• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    I'm picking up another 22 to tinker with and to do a little long range rimfire with. What's your guys thoughts on barrel length. I'm either picking up a mkii fvsr with a 16.5" flutted bull barrel or a mkii fv with a 21" bull barrel. What's everyone ones thoughts on barrel length. And yes I know, most will comment with a different gun I "should" buy instead.

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    My limited understanding is that the bulk/all of the powder in a .22 LR is burned up in about 12" of barrel. I would think a bit more length may boost velocity a smidge. But there is relatively no difference in velocity between say a 16" and a 20" barrel. Accuracy is only going to be affected if you are using open sights with a longer sight radius generally being more precise.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    If long range is your venue it would seem to make sense that a longer barrel would be the option to choose. I have a couple of .22s, both reasonably accurate short range but the longer barrel does make a difference when you want to reach out and touch the target. So, for long range target I'd take the longer bull barrel.

Cheers

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Barrel length will mainly matter on a open sight rifle due to sight radius. If long range is what your going for, you will probably be shooting subs anyways, so barrel length with a scope matter zilch.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    I have always heard (no hard data or chrono results) that approximately 14" produces max velocity on standard 22LR loads. Snorko has heard differently. I'd like to see some chrono results with a host of std velocity loads across a range of barrel lengths.
    I agree with others that the velocity will not be significantly less with a longer barrel and the sight radius will help.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    12", 14" or 16". Whichever is correct, we are saying the same thing basically. After some googling i read some benchrest shooters have landed on 24.75" as optimum. Apparently the extra length allows the pressure to drop enough to NOT mess up the bullet's exit.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Some serious small bore shooters add 6 more inches of length with a "bloop tube" or a sight extension bracket to extend the sight radius. These devices do not touch the bullet. Like said, the powder is gone and every mm of extra barrel past the powder pressure is just extra friction that slows the bullet. I have an old school 28 inch barrel target rifle, and when using a scope it is no advantage over a 18 inch match barrel on rifle fitted with a scope.

Last edited:

Taurahe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Greenwood
    Instead of a long barrel, I would focus on a bull barrel and a good trigger. IMO, the heavier barrel will do more for you than a long barrel in terms of 22 lr. My CZ has a short bull barrel but at 50 yds it will put three rounds into a dime. The trigger breaks at 3lbs even, and really makes a huge difference.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    For open sights, I like the CZ 452 Ultra Lux if you can find them any more. The have a ~28" barrel and good sights. For even better iron sighted action, you can get on Rimfire Central and find the guy who sells the peep sights that use the factory mounting brackets. They are from BRNO and work great.

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.4%
    62   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    There is a study out there that shows .22lr is all but spent in the shorter barrel. IIRC it was 16" at the max with the super fast stuff. Anything longer and you are slowing the bullet down. Go with the shorter barrel.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Barrel length will mainly matter on a open sight rifle due to sight radius. If long range is what your going for, you will probably be shooting subs anyways, so barrel length with a scope matter zilch.

Why subsonic for long rang?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Why subsonic for long rang?

Because super sonic has to transition from super sonic to sub sonic (around 100 yds) and it will throw the bullet into a unpredictable wobble. Sub sonic never goes through that transition because it starts off behind the wave. Im not saying you cant do super's at long range Im saying if your serious about it you will use subs.

Gibster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Boone County
    Years ago while squirrel hunting, I sighted three 22's in at 50 yds using same box of ammo. Guns were...a 27 in. Remington, a 22 in. Mossberg and 18 in. Browning. Then shot each across about 100 yards of water from a rest about 15 feet above the water. The target was a bleach bottle about one feet up the bank.
    Results...27 in. carried the water....22 in. splashed 10 ft short....18 in. splashed 20 ft short
    Have been a firm believer in barrel length ever since. My 2 cents.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Years ago while squirrel hunting, I sighted three 22's in at 50 yds using same box of ammo. Guns were...a 27 in. Remington, a 22 in. Mossberg and 18 in. Browning. Then shot each across about 100 yards of water from a rest about 15 feet above the water. The target was a bleach bottle about one feet up the bank.
    Results...27 in. carried the water....22 in. splashed 10 ft short....18 in. splashed 20 ft short
    Have been a firm believer in barrel length ever since. My 2 cents.
    A .22 lr ballistics chart will put the lie to this fallacy. How the sights were set and whether your ammo was of cosistent quality might have had something to do with the results of your 3 shot test results.

Shortest legal bbl length in a .22 rifle will consistently give you the highest velocity/most efficient use of powder. Vette is riggt on the $ about the subsonic ammo. Exception being the 60gr sniper subs which will require a higher twist rate to stabilize.
    Rainbow trajectory with subs but it is a fairly consistent rainbow.

Remember that EVERY .22 rifle is a law unto itself regarding the ammo it likes and will shoot well. Testing variety is your friend.

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    Had a tricked out Savage FV. It was too heavy to carry and hard to shoot offhand accurately. Very good on a bench.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I have always heard (no hard data or chrono results) that approximately 14" produces max velocity on standard 22LR loads. Snorko has heard differently. I'd like to see some chrono results with a host of std velocity loads across a range of barrel lengths.
    I agree with others that the velocity will not be significantly less with a longer barrel and the sight radius will help.

Similar to Vlad and Snorko, but with different numbers -- (If I have time, i'll try my google-fu on this)
    But I remember hearing recently that there is very little velocity gain once you get above approx. 18" in barrel. You might see a 1-2% gain between per inch between 16-20"
    My understanding is that once you're over 20", your fps will not increase. The study I found where they did this was with standard ("cheap") loads, so something hypervelocity like stingers or yellowjackets might be different.
    Similarly, you get minimal gains (but still gains) above the 14 or 15" length. So, a 16" barrel is quite agile and gets *nearly* all of the juice out of a .22lr.

From personal experience, I will say that I like .22lr rifles in the 18-20" range. Especially with iron sights, becuase they give more sight radius
    ALSO, they're quieter than their 16" brothers.
    We used to shoot gophers in MT with a 10/22, a Marlin 60, and a Rem speedmaster (the latter 2 were longer) and you could hear the difference.

Top Bottom