• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldguyguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Cicero
    I sent a note to CCI/SPEER a few days ago asking if they had converted some of their 22lr capacity to more profitable cartridges. They responded quickly and stated that they are running their 22lr lines 24/7 and shipping 3,000,000 rounds per day. I wonder where it is going------??????

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    I would say hoarders, but a friend from work bought his very first firearm over the weekend. He stopped by our out-of-the-way WalMart and scored a brick yesterday before work. I haven't seen .22LR at WalMart in over a year, but he got there just after they'd put it out, I guess. There must really be millions of new shooters scouring the shelves, as I know probably fifteen or twenty of them myself! We may be overlooking the impact all these first-time shooters are having on the ammo supply, as .22 rimfire will likely be their ammo of choice, right?

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    I sent a note to CCI/SPEER a few days ago asking if they had converted some of their 22lr capacity to more profitable cartridges. They responded quickly and stated that they are running their 22lr lines 24/7 and shipping 3,000,000 rounds per day. I wonder where it is going------??????

3,000,000 rounds sounds like a lot, but if you think about it, that's 120 bulk backs per state, per day.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Wonder no more my friend ... good 'ole math will provide your answer. That 3,000,000 rounds per day is only 6,000 bricks ... any idea how many places sell this ammo in Indiana alone? Now, extrapolate that out to the whole country ... 6,000 bricks per day just doesn't go very far with that kind of distribution.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I just find it hard to get my mind around these numbers, This is going on for 2 years, Do hoarders not work and if they don't work how are they buying the ammo. ?????????????

Help me here I really don't get it, if you want to do the numbers tell me how many bricks they've produced vs how many gun owners there are? Over the last 2 years, I know at least 30 gun owners and we meet on Thursday nights and 1 of those bought a brick in the last 2 years,

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I would say hoarders, but a friend from work bought his very first firearm over the weekend. He stopped by our out-of-the-way WalMart and scored a brick yesterday before work. I haven't seen .22LR at WalMart in over a year, but he got there just after they'd put it out, I guess. There must really be millions of new shooters scouring the shelves, as I know probably fifteen or twenty of them myself! We may be overlooking the impact all these first-time shooters are having on the ammo supply, as .22 rimfire will likely be their ammo of choice, right?

3,000,000 rounds sounds like a lot, but if you think about it, that's 120 bulk backs per state, per day.

HOW DARE YOU 2 USE SIMPLE MATH TO TRY AND EXPLAIN AN AMMO SHORTAGE!!!

:)::):

I just find it hard to get my mind around these numbers, This is going on for 2 years, Do hoarders not work and if they don't work how are they buying the ammo. ?????????????

Help me here I really don't get it, if you want to do the numbers tell me how many bricks they've produced vs how many gun owners there are? Over the last 2 years, I know at least 30 gun owners and we meet on Thursday nights and 1 of those bought a brick in the last 2 years,

Next to the "hoarders" and "flippers", you also have the every day consumer who buys what they need. You have appleseed shoots, training classes, etc.

You have to imagine too, what was the normal amount of 22 on hand at a gunstore before Sandy Hook? 10 cases? 20? 50? And this is just at 1 store, and how many thousands of gun stores are there? And every year how many times did they have to reorder just because people going out and shooting?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I haven't seen .22LR at WalMart in over a year, but he got there just after they'd put it out, I guess.

A week ago Wednesday evening OkieGirl had to run an errand to Walmart. She asked me if I needed anything, to which I replied "a sleeve of Mini Mag please" followed by a chuckle. Damn if 45 minutes later the woman walks in the door and drops a bag with three 100 round packs of CCI Mini Mag in my lap! She said when she walked up to the counter there was a lot of activity and when it came her turn she couldn't believe there were four sleeves on the shelf left. She took three.

Good woman that OkieGirl.

Edit: $0.08 / round out the door.

Last edited:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Hammond Cabelas had bricks of CCI blazers in stock today. Kind of expensive, but in stock expensive beats the heck out of cheap but out of stock.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    186   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I too believe there have been a lot of new shooters enter the sport within the past couple of years.
    Combine that with others being caught by surprise at the ammo shelf as bare the grocery store shelves before a snow storm.

A lot of people found themselves with little or NO ammo, didn't like that feeling & want to prevent being in that position again.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne

I think quite a bit of it is going to operators of LGS's who use Walmart as a supplier. They buy it off the shelf, double the price, and some desperate yahoo rewards them by purchasing it. Certainly that's not all gun stores, but it only takes a few. From personal experience, someone at ZX did me a major solid there last week. I got a 500rd brick for $25. :)

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    LGS has it very often, but of course it's ~$40 or $50 a bulk pack. Availability is no problem, it's the price that is the issue. You can buy .22 all day at $60 a bulk pack.

xM3RC1L3SS1x

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Southeast of Indy

Obama's having us buy it for them :)

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

2 years? You mean one year. Last January before the panic kicked in Gander Mountain had shelves full of it

gstanley102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Delphi
    I know this thread is well worn but here goes anyway.

Fall of 2012 there were pallets of 22lr in RK, WM, and GM.
    After Jan 2013 there was no more than a token box or two to be found.
    All manufactures claim to be producing at max capacity 24/7.
    CCI is probably the small producer, compared to Rem, Fed, and Win.
    CCI claims thry are producing 3 million/day.
    The big three are probably producing at least twice that each, 6 million/day.
    That should total 21 million rounds/day, 147 million rounds/week, 52,900 million rounds/year.
    Of course that's only 42,000 bricks/day, 294,000 bricks/week, 105,840,000 bricks/year.

If I were in the 22lr manufacturing business there are a couple of things I would do.

1. Determine what price the market would support. After all I'm selling my product at capacity, and so are ny competitors.
    Larger margins are called for. I can't give those margins to flee marketers ang keep my stock holders happy.
    2. Upgrade, or expand, my manufacturing capacity. That shouldn't take 12 months to accomplish.
    Granted I don't know much equipment or space is required. That should not be a problem considering the possible margins.

We are now 14 months into this, with very little if any, signs of the shortage easing.
    I am struggling to see where this prolonged shortage makes any sense.

Top Bottom