• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jzwhts

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Mooresville
    I still do not really understand the .22 shortage. Is it just because everybody has a .22 and people are hoarding because of the uncertainty of our future because of our country's leadership and financial situation?

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    The manufacturing companies are not gonna produce the ammo with the smallest profit margin when they have orders to fill that are more lucrative. This is just a guess at what might be going on...

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Traderdan makes a good point. Plus, think about the market for .22lr. When larger calibers started becoming scarce and the price gougers came out, they created a situation where many shooters would rather not pay $30-$50 for 50 rounds of 9mm and instead started flocking to .22. It's cheaper anyway, and when prices for other ammo went up .22 became more popular. Now, you've got a situation where we're out of everything and as traderdan pointed out, the higher profit margin ammo is taking precedent at the moment.

Onebad06vtx

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Ellettsville
    I dont understand how there could be a shortage of 22 ammo.
    I was at one company and seen the process they used to make 22 lr shells.
    They made a little over 1 million rounds a day,and thats just one company.
    I know people are hording but still you would think it would still be easier to get then it is.

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    I would have never guessed the run on .22s?! Just a round that has always been available. I still remember as a kid I'd go hunting prairie dogs with my grand dad and we'd buy a brick for $7.50. Sometimes he'd buy a brick of hollow-points for $10.00. :)

barnstormer37

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013
    A factory makes 1,000,000 .22's a day. Some individuals put away, say, 20,000 rounds each. Only takes 50 stock piles to use up the 1,000,000. One day's production disappears. Might be an exaggeration, but with government agencies as well as individuals stocking up, it might not be that far off.

If only one million .22 owners (and there's probably many more than that) each stock up only 2,000 rounds, hmmm---
    1,000,000 X 2,000 =2,000,000,000 ---duh--- two billion rounds. Need lots of factory days (like 2,000 of 'em) to supply just the stockpile, not to mention replacing the ones that get used up.:twocents:

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Its funny how people forget so fast, back in 08 it was the exact same thing except the stupid prices so eventually will see more availability but unfortunately the prices will remain somewhat high.

coban

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    SW Indiana
    Everybody owns a 22 and they are relatively cheap. So its much more convenient to buy a couple thousand rounds than stocking up on the cheapest centerfire ammo.

fro65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    South of Ft. Wayne
    What amazes me is the fact that everything is unavailable. Even the high dollar match ammo like Tenex and Lapua. In '08, the madness didn't seem to extend beyond the 'Wallyworld bulk pack' type ammo.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I dont understand how there could be a shortage of 22 ammo.
    I was at one company and seen the process they used to make 22 lr shells.
    They made a little over 1 million rounds a day,and thats just one company.
    I know people are hording but still you would think it would still be easier to get then it is.

Do the math. 1,000,000 rounds only = 1818 bulk backs. Over 50 states and over each county in Indiana that equates to 3 bulk boxes per county per week. People keep talking about how millions of rounds are produced. But if you do a little math you realize that is really not much once it is spread nation wide.

Top Bottom