• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I plan on reloading 223 for a bolt gun with a 1/9 twist. I have 100 Nosler 50 grain bullets (I like 50 grain, when I could get ammo off the shelf I bought 50 grain hollow points) and picked up some H4198 powder. This was the only powder I can get right now and the manual shows it will work with bullets up to 55 grains. Question is how does this powder perform? How does it meter? Are there better powders? I could probably take it back to the store for refund but have to wait to get different powder. I am not new to reloading just not familiar with rifle calibers.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    For ME...

IMR-4198 is a decent powder, and will work.

I prefer a powder that is NOT extruded and flows easier-that's just ME.

For a "Plinking" round in .223, I use a lot of WC844 (=H-335), and WC846 (=BL-C(2).

Probably the hands down favorite .223 powder around here is Varget--WHEN you can get it..Bill.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have used BL-C(2), and it does work just fine, my favorite is Varget. Nothing against the BL-C(2), just that I have a large supply of Varget, and use it in my bolt gun for .308 Win loads as well. For fun, I have even loaded some .223 with 55gr bullets and Trailboss. It was accurate, and actually kinda fun, midway between 22 Mag and 22 Hornet in power, and
    pretty quiet for an unsurpressed centerfire cartridge.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I only reload pistol, but I've got rifle reloading friends that swear by CFE223.

Developed for military use, greatly reduces copper fouling (CFE = Copper Fouling Eraser)...

Looks like this:

images

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I only reload pistol, but I've got rifle reloading friends that swear by CFE223.

Developed for military use, greatly reduces copper fouling (CFE = Copper Fouling Eraser)...

Looks like this:

images

I've used CFE 223 and found it is NOT as consistent as Varget. Groups went form .5 -.75 to about 1.25 to 1.5 inches @ 100 yards. It does meter well and is great for plinking loads in semi-autos. That's been my experience with it but every gun is different so YMMV.

Varget's my go to but you can build very accurate load with H4188 & BL-C (2). I'd keep the H4198 it's a good powder for what you want.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    If H4198 is anything like IMR4198, it'll be an excellent powder for your bullets. Using 19.0 grains of IMR4198 and 55 grain Hornady soft points, my 1/9 twist chromoly barrel will deliver sub moa groups...out of an AR. It's a lower power load and cycles perfectly. The hard part is charging the cases. It will not measure through my Lyman powder measure without cutting the granules. I use a Lee dipper and a little measuring spoon and weigh each charge.

c604

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgantown
    I have had good success with benchmark with the lighter weight bullets. My favorite is 27.5gr benchmark with barnes 36gr varmint grenades, really turns hedge apples into a green vapor cloud. I use alot of blc2, and varget also.

Top Bottom