• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    The more I talk to others regarding finding .22 caliber rounds (the inexpensive Remington and Winchester bricks) in retail stores and gun shops, the more I get concerned replenishing my reserve. Does anyone have the inside scoop as to why .22s are nowhere to be found?

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Unfortunately, .22lr ammo is hard to find for the same reasons almost all other common calibers (9mm, .223/5.56, etc) are getting scarce. Everyone is afraid they won't be able to get anymore in about a month or so.

Blackout

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Unfortunately, .22lr ammo is hard to find for the same reasons almost all other common calibers (9mm, .223/5.56, etc) are getting scarce. Everyone is afraid they won't be able to get anymore in about a month or so.

I agree there. Ammo is flying out the stores where I'm at. .22 seems to be selling like crazy where I'm at. They had 2 boxes left at our walmart, thats in less of a week after it has been filled.

myloudfamily

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    I have visited stores from cabelas to Wal-Mart and everywhere in between and ammo shelves look like toys r us shelves after black Friday!!!!

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I learned this the hard way and ran out. Then I stockpiled it :) Just look everytime you are at WalMart and if they have some pick up at least one bulk pack each time.

LionsFan1911Man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2012
    I have a few hundred rounds of each caliber, and I love shooting as well, but now I'm hesitant to shoot it since it's getting so scarce. It sucks!!!

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I am beginning to take a hard look at .17HMR, with the run on all the popular low to medium range rifle calibers 5.56/.223, .22LR, 7.62x39 ect. Every where I go they are out but I always see .17HMR. I have always thought that having fire arms in popular calibers was a good thing, but maybe having an odd ball doesn't hurt either. :twocents:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    My local WM was devoid of most 22 ammo except a few 50 rd boxes. It usually has plenty of bulk 22 stuff on hand. What was surprising was that they had plenty of most other calibers. I need some Federal AutoMatch for my CZs!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    We stopped by the Walmart in Paoli yesterday. I went back to the sporting goods area while my wife was shopping, really not intending on buying anything. But when they had several 100 round boxes of .45's, I couldn't resist. The lady there is really nice. Another guy was looking for .22's and all they had were the 225 round boxes. So he asked for a couple of those and when I asked for the .45's, she scoffed at me. So I pointed to them and she was surprised they had any at all. Now that they're $39.99 a box, I couldn't afford to clean them out, so there's still a few boxes left as of about 5pm yesterday.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    People are just grabbing whats there no matter what it is. I have some but not what I normally have I have refrained from buying big purchases to let some other have some too.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I was at Shooter's in New Haven yesterday and got 300 rounds of CCI, he looked like he only had about 500 more or so on the shelf.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    On Dec 22 I was at Gander in Greenwood and I could have bought 50 or 60 boxes of the Federal 525's for $19.99 a box....which is not a GREAT price, but it's an OK price. They told me they were not having any trouble getting it in. I think I bought 8 or 10 boxes, some for me and the rest for Christmas presents.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Little piece of advice - get Federal bulk packs. I have had several .22s and the Golden Bullet from Remington is just garbage.

That has been my experience as well. Those, Thunderbolts, and Wildcats have all been dirty and poor shooters with more than normal rates of duds.

bartb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Johnson County
    That has been my experience as well. Those, Thunderbolts, and Wildcats have all been dirty and poor shooters with more than normal rates of duds.
    Really? My M&P22 loves the Remington Golden Bullets. I have tried the Federal 550 and I had decent luck with the first box (nothing too abnormal for .22) Then on the 2nd and 3rd box attempts I was plagued with feeding issues. I tried a few out of a buddy's Winchester 555 box and my M&P hated those too. I switched to Remington Golden Bullets and haven't had many problems since. Of course if you want no problems CCI is best.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Really? My M&P22 loves the Remington Golden Bullets. I have tried the Federal 550 and I had decent luck with the first box (nothing too abnormal for .22) Then on the 2nd and 3rd box attempts I was plagued with feeding issues. I tried a few out of a buddy's Winchester 555 box and my M&P hated those too. I switched to Remington Golden Bullets and haven't had many problems since. Of course if you want no problems CCI is best.

My Marlin's all seem to like the Federal's much better than anything else, and I have to agree with you on the CCI stuff, great ammo.

Top Bottom