• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twisyblackmetal

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2010
    Personally, I would opt for a bigger caliber but any defense is better than none. Any weapon you are comfy with is better than one you aren't. My wife is very comfy with a MKII Ruger and while it is not the optimal SD gun, she is comfortable and proficient in it's use. I did ask her to please dump the entire mag into any real threat though.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I carried a pen in my pocket for years, and it was comfortable. Joe Pesci taught me about the lethality of pens years ago.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    My thoughts... the 22 is cheap to practice with. Rapid repeat shot placement is not hard with these type pistols. Ten shots center mass at ten yards... could take all of two seconds and with recoil being almost nonexistant, very possible. One might not be much of a s top but ten would definitely slow them down. If I were in a situation and all I had close was my mosquito, I would be comfortable using it. My edc is an MP 9mm on my back and a bodyguard .380 in my pocket. The bg has a little more kick than I like, being a pocket gun.

Last edited:

DMNewton69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Well thanks for all the info I think I will still get the p22 but only carry that when I have on lighter clothes like a t shirt and basketball shorts, and I think for my main carry it well either be a P99 that chambers 9mm or 40s&w

JoshuaRWhite

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    South Bend, Indiana
    Carry only what you can comfortably shoot. If 22 is tha caliber than carry it. Most people forget that most agencies around the world use 22 for taking out a hit. CIA, Israel, the British(forget their agency). It's gonna be about shot placement. Just take into account what has been said so far, rimfire is not 100% reliable.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    Well thanks for all the info I think I will still get the p22 but only carry that when I have on lighter clothes like a t shirt and basketball shorts, and I think for my main carry it well either be a P99 that chambers 9mm or 40s&w

Dead set on Walther, I presume? If you were worried about size and weight the P99 doesn't seem to be the best choice. I wish I owned one, but not for carry (unless I were undercover in a bad place saving the world and stuff). It would be better as a WROL sidearm (without rule of law) if the S really did HTF.

But, you'll still have the P22 if you don't feel like lugging around a full-size pistol.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I was wanting to know if a Walther P22 would be a good or poor decision for my concealed carry. I know it doesn't have a lot of stopping power but in my opinion its all about shot placement. And I would still have my old trust S&W 357 in the glove box. Just thinking about the walther cause it is light and easy to carry. Just let me know what you think Thanks

Walther P22 is nothing more than a "fun gun" to me. The one I had was unreliable and there is no way I would trust my life to it. I'd buy a cheap Taurus 9mm before I'd carry a P22. Yes I said Taurus.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I really find it hard to believe people haven't mentioned reliability...whilst the ammo is cheap, it is hardly reliable in my experience.

I'm biased as I prefer the 45, but perhaps a ruger LC9. Pretty small, ammo is pretty cheap, and it will (more than likely) go bang every time.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I'd keep .22's to the "deep-cover-I-ran-out-of-all-other-bullets" type of gun. While having any gun is definitely better than having no gun, being able to stop an attacker, (rather than just annoy him and give him free nipple piercings,) is probably desirable.

That being said, I'm currently supporting my fiancee in her wish to purchase a North American Arms mini-revolver in .22 mag. As it stands, she has a .38 special that she doesn't carry often, because its too large. Considering that she is excited to purchase this NAA and wants to make a garter holster for it, (thanks, Sons of Guns, :p) I'm going to go ahead and keep supporting that. Its better than a .38 at home.

Plus, it'll make that whole "toss the garter" at the wedding that much more interesting. :p

So, in summary.....yeah, better than nothing, but not as good as many other options.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I carry a Taurus PT-22 alot because of the size and I feel it's reliable. I like the concealability of a small pistol and a well placed shot group of .22 will do the job in my opinion. BUT if I'm gonna be working in the hood, I'm most likely packin the .45

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Have you tried to Google "self defense 22lr ammo?"
    Funny how none of the big name high dollar ammo companies advertise their .22lr self defense ammo isn't it? Just sayin'...;)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom