• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    In another post I had made a request about a holster for a sr22 not intending to start a caliber war although some were intent on going there. So here is a little back ground about a little lowly 22lr

Recently I lost my brother he had his own drywall business and worked very hard, and my son was the light of his life. He was working a secton 8 housing project (not his first choice of places to work but he did what he needed to do to keep his cmpany and employees working) That day he was working to get a unit ready for occupancy when he was caught in the middle of a dispute between a dealer and an addict at the project he was working at. He was not armed And I often think how things would have been different had he been. But we will never know, as much as the liberal gun grabbers would tell you that no it would not have made a difference. I went through a very difficult time for about a year. After that I started thinking about things in a whole new way. I thought about my wife and young son, taking steps to keep them safe. We talked about maybee gettng a gun and how long it would take for help to get here if we really needed it. Experence has sadly taught me that seconds can mean the difference between life and death and the police really can not protect you. Well one day we were watching RFD tv and there was an add for a Henry Lever action 22lr I had always wanted a lever acton just never ever acted on it thinking that there were more important things to spend money on or saving for the future. So we talked about it and decided to take a look at gettng one. We found it to be very well made and had really nice wood and great fit and finish and at the time they were what I would call inexpensive. So we bought one. Over the next few months I found my self plinking out back for some reason there was something about making a tin can jump or full soda cans on a hot day. I had found something that seemed normalize life for a little while. Shooting that little 22 really helped me through a tough time, then my wife began plinking and soon all three of us had taken a gun safety course and learned about safe handling and operation. Now we all shoot as a family it has brought us together and made us realize how important it is to preserve your liberty and be responsible for your own safety and being as ready as posible for the unexpected. I can not wait for my sons 10th birthday as I boought him a Henry 22 magnum Golden Boy and I am sure he will appreciate it for a very long time. So that is why I will never say any thing negative about a 22.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    When I shoot for fun and don't want to spend a lot of money doing it, I shoot my .22's. Having it around for home defence is not all bad either. You should look up the history of the .22. It is quite interesting.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Wow, touching story. Amazing that shooting can bring you all together. Just don't tell the mainstream media that. They'd lose it.

Carry what you or your wife wants. Everybody has to make their own decisions, and its all a trade off game one way or the other. All handgun rounds are mediocre at best for "stopping." Just make sure that you/she carries QUALITY ammo, not bulk pack plinking ammo.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Sorry to hear about your loss. I work construction with my brother and we are very close. I am glad to hear that the shooting death of your brother did not turn you off to firearms, like it does many who don't understand it is the person behind the firearm. I am really glad to hear that you have found an activity that has brought your family together.
    Is the .22 LR round a perfect defensive round? Certainly not. Is it better that no firearm at all? Most certainly. My buddy has an SR22 and it is one of the most accurate handguns I have seen. We all like to think in a defensive situation, just pulling a handgun out will stop the threat. If not, it comes down to putting rounds on target, in the vitals. I have seen guys carry .45 ACP's or .44 Magnums that couldn't hit a barn, if they were standing inside it.
    If your wife is comfortable with the SR22 as far as recoil and muzzle blast and she can HIT what she aims at, then tell her to go for it! Situational awareness, mindset to use the weapon......much more important than caliber, IMHO.

BIGKAT9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Valpo.
    When i saw the header for this story i was thinking what, then after reading it,it really is a very powerful cartridge when it brings a family together like that .My condolences on your loss .

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Funny one of you should mention shot placement. I gave both of my daughter's snubbies for self defense. They both thought they were "set". Until yesterday.
    I finally had a chance to get both of them together with their revolvers and targets at 7 yrs. They thought this distance was absurd, until they tried it out. We spent the next hour looking for the epiphany of the front sight, and learning how our revolvers worked.
    It was a good time, and a good learning experience for both, and we began to see the importance of shot placement and practice.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I'm glad to hear the 22's have brought your family closer together. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. However, it sounds like you're 'back on track' (tv quote: 'We are Marshall').

I love .22lr. That was my first gun and probably a lot of folks first gun. Good story too.

I think a 22lr should be everybody's first firearm. :dunno:

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Thanks for sharing.
    People often forget that power takes many forms.

Remember, the pen is mightier than the sword...

Sort of why I get tired of all the post and character raping that occurs in most internet forums.

Thankfully I have managed to find a few friends here that aren't interested in beating everyone into submission over their beliefs.

You know who you are and thank you.

Thanks again for sharing this message with us.

Ruger44fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Orange County California
    Wow sorry for your loss and your right we'll never know what might have happened had he been armed. As for the 22LR while I doubt anyone here would pick it for their first choice defense round it has proven itself very capable of killing humans. Shot placement is important here and I’m pretty sure you’ll get no takers to volunteer to be shot by one. Even a slingshot is lethal, so if all I had was a 22LR (A Ruger 1022 for me) then I would be able to make some would be attacker wish they’d gone somewhere else

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Sorry to hear about your loss. I work construction with my brother and we are very close. I am glad to hear that the shooting death of your brother did not turn you off to firearms, like it does many who don't understand it is the person behind the firearm. I am really glad to hear that you have found an activity that has brought your family together.
    Is the .22 LR round a perfect defensive round? Certainly not. Is it better that no firearm at all? Most certainly. My buddy has an SR22 and it is one of the most accurate handguns I have seen. We all like to think in a defensive situation, just pulling a handgun out will stop the threat. If not, it comes down to putting rounds on target, in the vitals. I have seen guys carry .45 ACP's or .44 Magnums that couldn't hit a barn, if they were standing inside it.
    If your wife is comfortable with the SR22 as far as recoil and muzzle blast and she can HIT what she aims at, then tell her to go for it! Situational awareness, mindset to use the weapon......much more important than caliber, IMHO.
    Very well said. Practice is important, and you have to be able to hit the target. A few 22LR hollow points in the right place will do the job.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Sorry for your loss and thank you for sharing your story. The .22LR will always be around. As pointed out by others about the SR22, I've used that to teach my wife and daughters to shoot and it's been a great bonding tool, because it is fun plinking cans and water jugs, etc.

Hajisc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   1
    Oct 11, 2012
    Westville,In.
    Very moving story, My son and I frequently shoot in the back yard with the .22's. Many times with just the Aquilla .22's that have a magnum primer and no powder ,very quiet but still shred pop cans at 25-30 feet . Very good caliber to start with especially when the person starts out a little squemish about shooting .

Top Bottom