• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2 151 INF

Shooter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    South Bend
    I feel you. I went to a gun store north of South Bend. They had the bigger Winchester white boxes. I can't remember how many rounds, something along 333 or so. I picked up a box, 20 dollars. I was pumped until I went to pay and it was the day my debit card expired. I didn't have any cash. I was pissed. My 10/22 is a blast to shoot with all those sweet bx25 mags. No ammo though.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Carful. You might get chastized like I did for pointing out the obvious. ;)

Nah, I was criticizing the giant, useless macro. You're totally right that an ammo shortage is old news. I ended up buying M-22 from Cabela's out of desperation. :(

The Wamp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Martinsville
    The LGS bought 5k thunderbolts from a local for 4.50/box. They sell for 4.75 no tax. 1 box limit... Desperate locals can have a few rounds.

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    My wife, daughter and I use to really enjoy range days plinking with the .22's. I've got maybe 700 rounds and really want to put my daughter in an Appleseed event. I know the Appleseed event would be a great way to use the rounds I have, but I'm still hesitant. The nice thing my daughter, 16, understands the situation. Never thought I'd see the day when people might fight over .22lr like it was the last Cabbage Patch Kid on the shelves in the 80's.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    From Palmetto State Armory's website:

CCI Standard CCI Standard Velocity .22 LR 50rds 0035

CCI Velocitor CCI .22 LR Velocitor 0047 - .22 Long Rifle - Rimfire Ammunition - Ammunition

Federal Gold Match Federal .22LR Gold Medal Rimfire 40gr LRN 50rds 711B - .22 Long Rifle - Rimfire Ammunition - Ammunition

I've been waiting to try some CCI velocitors for a while now so I jumped on it at $10 per 50. I know that's not the cheapest 22lr ammo out there, but even in a reasonable market that ammo wasn't going to sell as cheaply as the bulk stuff and since I have plenty of the bulk ammo I wanted to try some of the "good stuff".

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I emailed Winchester and Remington about the .22 shortage. I received the same reply from both, their rim fire plants are working 24/7. So where are these Millions of rounds ending up? When some shows up at a store it's a few cartons instead of cases. :patriot:

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Buckshot Sporting Goods in New Castle has some Eley Sport Standard Velocity 22LR lead round nose, 50rd boxes for $5.50. Limit one box per customer.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    My wife, daughter and I use to really enjoy range days plinking with the .22's. I've got maybe 700 rounds and really want to put my daughter in an Appleseed event. I know the Appleseed event would be a great way to use the rounds I have, but I'm still hesitant. The nice thing my daughter, 16, understands the situation. Never thought I'd see the day when people might fight over .22lr like it was the last Cabbage Patch Kid on the shelves in the 80's.

PM sent. ;)

Purdue Plinker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    Indy
    It has been getting better... especially if you are okay with buying online for good ammo versus expecting cheap bulk ammo at a retail store. If you are lucky and/or fast, MidwayUSA or PSA have stuff in here and there (PSA sometimes has day-long price drops). Besides the links teddy12b posted (I snagged some Velocitors as well there), PSA had 100 Mini-mag rounds for $11.99 this week. If you don't want to check each site daily, just use gunbot.

I've been shooting a few hundred rounds a week. Sure, with everyone snagging as much as they can typically when stuff is in stock or having to pay shipping online, it may not be easy all the time nor as cheap as it once was... but if it is still worth it to you, then you can. It seems like an issue with people not willing to pay what the market imposes rather than a complete lack of ability to acquire ammo.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I have been able to keep tabs on my LGS's around and they are all in the same boat, when they can get it they do and otherwise it is dry. One shop recieved 10K rounds of 22LR, put it on facebook and it lasted the rest of that day and part of the next day. Become friends with all of your LGS's and visit them often, but just don't walk in and ask for 22 ammo.. lol It is a benefit of buying local some of the time, if they know your a buyer and buy stuff often your more likely to get the consideration of a few boxes of ammo when others they don't know are told they are out.

I also keep tabs on www.ammoseek.com and www.gunbot.net for who has stock and how much.

I have seen plenty of people trading other ammo for 22 ammo and get fair deals.

There is something for stocking up, not hording but stocking at least enough for your normal amount of shooting. Like say keep at least a years worth of plinking ammo in reserve for times like these...

Best of luck..

TJ

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    When it comes back around I'm going to buy a box of federal 550 every week or 2 or 3 boxs of CCI mini mags

This is the best answer for the win!!! I did this after the '08 panic buying died down, and I'm going to do it again after this panic buying goes away. Think of all the years gun owners have walked past bricks of 22lr on sale for $20 each and never thought ahead. Now they're paying several times that price out of desperation. The old saying of "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" comes into play. Learn from this ammo shortage guys and don't let it ever happen to you or your family again.

Since the panic really started to take off in Dec, I couldn't tell you how many bricks of 22lr I've gone through. I can tell you how many I've got left though and that I'm not really worried about needing to find more for a long time.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Agreed. I generally stocked up on everything.... everything except .22 (well .22 and 12 gauge). I would pick up a few boxes of 9mm, .45, .223 etc when I went to Walmart. But somehow, I never really bought .22. I kept meaning to pick up a couple of those Winchester M-22 1000rd packs, but I was always filling my box limit with something else. On a whim, I picked up a 1400rd ammo can of CCI Mini-mags at Gander last year and 2 bricks of CCI SV for suppressed shooting and I'm really glad I did. I've scrounged a few bulk packs here and there and am somehow muddling through. The killer thing is taking co-workers to the range. I've become the go to guy to take people shooting for their first time (especially visiting employees from our European and Asian offices), so I burn through a ton of .22 just getting them started. They always chip in for ammo. It just sucks that I can't easily replace what they are shooting.

So, when this ends, I'm adding .22 to my primary buy-on-sight list and making sure I have at least 4 or 5 thousands rounds on hand at any given time.

This is the best answer for the win!!! I did this after the '08 panic buying died down, and I'm going to do it again after this panic buying goes away. Think of all the years gun owners have walked past bricks of 22lr on sale for $20 each and never thought ahead. Now they're paying several times that price out of desperation. The old saying of "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" comes into play. Learn from this ammo shortage guys and don't let it ever happen to you or your family again.

Since the panic really started to take off in Dec, I couldn't tell you how many bricks of 22lr I've gone through. I can tell you how many I've got left though and that I'm not really worried about needing to find more for a long time.

hochwald

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    South Bend
    Agreed. I generally stocked up on everything.... everything except .22 (well .22 and 12 gauge). I would pick up a few boxes of 9mm, .45, .223 etc when I went to Walmart. But somehow, I never really bought .22. I kept meaning to pick up a couple of those Winchester M-22 1000rd packs, but I was always filling my box limit with something else. On a whim, I picked up a 1400rd ammo can of CCI Mini-mags at Gander last year and 2 bricks of CCI SV for suppressed shooting and I'm really glad I did. I've scrounged a few bulk packs here and there and am somehow muddling through. The killer thing is taking co-workers to the range. I've become the go to guy to take people shooting for their first time (especially visiting employees from our European and Asian offices), so I burn through a ton of .22 just getting them started. They always chip in for ammo. It just sucks that I can't easily replace what they are shooting.

So, when this ends, I'm adding .22 to my primary buy-on-sight list and making sure I have at least 4 or 5 thousands rounds on hand at any given time.

Everyone is saying they will "not be fooled again" and stock up for a year's supply "when this is shortage over". This type of thinking and stockpiling behavior is actually happening now, and is probably what is extending the shortage beyond what anyone expected. I expect that when the shortage ends, everyone (including INGOers) will have had their "year's supply" already bought. Not making judgments, just a thought.

Top Bottom