• ...and so much more!
  • Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    389   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I bought one of the CMMG .22 conversion kits for an AR. Thoughts on using my Surefire suppressor on it?
    I don't recommend shooting a 22LR through anything but a rimfire dedicated suppressor. They get really dirty, and flecks of lead will come off the bullet during firing, and will gum up the inside of your suppressor. Surefire cans aren't meant to be taken down. You could soak them in a suppressor cleaner solution, but you're honestly better off getting a rimfire suppressor that you can scrub with a brush (i.e., Dead Air Mask 22, Silencerco Sparrow, Q Erector or El Camino, etc).

Not trying to sell another suppressor, but rimfire is it's own beast and needs it's own equipment. Shooting 556 through a centerfire suppressor caked with lead will probably make the problem far worse. It wouldn't clean it out. Shooting hot ammo through a dedicated centerfire can will clean it, since it blows all the powder residue out. But leading is another story.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I don't recommend shooting a 22LR through anything but a rimfire dedicated suppressor. They get really dirty, and flecks of lead will come off the bullet during firing, and will gum up the inside of your suppressor. Surefire cans aren't meant to be taken down. You could soak them in a suppressor cleaner solution, but you're honestly better off getting a rimfire suppressor that you can scrub with a brush (i.e., Dead Air Mask 22, Silencerco Sparrow, Q Erector or El Camino, etc).

Not trying to sell another suppressor, but rimfire is its own beast and needs it's own equipment. Shooting 556 through a centerfire suppressor caked with lead will probably make the problem far worse. It wouldn't clean it out. Shooting hot ammo through a dedicated centerfire can will clean it, since it blows all the powder residue out. But leading is another story.
    Thanks Andrew.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I bought one of the CMMG .22 conversion kits for an AR. Thoughts on using my Surefire suppressor on it?
    I will say this with the Surefire Socoms that we have. I called my kid and told him that I cant get one of them off a Rock River after a few hundred rounds, and how do I get it off.
    He laughed and said, Its Marine tough Pops, unlock it and shoot it off.
    Well it went down range about 35-40' when I shot it, No harm done.
    Money well spent each time.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I will say this with the Surefire Socoms that we have. I called my kid and told him that I cant get one of them off a Rock River after a few hundred rounds, and how do I get it off.
    He laughed and said, Its Marine tough Pops, unlock it and shoot it off.
    Well it went down range about 35-40' when I shot it, No harm done.
    Money well spent each time.
    I had to grunt a little taking it off after 120 rounds today. Plus, it was burning my little baby hands…

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Yeah, I was more thinking of it being mainly on the AR that is being switched back and forth from .22 to .556.
    The AR that it ends up on, will be a dedicated .22 LR rifle. I have a BCM upper with a Surefire muzzle device, not currently being used. So it ran through my mind that I could use it for the 22 and use the surefire suppressor. Sounds like that is not such a good idea.

DD15CBUS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 16, 2024
    Columbus
    The AR that it ends up on, will be a dedicated .22 LR rifle. I have a BCM upper with a Surefire muzzle device, not currently being used. So it ran through my mind that I could use it for the 22 and use the surefire suppressor. Sounds like that is not such a good idea.
    Most (if not all) 22 cans are direct thread. If you dont have that device pin/weld, I'd grab a 22LR can, and remove the muzzle device, then direct thread and let it live there on that upper.
    Or grab the collar (if needed) for the CMMG kit and a dedicated 1:16 twist CMMG barrel and make a dedicated suppressed upper for it :)

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I had to grunt a little taking it off after 120 rounds today. Plus, it was burning my little baby hands…
    No worries Baby Girl, no Judging from me.
    My sister uses one of these and she also has a pair of carbon fiber mittens.

Top Bottom