• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    With my scope I can dial out to about 450. Im thinking of upgrading my scope to somthing I can dial all the way with, but thats a BIG upgrade and I dont think my wallet is ready to swallow that pill

What is your current scope and what would be the big investment scope?
    I would like to possibly start testing the limits with 17 hmr :dunno:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    my current scope is a 4-16x50 vortex pst front focal plane, moa reticle. They run 899 and have a listed 75 moa of internal travel (mine has 79 moa).

The upgrade would involve getting a 35mm tube over the 30mm tube but it is the vortex razor 5-20. They run 1999, and have 125 moa of internal travel.

Vortex Optics - Razor HD 5-20x50 (MOA) EBR-1 <br />25 MOA <br />Turrets

Here is some pics of my current rifle

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0048.jpg

IMAG0049.jpg

IMAG0052.jpg

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    There's a guy on Youtube that shoots ~400 yards pretty regularly using CCI Velocitor. It seems like he could probably squeak out another 50 yards. There's also some Aguila 40 grain screaming fast 1470 fps stuff that might work for you.

Ah, here he is -
    [ame]http://youtu.be/1jylb-TpPXY[/ame]

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    At these ranges your still probably going to run out. I have a 25 moa base on my rifle. I can dial out to 430 yards. After that I still have to hold for range. I really wish somone would make a 30moa base that would allow me to dial out to 490ish, but i would not be able to have a 50 yard zero anymore wich is not a huge issue with the rifle I run with
    Could you not gain enough adjustment with a set of Burris Signature rings and the offset inserts along with the 20 moa base?

+10 under the rear and a -10 under the front of the scope should give you another 20 MOA. Right?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Could you not gain enough adjustment with a set of Burris Signature rings and the offset inserts along with the 20 moa base?

+10 under the rear and a -10 under the front of the scope should give you another 20 MOA. Right?

It should, ve never messed with canted rings because I think it could easily put undue stress on the scope tube. Im not saying they do, Im just saying thats why i never messed with them. I guess I could give them a try.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Federal Automatch...200yd hits on an 8" plate from my FV-SR are pretty reliable, 300yd and its pretty darn tough.

I have a Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10x40 scope and 20MOA of Burris Signature Zee inserts, and it takes every 1/10mil of adjustment I have beyond a 50yd zero to get to 300yd.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    You're doing pretty good getting hits on target from over a 1/4 mile away, with bulk. 22LR ammo. My shooting app shows the bullet drop being nearly 35 feet (50yrd zero) on my AR-15. 22LR upper using CCI Mini Mags. That's almost indirect fire. Flight time is nearly 2 seconds. That's a lot of time for external influences to affect that round.

.22 bullets are not the most aerodynamic rounds. I just don't see them regaining much stability once they've started to wobble. And once they've started to wobble, even the best predictive calculations go out the window.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    yeah i showed about 32-33 ft of drop at that distance also. Im going to pick up some sub sonic CCI and probly try some of the Velocitors also. at 250 yards its pretty easy (well what i call easy). I even went for the 4" target at 250 and hit it 2 out of 8 times and there was a 5 mph cross wind. I think the bullet is just starting to tumble somewhere between 250 and 450. I dont know if the right answer is faster or slower....but im willing to try both. The other problem is that to really try it you have to have almost no wind. When i went out the first time to try i had about a 20 mph wind from about the 2 o clock direction. So it was slowing the bullet down faster and pushing it left. When i went out the second time the wind had died down quite a bit but it was about a 5 mph crosswind from 3 o clock with trees blocking the wind in some spots and not in others. I know from experience that at 250 yards that that kind of wind moves it about 6" or so (depending if trees are blocking any wind and how much). So you do the math and it gets really sketchy with a 5 mph wind at 450 yards on a 22lr bullet. Im not saying its impossible at all. Its just gonna take a good day and all the other factors need to be worked out ahead of time.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    yeah i showed about 32-33 ft of drop at that distance also. Im going to pick up some sub sonic CCI and probly try some of the Velocitors also. at 250 yards its pretty easy (well what i call easy). I even went for the 4" target at 250 and hit it 2 out of 8 times and there was a 5 mph cross wind. I think the bullet is just starting to tumble somewhere between 250 and 450. I dont know if the right answer is faster or slower....but im willing to try both. The other problem is that to really try it you have to have almost no wind. When i went out the first time to try i had about a 20 mph wind from about the 2 o clock direction. So it was slowing the bullet down faster and pushing it left. When i went out the second time the wind had died down quite a bit but it was about a 5 mph crosswind from 3 o clock with trees blocking the wind in some spots and not in others. I know from experience that at 250 yards that that kind of wind moves it about 6" or so (depending if trees are blocking any wind and how much). So you do the math and it gets really sketchy with a 5 mph wind at 450 yards on a 22lr bullet. Im not saying its impossible at all. Its just gonna take a good day and all the other factors need to be worked out ahead of time.

Thats what makes long range rimfire so fun and difficult. Its also why luck plays a role. The wind can change while the bullet is in flight and you cant control that.

I will say Its nice to see folks giving it a try:rockwoot:

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Thats what makes long range rimfire so fun and difficult. Its also why luck plays a role. The wind can change while the bullet is in flight and you cant control that.

I will say Its nice to see folks giving it a try:rockwoot:
    +1

Enjoy the challenge. Don't be dissappointed be poor and inconsistent results.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    So what guns are you guys using for long range .22 shooting? Are these all custom guns or can you make these shots with a mostly stock gun and a good scope? How much $$$ do you guys have invested in the set ups?

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I am using a Marlin 795 ($150 msrp gun). I have a special trigger in it and then polished and reshaped the trigger parts and put a free float stock on it and for right now the scope is a CRAPPY $40 Tasco (had it laying around as a extra). It doesnt take a ton of money into a gun to get it to shoot. MOST shooters will never surpass their guns ability. I couldnt tell you exactly how much i have in mine right now but probly around $500 or a bit more. Get out there and try...its fun to push yourself.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I am using a Marlin 795 ($150 msrp gun). I have a special trigger in it and then polished and reshaped the trigger parts and put a free float stock on it and for right now the scope is a CRAPPY $40 Tasco (had it laying around as a extra). It doesnt take a ton of money into a gun to get it to shoot. MOST shooters will never surpass their guns ability. I couldnt tell you exactly how much i have in mine right now but probly around $500 or a bit more. Get out there and try...its fun to push yourself.

Yea after reading a few threads about long range rimfire shooting I'm thinking I may have to get into it.

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    I read this post and reread it and read through it again today ......... @ first I thought 450yds with a 22lr - what's the point 1350' that's over a 1/4 mile............ I'm actually surprised there's enough energy to break the paper @ that distance let alone how much you have to raise the barrel to lob a bullet that far , so now I'm thinking my $90 marlin 60 with iron sites........... maybe 50 yards with my tired old eyes a 100 yds with teenage son behind the trigger - I can see $40 on cheapo scope to dial in 100yds and there should still be enough energy to knock a squirrel over :) or maybe I'm either missing the point all together or completely underestimating the power of 22lr (?)
    Dan T

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I read this post and reread it and read through it again today ......... @ first I thought 450yds with a 22lr - what's the point 1350' that's over a 1/4 mile............ I'm actually surprised there's enough energy to break the paper @ that distance let alone how much you have to raise the barrel to lob a bullet that far , so now I'm thinking my $90 marlin 60 with iron sites........... maybe 50 yards with my tired old eyes a 100 yds with teenage son behind the trigger - I can see $40 on cheapo scope to dial in 100yds and there should still be enough energy to knock a squirrel over :) or maybe I'm either missing the point all together or completely underestimating the power of 22lr (?)
    Dan T

It's just for fun. I don't thing anyone,is expecting to take game with a .22 at 450 yards. It's definitely satisfying to hear the steel ring from that far away, a few seconds after squeezing off the shot.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Dan T

Not everything I do with guns is remotely hunting related. I pack a light cz452 for squirrel, not the monstrosity you see above.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    what would you guys say is the most accurate off the shelf .22?

Depends on the price range.

north of 500 dollars would probably be a anny
    south of 500 dollars would be the cz 452@ 350ish
    south of 350 dollars would be the savage offerings

Somone will be along shortly saying my XXX is plenty accurate for squirel at 50 yards, but I dont think thats what your talking about

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    Depends on the price range.

north of 500 dollars would probably be a anny
    south of 500 dollars would be the cz 452@ 350ish
    south of 350 dollars would be the savage offerings

Somone will be along shortly saying my XXX is plenty accurate for squirel at 50 yards, but I dont think thats what your talking about

i 99.9% agree. if you can find one a 1940's suhl 150 from e. germany. factory trigger can be adjusted down to 2 oz. tough to beat, impossible to find in great condition unless its a full blown custom for pro shooting 50 yds. then in the $2500 plus range....daryll

Top Bottom