• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    I bought a saiga ak in .223 at the last gun show. It is stamped ".223" on it only, and I've been told you can't shoot 5.56 rounds out of something stamped with just .223. Is this just a rumor, or true? If true, why is it, and what would happen if someone were to shoot a 5.56 out of it? Thanks for any help!

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    It will be fine. The 5.56 in some NATO loads have a tad bit more pressure. Never seen a .223 have a problem with FACTORY 5.56. I would shoot it without hesitation, but I'm a rebel. ;)

fish75

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    southside
    Its a big NO NO! The 5.56 has more pressure being a military round where as the 223 is a cavillian round. Now if the lower says 223 BUT the barrel is stamped 5.56 your good.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    If you are concerned about it, I would think you could get a set of 5.56 gauges and see if it specs out. Since we are talking about a foreign manufacturer of AK variants; I'm skeptical that they are aware of the technical difference between a .223 and 5.56 chamber. Find someone with the gauges and see how it specs out.

Best,

Joe

Last edited:

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Could be hazardous but hey its an AK, probably not the tightest on specs. From Wiki:

While the external case dimensions are very similar, the .223 Remington and 5.56x45mm differ in both maximum pressure and chamber shape. The maximum and mean pressures for some varieties of the 5.56 mm (different cartridge designations have different standards) exceed the SAAMI maximums for the .223 Remington, and the methods for measuring pressures differ between NATO and SAAMI.[5] The 5.56 mm chamber specification has also changed over time since its adoption, as the current military loading (NATO SS-109 or US M855) uses longer, heavier bullets than the original loading did. This has resulted in a lengthening of the throat in the 5.56 mm chamber. Thus, while .223 Remington ammunition can be safely fired in a 5.56 mm chambered gun, firing 5.56 mm ammunition in a .223 Remington chamber may produce pressures in excess of even the 5.56 mm specifications due to the shorter throat.[6]

phil

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bristol
    Haha. So no one really knows what the results would be? I mean, is it more of a precaution or an absolute NO NO?

Is it smart to hold a lit firecracker in your fingers? NO
    If you do, are you guaranteed to blow your fingers off? NO

Same idea here. Chamber pressure of a 5.56 is higher than .223. It does not mean it will or will not blow up your gun, but there is a risk of something bad happening.

I have a friend with an AK in .223 and for the first few years the only thing he fired out of it was 5.56. He didn't know the difference between .223/5.56. His gun never blew up and it still functions fine.

I, personally, would not make a habit of firing 5.56 out of a .223 marked rifle.

Top Bottom