• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NumberCruncher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Hamilton Co
    Is the .22LR ammo good for anything other than target practice? Seems like a lot of low priced guns use this ammo. And the ammo seems cheap. I think it'd be fun to have a Henry Repeater or I've seen an AK copy that fires this ammo, but would they be able to do anything other than pop holes in paper and squirrels?

I guess the point is, would they kill zombies? You know, if it comes to that.

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    If you are being attacked, it is a heck of a lot more effective than fighting back with a pen from your pocket or a pocket knife... just saying...
    Other than that... plinker....

Not too ZOMBIE effective....

CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Don't underestimate the .22LR. While being diminutive in size compared to other calibers, a .22 LR will do some damage if put in the right place. It is also an excellent round to practice, hunt varmits and squirrels, and HD - if absolutely needed. It is the most popular caliber and I believe, kills more people than any other.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I guess the point is, would they kill zombies? You know, if it comes to that.

I guess that depends on what zombies you're talking about. If you talking about the slow moving mindless variety ala Walking Dead and Night of the Living Dead then 22lr would be an excellent choice. Light weight and negligible recoil means you can carry a ton and followup shots are quick. And since you have to score a headshot to put one down anyway a 22lr is more than adequate. Rick and the gang might have held the farm if they had a few 22s with large magazines at the ready.

NumberCruncher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Hamilton Co
    That is EXACTLY what I was asking. :-)

I'm too fat and old to hold my own against a fast moving zombie, but still head shots win every time, right? More ammo, less recoil, and lighter weight. Hmm....sounds like a winner!!

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    A good Ruger 10/22 with 25 round mags can lay down a formidable line of fire power as a barrier. Only a fool would say "hey, it's just a .22" and then run headlong into the oncoming lead. My opinion if it goes bang it works. I carry a Beretta Bobcat .22 loaded with CCI mini mags in my pocket. Good enough to make someone think about the consequences of their actions and take it somewhere else. But then again I have never been in a situation where I even thought I needed to pull the gun on someone. All bolils down to personal preference and the circles you travel in. Home defense is another thing, keep it big and handy. You do not have to lug it around with you and have the weight of the gun always pulling your pants down.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The best way to think of guns or cartridges is to analogize them to hand tools or golf clubs.

What is the "best" hand tool? Well, it depends on what you want to do, drive a nail or saw a board, right?

Think of cartridges this way. A cartridge has a certain job(s) assigned to it.

What do you want to do? Shoot a squirrel or pest? Go on an inexpensive range trip? Teach a new shooter? If so, look at a .22lr.

Remember, as with guns, each cartridge has its pros and its cons.

A .22lr may be cheaper, handier, etc. but as a rimfire it is not as reliable (very big in self defense) or as powerful as a centerfire cartridge.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I agree with most of the posters above, I used a 22 LR to hunt with when I was young. I have taken many squirrel with one. A Game Warden friend of mine told me many deer were poached with 22LR. Probably a lot of wounded deer escaped however. 22's have killed many people. I would not recommend it as a home defense weapon as it certainly does not have the "quick" stopping power of a large center fire cartridge. Yes. a large percentage of people will die if hit with a few rounds of 22LR, but the problem is they will die later - possibly several hours or days (even with treatment it is one of the most fatal rounds used as it fragments and causes a lot of organ damage and internal bleeding), this means they MAY still injure or kill you or your family after being wounded (probably most would run for the hills). That said they are a good gun to practice with as they have no "kick", and the ammo is pretty cheap. If you are wanting a home defense weapon, I would add (not get rid of the 22) a shotgun or large caliber handgun. (I favor a 45 ACP - but many like 9mm and .357 etc.)

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    The real problem, even with slow moving zombies, is that maybe it would take more than one head shot from a 22LR to bring them down. These problems are magnified immensely when you consider the attacker would likely not be a zombie (i.e. a head shot might not even be possible).

First, there is a much higher likelihood of ricochet off the thick, rounded skull due to the light weight of the bullet.

Next, even a direct hit to the head without ricochet doesn't guarantee a dead zombie--although it will certainly make them more retarded ; )--again, this is because of the small mass of the bullet.

Lastly, range is less than half that of a center fire rifle, and while you can surely hit targets outside of 100 yards or so, the penetration will likely be insignificant. Wind will also affect the lighter bullet far more than a heavier one.

Yes, you can buy hyper velocity ammo, and hollow points etc. to make up for these limitations somewhat, but the mass of the bullet will always be a limiting factor with 22LR. I'd still choose the 22LR against zombies though, just because I can carry 10x the ammo. Honestly, 22WMR would be more ideal, but I can't afford to buy 500 rounds of ammo for it!

NumberCruncher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Hamilton Co
    Well, being a noob anyway, I may lean toward a 22LR first. While I say I want a gun for self defense, the likelihood of a home invasion in my area is pretty slim. So the truth is I just want an excuse to buy a gun and go target shooting. I don't hunt and I live in the suburbs so my varmint problem is no problem at all (although my Jack Russell thinks the squirrels are evil). So I really don't NEED a gun. BUT, I want to have one before the losers in Washington decide we can't have them anymore.

There are a number of guns I would love to have eventually, but maybe a 22 is a cheap and easy way to start.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Look at an S&W M&P 22 or a Sig Mosquito if you like autos or one of the Ruger MK I, II, III's. If you want a revolver, try a Ruger Single Six, a S&W, or maybe a Taurus.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    The .22LR is of course more effective against zombies if it is allowed achieve its full design velocity in an appropriate length barrel; so I'd call a .22LR rifle potentially more effective than a .22LR pistol against zombies. But it's possible that a low velocity .22LR at contact range may go through one side of the skull, then rattle around inside the brain pan making scrambled eggs of a zombie brain; so it's got that going for it.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    22's are great. They are very cheap to shoot and quiet. The average person can shoot a 22 better than bigger caliber because of the noise and recoil plus the follow up shots are quicker. Im not afraid to carry a 22 for self defense. Is it the perfect caliber? No. It can kill about anything in north america with good shot placement. If i was to be dropped of in the wilderness to survive on my own and could only have one gun i would pick
    A good short 22lr rifle probably bolt action or lever action. Like a cz452 scout or marlin/browning lever action. Most of us grew up or started out shooting a 22lr. Im sure ive shot 10x more 22lr bulletts than any other calibers combined.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

BigWagon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Greentown
    If it is your first gun, a 22LR is a great place to start. Fun, cheap to shoot, and would work better than your fists for home protection. Not the most deadly round but it will get the job done in a pinch.

Top Bottom