• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aijk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Eminence
    I know they already said it but you cant go wrong with a ruger mark ii or iii. I got a mark iii and my son got a mark iii 22/45.

CSORuger

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Brownsburg Indiana
    Ruger Mark III Standard had eather a 4.75" barrel lenght or a 6" fires 22LF around $350.00
    Ruger 22/45 Bull barrel Rimfire pistol 5.50 barrel lenght pricing starts around $325.00 and up.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Ruger Mark series is definitely the way to go. I have a blued Mark II 5.5" target model and a Mark III 22/45 blued 5.5" target model with red dot scope and replaceable 1911 style grips. Wife loves the red dot sight. Both guns are amazingly accurate and so much fun to shoot. Can't wait to get my hands on a third one, next one will be Polished Stainless Steel model with either slab sides or fluted barrel. Gotta save up some cheese.

boblade

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2011
    If you want a a good Target 22 in Auto,look for a Old High Standard Military,if you want a Wheel Gun Look for a old S&W 17

boblade

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2011
    I have a High Standard H-D Military Made 1947 shoots Like a Anshutz Rifle,also Have a S&W K-22 Master piece 6" that shoots just as well,the Older guns have twice the workman ship put in them then the new guns on the Market Today.

jwhite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    I started with a hi-point.. right when i turned 21, bought one for 170. brand new.. still have it.. only 2 jams in 700 rounds.. (both are in the first 100 rounds).. REALLY little recoil with it being heavy as a brick.. but it wasnt expensive and 9mm is pretty cheap to shoot..

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Any Ruger Mark series would be good. My first .22 pistol was and still is a Ruger Single Six. Being a single action you are taking one shot at a time and that keeps you focused on the basics such as sight picture and triger control. Plus the pull on my Single Six is comparable to the pull on the Mark series. It also comes with the .22 & .22mag cylinders jus love the gun!

:+1:A Ruger Single Six was my first handgun also and I still have it. Great gun to start with. Love mine and will never part with it.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Revolver first, if possible

I have a Buckmark that gets a lot of use on tin cans in the outback. I also have an old H&R Sportsman .22 dbl action revolver.

For a brand new shooter I like the wheelgun because:
    - fire it single or double action
    - shooter can SEE the hammer
    - when loading, each round is placed in the cylinder
    - ejecting is a separate operation

So, for me, I think a revolver really allows the new shooter to SEE what is happening and have a better chance of actually learning something about weapons. I also like the fact that if a shooter accidently "sweeps" the firing line that the actual danger is lessened.

Pappy:twocents:

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I don't follow. How is sweeping with a revolver any less dangerous than with a semiauto?

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Ruger Single Six (single action only), Ruger MK I, II, II or Browning Buckmark (single action semi-auto), S&W 22 revolver (double action) or a Sig Mosquito (double action semi-auto). Any or all would be good.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    I have two options that I own and have good opinions of. I am sure that there are many others.

Most of the the Heritage Rough Rider revolvers come with a .22lr and .22mag cylinder so you can fire either. You can usually find them for under $200 so it is a good value in my opinion. I have used ours to train my daughters to shoot pistols, and I can tell you that we all enjoy it. The finish is not the highest quality, but I keep mine very clean and have had no problems with the blued finish or barrel or cylinder.

heritage_15559.jpg

The second is the Walther P22. This is a semi automatic pistol that I have found fun to shoot and fairly reliable for a .22lr semi auto. Mine was a little picky with ammo at first, but over time and after the break in, is more forgiving. I liked it because it also came with a threaded barrel from the factory, so when I decide to go the suppressor route, the P22 with be good to go. I picked mine up new from one of the 1500 shows for less than $300.

One thing that frustrated me previously was that the magazines only hold 10 rounds, but they load quickly and are cheap enough to get some extras.

Hope it helps. My :twocents:...
    First, wow, what a nice looking gun. Love that one. Second, I just bought a Rough Rider myself, yours is more beautiful, and have a mag question. Can you shoot CCI .22WMR rounds thru it? I havent fired mine yet but I did buy a box of CCI .22WMR rounds at the same time. :)

Ryan281

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    My vote would be for the single 6 as well. It fits nearly any hand size, is simple, rugged, and extremely accurate.
    Ryan

Top Bottom