• ...and so much more!
  • danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Sig Sauer Mosquito or Walther P22? I love the look and feel of both guns, I want to buy one of them, but which one? I'm leaning towards the Sig due to the fact I already own a SP2340 and love it. If you have experience good or bad with either gun, I'd love to hear about it before I go out and buy either on a whim. I am more than likely going for a supressor for either one, they both seem to have threaded barrel variants available.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Never personally owned either.

What kind of price difference between the two are you talking about?

*waits for Pami and Scutter to join in. . . .

GlockRiver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    The Zone
    Just my opinion, but a buddy of mine has a Sig Mosquito and it has given him a lot of trouble. FTF...FTE... you name it. Not sure about the Walther, but hopefully others can chime in about the reliability of the Sig.

:twocents:

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Just my opinion, but a buddy of mine has a Sig Mosquito and it has given him a lot of trouble. FTF...FTE... you name it. Not sure about the Walther, but hopefully others can chime in about the reliability of the Sig.

:twocents:

I've heard similar issues, I'm aware that the Sig can be picky with it's ammo. If the Walther doesn't turn out to be as picky, that will really help me make the decision. Thank you. :yesway:

vi3t1uv

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2008
    Indy
    Walther all the way. Happily owned it. No problem at all, don't have any experiences with the other one. Hope that help

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Walther all the way. Happily owned it. No problem at all, don't have any experiences with the other one. Hope that help

I have a P22 and I run a Outback II suppressor on it. Never had any problems to speak of. Keeps all ammo subsonic with the Gemtech.

Are either of you running "bulk" .22 i.e. Remington "Golden Bullet" 500 round boxes or anything of that nature, or do you generally run the more expensive ammo? I know most .22 is cheap anyway, but I'd like to know that the gun will run most anything I feed it without issue.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I hate the heavy trigger on the Mosquito. I much prefer shooting the P22. The grip feels better, as does the trigger. It's already threaded for a suppressor and it looks like a space gun. What more do you want? :

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Wife's P22 eats the Federal bulk pak ammo like candy, FTF and FTE in the 1.5% to 2% range. I have a MK III and between us, we usually will go through an entire 550 rounds every time we go to the range.

:draw:

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Are either of you running "bulk" .22 i.e. Remington "Golden Bullet" 500 round boxes or anything of that nature, or do you generally run the more expensive ammo? I know most .22 is cheap anyway, but I'd like to know that the gun will run most anything I feed it without issue.

The P22 loves the bulk ammo. I have heard of some problems with the P22. From first hand experience, if you clean it before using it the first time and run the bulk ammo,from either Remington or Federal, than you should have no problems. I have over a 1000 rounds through mine and the only trouble I had was when I took it directly from the Gun show to the range. After cleaning it I have had no problems whatsoever.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Well, it sounds like the P22 is the better of the two. I like the idea of a 226 in .22, but to be honest if I'm going to buy a 226, it'll be a 9mm.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    I agree, that is why I like it. You get it as a .22 and then up to a year later you get the 9mm upper only and have a 226 in 9mm and you have cheap practice in .22 available too!

I had a P22 and it ran OK for me, but it was picky on ammo. I tried about everything and about 40% would run reliably in it. Mini Mags were the fall back ammo, and the best bulk ammo was remmington blue box bulk, but I cannot find that anymore. I also had the laser for it, but it was pointless outdoors as you can't see it in daylight at all. Still a nice gun and it was easy to suppress. It ran much better suppressed than it did normally that is for sure. Fun, but a little too small for me and not near accurate enough. I do not need target grade, but I did desire more accuracy than it would give me. P22 was sold, I would consider getting another one one day, but not right now. There are a ton of fixes for the known issues on rimfirecentral that you should do. The biggest one is rounding off the ears to keep them from chewing up the zink slide. That one is critical for most of them last I had read, and you must do it before you shoot it. They might have fixed that, but I had not heard if they have. Go to Rimfirecentral in the Walther section and read up, they know the most there out of anywhere on the p22.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I agree, that is why I like it. You get it as a .22 and then up to a year later you get the 9mm upper only and have a 226 in 9mm and you have cheap practice in .22 available too!

The only problem I have with that is that the 9mm upper is still $400, so for the price of two guns, you get one and a half guns.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Question for the OP: Are you dead set on just these two examples?

There are PLENTY of other offerings out there, some of which are lower in price...

Don't limit yourself to just the Mosquito or the P-22... Unless, of course, you want "miniature" version of a centerfire caliber.

-J-

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Question for the OP: Are you dead set on just these two examples?

There are PLENTY of other offerings out there, some of which are lower in price...

Don't limit yourself to just the Mosquito or the P-22... Unless, of course, you want "miniature" version of a centerfire caliber.

-J-

I'm far from dead set on either pistol, those are the two that I've only been able to handle in gun shops and I was wondering what sort of specific input I could get about those two. I also like the Ruger Mk II's and III's, but I don't want another one of those. My dad always had at least one Ruger .22 for me to shoot growing up, I don't dislike them by any means, but the two I like the best so far, (short of shooting them) are the p22 and the Mosquito. Things seem to be leaning in the P22's favor so far, to be honest, I actually expected that to happen but I wanted to see for sure. Anything in particular you would suggest?

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Wife's P22

I bought my wife the pink P22 a couple of month's ago. This may have been the best decision I've ever made. Now she constantly nags me to go with her to the range... Before, she would give me the "wife look" whenever I wanted to go shoot.

The Walther is far superior to the Sig Mosquito. Follow the Sig Moquito online threads and you will find that it might just be the worst gun Sig ever made.

btw - I think my wife loves her P22 more than me. Maybe I should be worried.

Top Bottom