• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dudley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    Lafayette
    I have a Ruger SR22 and have not one complaint. I have shot everything from OLD bulk to new CCI and have not had one problem. I cleand it after about 2,500 rounds and have another 2,500 through it. Take down is very easy. I got it for my wife to learn on but seem to take it with me every time I go out to our land just to plink with.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I learned how to tear down/assemble the Ruger MK as a kid.
    Takes a couple of tries and you're a pro.

Don't sweat it.

This^^^, Ruger MK guns aren't nearly as difficult to reassemble as one might believe, they eat anything ( at least any one I've had ) and no Zamac! Mags are cheap MEC-GAR RUGER MAGAZINES : Greg Cote, LLC
    and freely available. The guns are durable and no more expensive than the current crop of Zamac wonder plinkers.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Not as popular an option as some lusted but I really like the S&W 2213 (and 2214). I think they quit making them a few yrs back but they can be had pretty cheap sometimes. I bought a 2213 (stainless finish) and liked it enough I bought a 2214 (black finish). Both have always been very reliable and easy to shoot. The next one I see at a decent price my mom says she wants to buy. I took her out shooting a few yrs back and she fell in love with it. It suppresses nicely too. The barrel is very low in the slide, allowing use of the sights even with a decent size suppressor, unlike some options. Only downfall to me is it has a magazine safety! Damn lawyers...
    I can't say too much poorly about the Walter P22 either. Functions well and breaks down easy. It functions well suppressed as well if you ever decide to go that route.. good luck!!

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    If you like the 1911 platform you can't go wrong with either the GSG 1911-22 or the Sig 1911-22. They are basically the same gun with different roll marking. The Sig is a little more expensive and comes in a couple different colors. The Colt 1911-22's are also nice. They are made by Walther and a little more money than the other ones I mentioned. I've run thousands of rounds through my Sig with very few malfunctions. Most I can attribute to ammunition inconsistencies. There are several modifications you can do to the GSG and Sig which will increase dependability and improve accuracy. I have not shot my Colt Gold Cup nearly as much but so far it has been very reliable and accurate as well.

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    I'll give another plug for the Browning Buckmark - I have 3 of varying vintages. I also have a Ruger Single Six, but not sure I would recommend that for a first .22 pistol. I like it because I have both the .22 and .22 Mag cylinders. The .22 Mag with shotshells does quick work on copperheads around my house! The single action design does take longer to load and reload. It is a great gun to teach kids to shoot, as it is basically a single shot pistol.

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    S&W just sent me the new M&P 22C. Unlike the previous made M&P 22 full by Umarex this one is 100% US MADE

I took it out last Friday, Shot, CCI, REM THUNDER, AGURILA SSS

Everything ran perfect, no hiccups all flawless. I used to own a S&W 22 stainless heavy and 22A in 8 inch.
    "S&W NO LONGER SUPPORTS WARRANTY ON 22a, 22S SERIES"

The new M&P is a fun 22 plinker but certainly NO target pistol, short sight radius, no top weaver rail, everything's identical to the M&P 9MM.

If your wife is contemplating on an m&p this would be the perfect fit from transitioning from 22lr to 9mm etc.
    091214_D7C_2343.jpg
    Agree with most everything here. I use the M&P 22LR as the first pistol as instructor in the Women's Only training class and the transition to 9 MM is effortless. Great training gun, as well as decent accuracy. (hey, it could be MY AIM, not the gun !)

Pricing is very competitive, fun to shoot, and easy transition... Best part is, I have never had a failure to feed or a stovepipe in the last couple thousand rounds, but you DO need to make sure the mag is fully seated... I have had a couple of those happen when getting in too much of a hurry..

It would be nice to have a top rail, but hey none of the others do either. (shield, .40 etc)

MordecuS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Mooresville
    Buckmarks are a great pistol, don't let the break down scare you. They're not delicate guns. It took 15,000 rounds before mine had so much crud in it that it wouldn't work.

Buckmarks are easy to take apart, plus the mag disconnect is a lot easier to take out than the Mark 3 Rugers

Exactly what M67 said. I got my father a Buckmark for christmas when I was in high school. Last summer, 16 years after it's purchase, I cleaned it for him for the first time (assuming he had been cleaning it himself). Still shot like new but definitely was happier when the carbon was removed.

The Buckmark is a beautiful and reliable .22 pistol. The Mark III with the Luger grip is pretty damn awesome as well.

Last edited:

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I have the ruger 22/45 and love it likes the hotter rounds but I have to say I also have the M&P 22 and it feeds everything and is a blast to shoot when I can get it from my wife she loves it also and it is a good gun to train on

Bearclaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Anderson
    I'm really happy with my Ruger SR22. It will shoot any kind of bullet. Just got a couple of mag extensions that make it hold 15 rounds.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I like the Rugers, Buckmark, S&W M&P22 I also have a Sig Mosquito and a WaltherP22. The Sig and Walther are pretty picky on ammo the Rugers and S&W eat anything.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I have the Ruger Mark III Lite....BUY ONE AND DONT LOOK BACK....except you will want to get rid of the annoying magazine disconnector which is very easy. (Youtube video on how to) and its under $15 for the part.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    Can't say enough good things about my Ruger Mark III Hunter. Somewhere around 15k rounds through it. Replaced the slide release after it wore out due to me thumbing it down vs. "slingshotting" it.

Like any .22, it likes some ammo better than others. Very few if any failures with good ammo, a few dud rounds and failure to ejects with cheaper junk stuff.

This. Awesome gun. As for the takedown, clean guns when they need it. I've had my MkIII Hunter for years and have yet to tear it down. I don't need to in order to lube it and the vast majority of people clean .22s way more than they need it. I competed successfully with an Anschutz target rifle for 4 years in college and never cleaned the thing.

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Honestly, there are so many good options, it would be HARD to go wrong. Go find what fits you best.

That being said, I have a Ruger 22/45, and it is one of my favorites. As you can see, Ruger seems to be the favorite in this thread, and for good reason. You can't go wrong whether you go with one of the Mark pistols, 22/45, or even the SR22. I don't have much experience with many others, but I think the SR22 and Walther P22 are a bit too small for me. I like the weight, feel, and accuracy of the 22/45.

Take down sucks the first few times, but after that, it's pretty easy. I enjoy a challenge, so it wasn't really a negative to me.

Last edited:

Indy 1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have several. I thought it would be good to buy several because 22LR ammo is so easy to find these days. LOL. All are good for newbies. I got all new for $300 or less

Sig Mosquito -- Maybe to large if she has smallish hands, and mine will only cycle CCI mini mags consistantly - Mags are outrageos.
    Ruger SR 22 -- Very cool and small -- Shoot just about any ammo
    Ruger Mark III -- Very cool. -- Very accurate -- Takes a while to get good at take down and reassembly
    Beretta Neos -- Very easy to take down and clean -- Shoots any ammo I have tried

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I also am a fan of the MKII and MKIII. I have heard great things about several of the pistols mentioned. Probably you should get the one that feels right in the hand. I am really fond of the High Standard. It's just cool.

1370209353_zpse33f151b.jpg

bikeman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Bloomington
    I also like the Ruger SR 22 for the fun factor. I have several 22s (mk II, Buckmark, ChallengerII, S&W 41, GSG 1911) and they are all good guns but you get a lot of bang for the buck in SR 22. It's light weight, you can adjust the grip size, you can get a threaded barrel if you want, it eats any ammo and it's not very expensive. It is a great gun for new shooters or just plinking.

Top Bottom