.22 handgun for my children. Suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USPSA_10mm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Plainfield IN
    Hey Guys and Gals,
    My daughter did really well the last couple of time we went to the range. But, the Ruger 22/45 was way too heavy and long trigger reach for her to shoot long/easily. What would be a good pistol for her? I was considering the Wather P22 or the Ruger SR22. The S&W M&P 22 looks just as big as it's center fire siblings. The ISSC M22 is cool, cause she will probably shoot her mothers Glock 17 when she starts shooting USPSA with us. But, I think it's just as big as the 9mm Glocks. Her hand is now 6" long from middle finger to wrist, and index finger about 2". I specifically want a semi-auto. She has done very well with the airsoft replica of the Glock 29. The Ruger is just too heavy for her. I know many of you would suggest a revolver for her first pistol, but I'd rather not. Are there any other small gripped .22lr pistols?
    Thanks in advance!

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    If it is going to be a gift, wrap up a big ass box within a box within a box etc, till she opens a card that says " this token good for one .22 hangun". Then take her around to shops you know have the ones you are thinking about, and let her take a hold of them and see which one she likes. There are only 1 or 2 out there that some people have problems with, so make sure you narrow the field a bit.

Sounds like a great opportunity for a Father/Daughter afternoon!

defender14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fishers
    The Ruger sr22 may be a good option, I have one and have put about 800 rounds through it with minimal issues (only issues have been maybe 4 underpowered rounds of federal bulk from walmart that fire but don't fully retract the slide), haven't had any issues with cci minimag or velocitor, and my last shooting session of 200 rounds of federal had zero issues

The slide is very easy to operate and it has a small and a large grip that comes with it, I use the large and it is just slightly smaller than the grip on my sr9c, once my daughter is old enough (she is only 4 now...) I plan on seeing how it works for her.

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    The idea about taking her out to find something that fits is a good one. As for options to consider? My boy is 10 and he thought he liked the s&w 22a best, but then he tried the Sig 1911 22 and that...he loves. Fits him very well.
    Good luck and enjoy.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have no idea of the model, but I just saw the samllest 1911 I've ever seen, and it was a .22Lr.

It was a Colt commemorative of some kind. Gold enlay... Probably a little more spendy than most would want for a child, but you might be able to find a stock version.

It was a really neat little Colt.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    My daughters like to shoot my P22. They handle it just fine. They especially like it supressed.

I know you don't want a revolver but most of all they prefer my Heritage Rough Rider. They just like shooting it and are very proficient in loading/unloading it, etc. :twocents:

TylerAdels

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Fort Wayne & Bloomington, IN
    My little sister occasionally shoots my mother's Browning Buckmark. She doesn't have large hands and the Buckmark small frame fits her hand perfectly. If you've ever fired one you know how easy they are to hold and handle and they have very little recoil like nearly all .22 target pistols. That's my two cents, good luck with your daughter!

RandomCubed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    The Browning 1911 .22 is 80% sized to the full size, its also aluminum by and large, might be worth a look for smaller hands.
    I'd also agree with those above that say the Ruger SR22 its fairly small.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    [QUOTE=RandomCubed;2663634]The Browning 1911 .22 is 80% sized to the full size, its also aluminum by and large, might be worth a look for smaller hands.
    I'd also agree with those above that say the Ruger SR22 its fairly small.[/QUOTE]

That's it! It wasn't a Colt come to think of it. It WAS a Browning.

Rep's for pointing it out!

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    As another member said, the Ruger SR22 has the two different grip sizes. The large one that I held seemed to be pretty small so I would reckon that the small would be pretty small compared to about any other. Plus, as she gets older, the pistol can grow with her to the larger grip.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My kids did OK with my old Buckmark and reddot. The High Standard was a better rig IMHO but they didn't like the weight or target grips. Leave it to grandpa to spoil them........all 3 girls LOVED shooting his Colt Woodsman.

Too much $ for me, think a Huntsman might be doable.

USPSA_10mm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Plainfield IN
    All, thank you so much for the suggestions! I didn't think about the little browning 1911 22, even though I read an article on one. Good point about the grip safety. Thanks for the heads up on that one forkliftdave! If they don't have a modern trigger disconnect, I wouldn't want to disable the grip safety. I am partial to 1911s, but like the spartan design of glocks too. If anyone has any experience with the little ISSC "glocklike" 22 let me know. The Phoenix might make a decent pocket gun for mommy too... I was surprised looking at the Neo, the trigger is just off of the grip, so the length of pull is much shorter than I had assumed. The little single action revolvers might be work out well. I just might have to buy a couple of 22s to find one that works. We'll have to stop by Plainfield shooting supplies and see what he has. We like to call it the Chuck Norris mall, guns, tanning, and karate in one stop shopping.
    Thanks again,
    Mark.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Single action .22 revolver there are tons out there and you can usually pick them up relatively cheap. My personal favorite is the Colt Frontier Scout but those are harder to find.

Top Bottom