay away from the plastic grips - mine cracked after around 400 rounds and that seems to be a common complaint on the Taurus message board.

I really like the mini - very challenging and fun to shoot.

Top Bottom