• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I'm thinking of purchasing a handgun chambered for .22LR at the 1500 for no other reason than to hear more cartridges hitting the floor than change out of my pocket. More is the word and shooting is the action. Have any INGO members had experience with any .22LR handguns? What handgun would you recommend for just having fun at the range?

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    Depends what kind of shooter you are...

I love my P22. It is fairly accurate...but i suspect you are going to get more recommendations for Ruger MK-III's and the like.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I'm thinking of purchasing a handgun chambered for .22LR at the 1500 for no other reason than to hear more cartridges hitting the floor than change out of my pocket. More is the word and shooting is the action. Have any INGO members had experience with any .22LR handguns? What handgun would you recommend for just having fun at the range?

I think you'll find everything you need to know in this thread.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/185339-who_shoots_22_handguns.html

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    You should definitely invest in a .22. They are much cheaper to feed than any other caliber and a lot of fun. You can buy a 500 round bulk pack for under $20 and spend an entire weekend shooting for less than the cost of 100 rounds of regular centerfire ammo. There are a number of good options out there and the 1500 will be a good place to handle them and decide which one fits you best.

Read the thread listed above and then do some searching on the models you are interested in and you should find a lot of useful info. Good luck in your search...

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    firearms in .22lr are great! I shoot somewhere between 6,000 and 10,000 rounds of .22lr a year easy. Cheap to feed and let you shoot so much more! :rockwoot: I have a semiauto handgun, a revolver, and a bolt action rifle chambered for .22lr.

Just a couple questions:

Are you wanting a semiauto or revolver?

What handgun do you carry? If possible, do you want your .22 to resemble your carry gun?

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

In .22LR handguns, for accuracy and durability, no one beats Ruger, and I mean no one. We have the Ruger MK II that I bought when I was 18 in the family still, my brothers kids shoot it all the time. Had it since 1978. My dad had a Ruger Single six revolver when I was a kid, that was his fathers.......he still shoots it all the time. And it will get passed down to one of us when he goes, I have no doubts of that.

I am looking to acquire 2 .22lr's in the very near future. the first one is a new Ruger MK III Hunter, with the 6 7/8 barrel, in stainless steel and the front fiber optic sight. The ONLY complaint I have about Rugers, are that the front blade sights are too large, IMO, and cover too much of the target area.

The 2nd one is the NEW Ruger single 10 revolver...with full fiber optic sights (front and rear). the reviews on BOTH these guns for accuracy are simply outstanding.

One thing about teh Ruger MK series, is that they tend to be a bit tough to tear down for cleaning, at least until you get used to doing it. With one of these, that problem goes away AND you get an improved trigger as well.

10118.jpg

8100.jpg

Both of these guns will last for generations of shooting, and 10's of thousands of rounds. My fathers Single six literally has well over 75,000 rounds through it (I personally put at least 15,000 rounds through it).

Last edited:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Also, Ruger has a new SR22 out, that is getting excellent reviews. It tends to be a bit cheaper than the two guns I listed...but there are lots of MK III's , single sixs that are cheaper as well.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    these 2

I could not agree more with these 2 choices except i would get the mark III that was suppressed...i might get a double action revolver but both of these are excellent choices
    In .22LR handguns, for accuracy and durability, no one beats Ruger, and I mean no one. We have the Ruger MK II that I bought when I was 18 in the family still, my brothers kids shoot it all the time. Had it since 1978. My dad had a Ruger Single six revolver when I was a kid, that was his fathers.......he still shoots it all the time. And it will get passed down to one of us when he goes, I have no doubts of that.

I am looking to acquire 2 .22lr's in the very near future. the first one is a new Ruger MK III Hunter, with the 6 7/8 barrel, in stainless steel and the front fiber optic sight. The ONLY complaint I have about Rugers, are that the front blade sights are too large, IMO, and cover too much of the target area.

The 2nd one is the NEW Ruger single 10 revolver...with full fiber optic sights (front and rear). the reviews on BOTH these guns for accuracy are simply outstanding.

One thing about teh Ruger MK series, is that they tend to be a bit tough to tear down for cleaning, at least until you get used to doing it. With one of these, that problem goes away AND you get an improved trigger as well.

10118.jpg

8100.jpg

Both of these guns will last for generations of shooting, and 10's of thousands of rounds. My fathers Single six literally has well over 75,000 rounds through it (I personally put at least 15,000 rounds through it).

muzicman71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Frankfort, In.
    22LR?

]I just recently purchased S&W 22A with a 5 1/2" barrel. put a Bushnell trophy sight on top. Can be red or green on the sight, dot or crosses and a couple more options on the sight. Very inexpensive to shoot. My 18 yr. old daughter loves to shoot with it. The only drawback is it only comes with 10 rd. mags. If anyone knows of some after market mags with more capacity let me know. I will come back afterwhile and try and put a picture of it on here. It looks pretty mean! It also comes in a 7" length.

P.S. I tried to add a photo to this post of my 22A. It did not work so I added an album with it and a few more pics. Enjoy!:ar15:

Last edited:

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    I love my MKIII Hunter ...added a Primary Arms micro dot. FWIW, though field stripping is a bit of a pain, it gets much easier once you get the hang of it. Whatever .22 you end up with, the savings in ammo will pay for the gun fairly quickly! :yesway:

01-06-2012155928.jpg

Sorry for the blurry image. :/

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    Just a couple questions:

Are you wanting a semiauto or revolver?

What handgun do you carry? If possible, do you want your .22 to resemble your carry gun?

I am solely thinking of getting a semiauto for now. If possible I would prefer to buy one that resembles my EDC which is a G30SF, but I also realize that may not be feasible.

Everyone has been a tremendous help by providing info and reviews, thank you all!

Top Bottom