• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sdbran01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Im in the market for a bolt action rifle in .223. My budget is under $1000 for gun and optic. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    remington 700. the most common rifle ever made for a reason. plenty of aftermarket. buy the rifle, then talk with Alan with A&A optics and he will ask what your min-max ranges for rifle use will be, and help ya figure out what is right for you in the optics department.

sdbran01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Will do. I have looked into the 700 but also a little curious about the Mossburg MVP. Never owned a Mossburg rifle but using AR mags in a bolt action has gained my attention.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Will do. I have looked into the 700 but also a little curious about the Mossburg MVP. Never owned a Mossburg rifle but using AR mags in a bolt action has gained my attention.
    the MVP "used" to be decently priced. until the "sons of guns, red jacket, and whoever else on tv" got ahold of it. then everyone wanted one. prices are still stupid on em. the actions need a bit of fluff n buff work to be real smooth IMO.

buy a 700 in .223 = 550 ish
    3-9x40 scope from A&A= 180 with parallax IIRC
    total- 730 bucks.

thats 270 bucks left for ammo / boyd stock / bipod / scope rings / EGW rail / whatever you find necessary. :D

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I would also recommend the 700. The SPS Tactical is short and accurate right out of the box.

You have a bazillion options for optics. I'd give the Leupold Mark AR a close look. The turrets are pre marked for 223 bullet drop, and its a nice scope for the money. Also remember not to skimpy out on rings and you base.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I agree. I have had the chance to shoot 2 of them. One with the heavy barrel. Nice guns! They seem to be running around 5-600 dollars. Money left over for a new Bushnell banner scope or a Centerline or maybe a good used scope.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010

I got a chance to shoot one the other day and was very impressed. I found the action to smooth, trigger pull acceptable and accuracy outstanding. I was able to get about a 1 inch group and the guy that owned it, (and a much better shot than I) was getting sub MOA, some groups were a half inch or so using Black Hills match ammo. He had several mags and all functioned fine.

It's a gun that if I found it at a decent price I would have to pick up. The only complaint I have as far as a scout rifle is concerned is the lack of iron sights.

I guess I should mention that as far as accuracy goes the MVP is on par with my Rem 700 heavy barreled .233. Also neither rifle is suited to be set up as a scout rifle, no easy way to to forward mount the optics, ( unless you want to drill and tap the barrel) and lack of iron sights.

Last edited:

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    They have a new version of the MVP;

timthumb.php

Mossberg & Sons | 27714

:D

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I agree. I have had the chance to shoot 2 of them. One with the heavy barrel. Nice guns! They seem to be running around 5-600 dollars. Money left over for a new Bushnell banner scope or a Centerline or maybe a good used scope.

i think with a 1000 dollar package budget he can do alot better than a bushnell banner scope, and ive never even heard of a centerline scope. did you mean centerpoint? if so he can defintally do better.

@ sdbran01, shoot me a pm, email (alan@aaoptics.com) or give me a call 765-580-0986 and we will get you into the best scope for your needs and pricerange.

Top Bottom