• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    I've got an itch now for a new one myself, thinking of going out tomorrow and getting a ruger but the buckmark is very nice. I see why you asked for advice this is a tough decision.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Lots of good talk about .22 plinkers in this thread! :) Here's some pics of the ones that I enjoy shooting.
    DSC02520.jpg

DSC02004.jpg

DSC02121.jpg

DSC02451.jpg

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    How do you like the heritage? A buddy just bought one have to hit him up to shoot it. Can you make that a 22 mag?

IndianaBuckeye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    .22 plinkers have gotta be my favorite handguns. I have a MKII with a bull barrel, and it could shoot the hair off of a gnat's butt at 100 yds!..... okay, maybe not 100yds, but it is pretty stinkin accurate!! If you are interested in burning through a bunch of ammo, you can even get some speed-loaders that will fill a clip in about 5 seconds :ar15:
    I also love the Ruger Single-six.... it is just plain cool. (single-six looks sweet too) I had a old H&R 9 shot revolver that I have never regretted selling.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    For an inexpensive shooting session a person can really enjoy, you just can't beat a good .22 handgun. I haven't had a chance to shoot this yet, but I just picked up a Ruger Single Ten this morning. I almost always shoot a gun before I buy, but this one I bought before shooting. Not only did the look of the gun appeal to me, I loved the way it felt in my hand when I picked it up. I sold a Walther P22 to help make this purchase. That was a nice little plinker too, but that particular gun wasn't for me.

IMAG0006.jpg

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    How do you like the heritage? A buddy just bought one have to hit him up to shoot it. Can you make that a 22 mag?

My first 22 pistol was a heritage, and its been almost flawless since I brought it home. The only issue I have had with it is the ejector rod had a plastic head to it. I replaced it with one from Numerich for $5 at the time, and the replacement was all steel, as it should be. The 22 Mag cylinder is nice for the option, but after shooting both the mags and a LR hyper vel ammo over the chronograph, the difference is not worth the increase in cost for me.

My suggestion as to what one to settle on? I say both, as I love my wifes buckmark as well. I plan on adding to the rimfire handgun collection as I find ones that catch my eye as well.

IndianaBuckeye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Oops, I meant.... "(single-ten looks sweet too)"

That's an awesome looking single-ten Dr. Midnight!
    I am having a really hard time resisting a SS one of those bad boys.

Let us know what you think after you burn some ammo through it.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Just got a new 22/ 45 yesterday, first ruger 22 handgun. I have a browning buckmark , and gsg 1911. Really like the ruger let you know more after i've put a few rds through it. I would have to agree that 22 cal handguns are my favorite too.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Oops, I meant.... "(single-ten looks sweet too)"

That's an awesome looking single-ten Dr. Midnight!
    I am having a really hard time resisting a SS one of those bad boys.

Let us know what you think after you burn some ammo through it.

I can give you an incomplete review. I took the Single Ten out this morning and ran 150 rounds through it. I took a few different types of ammo with me, and the gun fired each perfectly. Being single action, it really slows you down and helps you focus on your next shot versus a semi-auto. You do lose a ton of time loading and unloading versus a semi-auto, but if you're like me, you easily make that time up because you're not picking up your brass from all over the place. Also, recoil is almost nonexistent with this gun.

Here is the incomplete part. Stupidly, I assumed that the guns sights would be set "dead center" right out of the box. When I first started shooting, I was high and left with everything. I sometimes will shoot that way, but I normally come out of it quickly, but this time I was consistently doing it. It was when I looked at the sights I noticed that they were set to the left and high. I needed my small screwdriver set, but of course I had taken it to work and not brought it back.

Long story short, I didn't like having to compensate for the sights being off, so I'll run some signifcant rounds through it when I get them properly adjusted. I will say, at least for right now, the gun feels great and I think it's a keeper!

GripnRip

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Sig Mosquito

Thanks for all the input. I'm leaning towards a semi-auto .22. I know everyone is recommending the Rugers but I really like the looks of the Sig Sauer Mosquito. Seems they're picky about ammo and the price is a little higher than the Rugers but maybe I can pick up a used one. Anyone have any experience with the Mosquito?

Top Bottom